Could the M Cup move

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I know this is out there, and I am sure Saginaw will get better BUT

If Saginaw remains near the bottom of the conference and league can the CHL move the Cup to a different location or have a different team represent the home team?

I seem to remember it being done before with I think Hamilton or Brantford.

Reactions: HF92

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

If Saginaw remains near the bottom of the conference and league can the CHL move the Cup to a different location or have a different team represent the home team?

It's 10 games in, why would you even suggest this at this point?!
You need another hobby.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

In 1990 the Dukes of Hamilton were a last place team in the league. The team pulled out of the tournament but the Memorial Cup was still in Hamilton. Kitchener who lost to Oshawa in the league final replaced Hamilton as the OHL second team in the cup. This is the risk the CHL takes by selecting the host so early. It was better when the host was selected half way through the season in the year the cup is being held.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
It's 10 games in, why would you even suggest this at this point?!
You need another hobby.
It is a concern. Not are not even a middle of the pack but currently sit out of the playoffs. It is too early to panic. Their number one goaltender, Andrew Oke is out of with an injury. If after 20 games they are still in the same place in the standings there is an issue the CHL may have to deal with. I am not sure if the Spirit have the assets to make a lot of the trades they need to make. They have the draft picks but come up short on young players they are willing to move to make the needed players. Because they are hosting the Memorial Cup they have to make trades to contend and under their current situation to even be competitive. This could result in them having to overpay to make some of the trades they will need to make.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They have eight 2nds, five 3rds, and seven 4ths in the next five seasons... along with an 05 or two up front, plus their 1st round in 2023. On D, they have a couple young guys they could move. They'll pull out every stop to make their team competitive if/when necessary.
They actually have five 2nds & 4ths (‘25-27) and four 3rds (‘/4-27) over the four years picks can be traded. They will empty the cupboards and should be a competitive host, but I have doubted since the bids went in that any could be as good as ‘17 spitfires.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
They actually have five 2nds & 4ths (‘25-27) and four 3rds (‘/4-27) over the four years picks can be traded. They will empty the cupboards and should be a competitive host, but I have doubted since the bids went in that any could be as good as ‘17 spitfires.
Unless they are able to include Young or other ‘07’s via two part deals, that cupboard buys them a couple higher end vets and maybe an OA upgrade.

Will that be enough?

Reactions: dirty12

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Easy to panic when the host team has won 1 game in their last 8, will be 9 by the end of tonight barring some miracle win over the Steelheads...but still time to turn the season around nonetheless...

Let's say hypothetically the CHL pulls out of Saginaw...who reimburses the Spirit, the City and whoever for the money they have poured into putting on the event, ie. marketing, infrastructure etc.? I am sure Dow is going to come knocking for their "sponsorship" money back. This is a bill that the CHL doesn't want to foot...they'd sooner give up Saginaw's automatic spot to another team than move it out of the City imo

This a super 'homer' comment, the Sault is the obvious 2nd choice and I am sure Lukenda would no doubt pour out the necessary money to move the MC if he was approached

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Easy to panic when the host team has won 1 game in their last 8, will be 9 by the end of tonight barring some miracle win over the Steelheads...but still time to turn the season around nonetheless...

Let's say hypothetically the CHL pulls out of Saginaw...who reimburses the Spirit, the City and whoever for the money they have poured into putting on the event, ie. marketing, infrastructure etc.? I am sure Dow is going to come knocking for their "sponsorship" money back. This is a bill that the CHL doesn't want to foot...they'd sooner give up Saginaw's automatic spot to another team than move it out of the City imo
I think the embarrassment of pulling out of Saginaw trumps a sub par performance by the Spirit at the tourney.

Things would have to get really bad before they pull out. The powers that be would much rather a 2014 London host performance than the backlash / negativity of pulling out of Saginaw or keeping the tourney there with a different host team.

I agree though that they will get better after they empty the cupboard.

If nothing else, it should give competitors in the west to go all in harder with what could be a subpar host who may be eliminated early.

Frank the Skank

Jan 11, 2019
104 Row D 15

No, it would be a logistical nightmare. The team may pull out but the site will not change

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
It is a concern. Not are not even a middle of the pack but currently sit out of the playoffs. It is too early to panic. Their number one goaltender, Andrew Oke is out of with an injury. If after 20 games they are still in the same place in the standings there is an issue the CHL may have to deal with. I am not sure if the Spirit have the assets to make a lot of the trades they need to make. They have the draft picks but come up short on young players they are willing to move to make the needed players. Because they are hosting the Memorial Cup they have to make trades to contend and under their current situation to even be competitive. This could result in them having to overpay to make some of the trades they will need to make.

There was a better choice but the full picture was not shown with injuries to the Soo all year, we never had our full team. The other side of it is money talked, it's pretty obvious money talked and they didn't pick the best roster available.

No, it would be a logistical nightmare. The team may pull out but the site will not change

The league will not change the host location, only the representing team, if they did anything at all. Agreed.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023

I think Saginaw will be much better. I think much like in the NHL, the US thanksgiving weekend is a good artificial mark in the sand to determine how a team will fare the balance of the season. It allows for corrections and player movement to settle a bit more. THey have too many good pieces to be playing at this level. I think it would take an unmitigated disaster like a tractor trailer off a cliff falling onto a ship to cause it to sink before they change anything (i.e representative team)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There was a better choice but the full picture was not shown with injuries to the Soo all year, we never had our full team. The other side of it is money talked, it's pretty obvious money talked and they didn't pick the best roster available.

