Could the Leafs Surprise In 2016-17?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Not too bothered about Toronto's 16-17 point totals. Even if they surprise and make the playoffs, they're probably not going deep. I'd rather they keep selling off older assets and get another lottery pick.

On Montreal with a healthy Carey Price, I think that they are a wild card team at best. I think their defense will be atrocious and their forward group is massively overrated. They don't even have a 1C. Price will really have to carry them and even if he does, there is a good possibility that this team reaches 85 points and misses the playoffs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Plus they got Radulov, and Weber isn't a significant downgrade from Subban for now and could actually mesh better with the team. The Habs should definitely be a better team than last year and than the Leafs this year.

Vote of confidance:sarcasm:

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Oilers 2.0 Lots of talent up front but hopes and prayers on the back end. Starting Goalie is injured with no backup plan.

Hoping rookies blow the doors off and exceed expectations is how you stay a bottom feeder.

They are a #1 and a #3 D away from the playoffs.

Difference being a competent management team. An competent coach. Decent vets surrounding the young guns and 2 top 4 dmen already on the team with potentially (Zaitsev) being a third.

As a matter of fact, the edmonton statement is a lazy inaccurate statement to make since the only thing they have in common was a great cast of young forwards.

Leafs are looking like there making all the smart moves edmonton didn't off the ice.

Back on topic. I dont think so. They should be where buffalo was last year as there about a year or so ahead in there rebuild. A lot similarities between buffalo and toronto. More so then the stupid edmonton one.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Not too bothered about Toronto's 16-17 point totals. Even if they surprise and make the playoffs, they're probably not going deep. I'd rather they keep selling off older assets and get another lottery pick.

On Montreal with a healthy Carey Price, I think that they are a wild card team at best. I think their defense will be atrocious and their forward group is massively overrated. They don't even have a 1C. Price will really have to carry them and even if he does, there is a good possibility that this team reaches 85 points and misses the playoffs.

You do realize Montreal got 110 points with pretty much the same team just a year before this one? With Galchenyuk at center and adding Radulov, saying we're a wildcard team at best is laughable.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If Zeitsev is very good it could be a huge difference. He looks real good at the WC right now.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
You do realize Montreal got 110 points with pretty much the same team just a year before this one? With Galchenyuk at center and adding Radulov, saying we're a wildcard team at best is laughable.

Team's changed a bit.

Certain players got older. Certain players were replaced with less effective players.

The rest of the division also got a lot harder to play against. This isn't 2 years ago, when Florida wasn't a playoff team and Buffalo and Toronto were the worst in the league. Even the probable bottom feeders this year, Toronto and Boston, will not be easy wins for Montreal.

I guarantee that Montreal doesn't touch 100 points this season.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Team's changed a bit.

Certain players got older. Certain players were replaced with less effective players.

The rest of the division also got a lot harder to play against. This isn't 2 years ago, when Florida wasn't a playoff team and Buffalo and Toronto were the worst in the league. Even the probable bottom feeders this year, Toronto and Boston, will not be easy wins for Montreal.

I guarantee that Montreal doesn't touch 100 points this season.

Certain young players got more mature. Certain players were replaced with better players. Desharnais got replaced at #1C by Galchenyuk. Parenteau/Semin replaced with Radulov. Condon replaced by Price.

Some teams in the division got better, others got worse along with teams outside the division that Montreal also faces multiple times a year. 100 points will easily be in reach for the Habs this year, just like the 2 years before last.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Certain young players got more mature. Certain players were replaced with better players. Desharnais got replaced at #1C by Galchenyuk. Parenteau/Semin replaced with Radulov. Condon replaced by Price.

Some teams in the division got better, others got worse along with teams outside the division that Montreal also faces multiple times a year. 100 points will easily be in reach for the Habs this year, just like the 2 years before last.

If Galchenyuk is your 1C then you need to be worried. I don't think he's a 1C.

We'll see about Radulov. If Therrien didn't get along with Subban, I don't see him getting along with Radulov.

What are their defense pairs again? Markov-Weber and Beaulieu-Petry. That's not very impressive.

The Habs have 35-40 games with Atlantic division teams. The success against those teams determines how good they'll do. It's suddenly become a very competitive division.

Anyway, wildcard spot and short playoffs is my prediction.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
They still need more depth. Alot of what ifs and question marks, and I don't think all of those question marks will reach their potential just in this year.

I do think we won't finish last though. We still need another stud on D. It'll be great if we miss the playoffs, win 2nd overall in the draft lottery and are able to select Liljegren a RHD to play with Rielly.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Watching Matthews play at the WCOH, he seems to be even more impactful than even Leaf fans expected.

Add that to the addition of a true number one goalie in Andersen, as well as Nikita Zaitsev, who has been leading Team Russia in ice time...

Morgan Rielly has progressed well, and seems to have taken his game to the next level.

The Leafs will also have another skilled forward in William Nylander to the mix.

JVR and Kadri both had injury heavy seasons last season.

With all these factors, could the Leafs potentially surprise and sneak into the playoffs this season? ALA Calgary ?

Look for the Leafs to be getting another top 5 draft pick next summer.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
My prediction/expectation is somewhere between 18th and 23rd in the NHL.

I believe:
Andersen > Reimer
Enrother <= Bernier
Zaitsev <= Phaneuf
Carrick > Harrington/Corrado
Nylander >= Parenteau
Matthews >>> Matthias
Michalek >= Lupul
Brown/Soshnikov > Winnik
Martin > Spaling
Greening > Boyes
Hyman >= Arcobello

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Watching Matthews play at the WCOH, he seems to be even more impactful than even Leaf fans expected.

Add that to the addition of a true number one goalie in Andersen, as well as Nikita Zaitsev, who has been leading Team Russia in ice time...

Morgan Rielly has progressed well, and seems to have taken his game to the next level.

The Leafs will also have another skilled forward in William Nylander to the mix.

JVR and Kadri both had injury heavy seasons last season.

With all these factors, could the Leafs potentially surprise and sneak into the playoffs this season? ALA Calgary ?

The competition is so close anyone can surprise so I wouldn't be surprised if the leafs do well.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Define "surprise".

Exactly. It depends on what you expected, and though one player doesn't make a team part of the potential surprise will rest on what people expected before seeing Matthews in the WCOH, particularly what they expected of Matthews by himself. I expected him to be an impactful player off the bat, though he has looked perhaps a little better than I expected (it's hard to gauge that, really). If you expected them to finish dead last, sure. They absolutely could, and likely will, surprise you in a good way. But...

Put 100$ on them now. They are winning the cup!!!!

... if this is a serious post then the poster is almost surely in for a surprise of a different nature.

I would go out on a limb and say that a lot of people will be surprised. A team like Toronto, with a ton of young guns with loads of potential as well as having a great coach and also playing in what was a relatively weak division last year (who knows how it'll turn out this year?) is hard to predict. Things could all go their way and they could win the division (probably not), or things could fall apart and they could be towards the bottom (probably not). I think they may be fighting for a wild card spot, though I don't think they make it this year.

I'm hedging because I don't like surprises :laugh:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
can't wait for the thread in May where the same leafs fans saying there is no chance they finish in the bottom 5 hyping up that leafs finished in the bottom 5 and that they will be adding another blue-chip prospect to the roster.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
can't wait for the thread in May where the same leafs fans saying there is no chance they finish in the bottom 5 hyping up that leafs finished in the bottom 5 and that they will be adding another blue-chip prospect to the roster.

I fully expect, and praying, for the Leafs to be in a position to draft Liljegren. Obviously I would love for them to make the playoffs, but I rather a bottom 5 finish than a bubble team. Just putting this out there for the record when someone inevitably bumps this thread.

Mar 14, 2015
If they are free from injurys on key players and the rookies playing well they can probably do some damage, not making the playoffs but still make a good season.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I know he's only one player, but damn Matthews looks really good. Having a #1C like that can stabilize an entire team. I think they'll finish 12th-10th in their conference but they could sneak in, I wouldn't put it past Babcock.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs are playing with straight house money again next year.

If they do well, good.

If they finish poorly, good.

The only way the season would be a failure is to have an Oilers type of last place finish. The one where you are a terrible possession team, a terrible scoring chances for/against team etc.

With Babcock though, I don't really see that happening.

Leafs are going to be one of the faster NHL teams with a lot of skill to back that up, it should be exciting to watch, despite what the standings might say.

And I already know, all of HF will be following them closely, as always lol.

It's next season when the expectations will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad