Could the Leafs Surprise In 2016-17?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Watching Matthews play at the WCOH, he seems to be even more impactful than even Leaf fans expected.

Add that to the addition of a true number one goalie in Andersen, as well as Nikita Zaitsev, who has been leading Team Russia in ice time...

Morgan Rielly has progressed well, and seems to have taken his game to the next level.

The Leafs will also have another skilled forward in William Nylander to the mix.

JVR and Kadri both had injury heavy seasons last season.

With all these factors, could the Leafs potentially surprise and sneak into the playoffs this season? ALA Calgary ?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
What teams in the Atlantic do you see them being ahead of?

Florida and Tampa are the clear top 2. Do you think they can beat out the 5 other teams?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
If Marner is able to produce big numbers out of the gate, I don't think anyone would be able to stop them.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
They could.. Why not? They have talented forward and if they play as a group of 5 defensively and Andersen does his job.

Is it likely to happen? No. But to answer the subject.. the answer is obviously Yes.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Honestly, it's hockey, anything can happen. Most likely a bubble team but they should have a slight chance at playoffs

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Honestly, it's hockey, anything can happen. Most likely a bubble team but they should have a slight chance at playoffs

What if they start strong like the leafs usually do but this time.. they don't fall off like they usually do..

Leafs have very talented player and now they have the prospect pool to advance in the right direction. This team could surprise sooner than we think. They have a great coach.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What teams in the Atlantic do you see them being ahead of?

Florida and Tampa are the clear top 2. Do you think they can beat out the