The league will not change the host location, only the representing team, if they did anything at all. Agreed.
The Soo was not a better choice, probably the 4th best choice

Reactions: MJ5

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The Soo was not a better choice, probably the 4th best choice

4th? Really? 2nd at worst. Kingston and Niagara have good facilities but not so good teams and management/ownership. Soo has a good facility and management/ownership but the team was a bit of a question mark at decision time even though it was known they would be much better this year. It made sense to pick Saginaw at the time as Saginaw had everything going for them at bid time but are underachieving right now. In hindsight, they will have to do a lot of buying to be a contender.

Reactions: Ferda11

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
4th? Really? 2nd at worst. Kingston and Niagara have good facilities but not so good teams and management/ownership. Soo has a good facility and management/ownership but the team was a bit of a question mark at decision time even though it was known they would be much better this year. It made sense to pick Saginaw at the time as Saginaw had everything going for them at bid time but are underachieving right now. In hindsight, they will have to do a lot of buying to be a contender.
I am not sure they have the assets to add what they need. They have five, 2nds, four, 3rds and six, 4ths that can use but don’t have the quality 17 year olds that they are willing to move to get many of the big names. They only have enough draft picks to make two big moves with only draft picks being traded in one and a player and draft picks being traded in the other. They need to add a goal scoring right winger. Another forward likely an offensive centre, at least another defenceman and a goaltender.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Acutely Niagara not that bad this season

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I am not sure they have the assets to add what they need. They have five, 2nds, four, 3rds and six, 4ths that can use but don’t have the quality 17 year olds that they are willing to move to get many of the big names. They only have enough draft picks to make two big moves with only draft picks being traded in one and a player and draft picks being traded in the other. They need to add a goal scoring right winger. Another forward likely an offensive centre, at least another defenceman and a goaltender.

You're probably right unless there are some favor deals done to benefit other teams down the road

Acutely Niagara not that bad this season

The OHL will never give your owner a memorial cup or anything important until he stops being an embarrassment. The Ice Dogs are improved but still the worst on paper out of the four bidding teams

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

Who? Surely not the Hounds. Compared to Saginaw, they have more bodies to move in Christopher Brown, Alex Kostov, Landon Miller, Matthew Virgilio than Saginaw does, in comparison. OHL established players, playing on a team that's in the top 3.

People are arguing that Saginaw shouldn't host because of their standings but arguing Soo is the 4th best choice and they are the best in standings. Odd situation. I think what happened was the Soo didn't have a full roster all year, dealt with injuries to their #1 goalie and Owen Allard, and others and never got a real chance to prove themselves. What you're seeing is proof of that this season with a roster who went through their growing pains last season. Didn't get a fair assessment at all, and there isn't a real way to argue that...just look at the standings. I like proof not imaginary "what if they make this move and that move" lol. If they need to make that many moves then the roster wasn't the best roster available to host, sorry.

EDIT: I think you were talking about Saginaw eh? @Petes1987

Last edited:
Reactions: SSMHoundsFan

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
But, the reality is they're not moving anything. Host city or team. They will fight through this, Saginaw will get better, not great but better.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Who? Surely not the Hounds. Compared to Saginaw, they have more bodies to move in Christopher Brown, Alex Kostov, Landon Miller, Matthew Virgilio than Saginaw does, in comparison. OHL established players, playing on a team that's in the top 3.

People are arguing that Saginaw shouldn't host because of their standings but arguing Soo is the 4th best choice and they are the best in standings. Odd situation. I think what happened was the Soo didn't have a full roster all year, dealt with injuries to their #1 goalie and Owen Allard, and others and never got a real chance to prove themselves. What you're seeing is proof of that this season with a roster who went through their growing pains last season. Didn't get a fair assessment at all, and there isn't a real way to argue that...just look at the standings. I like proof not imaginary "what if they make this move and that move" lol. If they need to make that many moves then the roster wasn't the best roster available to host, sorry.

I said possibly 4th best host because location and amenities are a big part of the bid; and of all the bids, Saginaw was the safest pick of teams to be at least competitive.

Reactions: HockeyPops and HF92

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Saginaw will be just fine. Let's give them longer than 12 games before we start making some judgements on there future. I can see DD pulling a rabbit or 2 out of his hat. Plenty of young talent Parekh, Misa, McNamara, Young can entice plenty of teams to make a deal or 3. Like it or not they are not switching venues or taking Saginaw out of the Cup. Few years ago he ended up with Tippett and McLeod at the deadline. I think we are underestimating how clever DD is.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

I was talking about Saginaw. I was commenting on Voice from the North’s comment about about the trades the Spirit likely will have to make. In my opinion the Soo should have been selected as the host city.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I was talking about Saginaw. I was commenting on Voice from the North’s comment about about the trades the Spirit likely will have to make. In my opinion the Soo should have been selected as the host city.

Yah, I read it over a second time and realized that. Haha.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
As much as one certain fan base would love for this to happen..no chance. I don’t think they’ll finish at the top of the west, but they’ll start to get going once they make some moves.

Kelowna was just barely above .500 in their host season in 2019/2020. Unfortunately the cancelled Mem Cup didn’t give us a chance to see how well they would’ve performed in the tournament against all of the top seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad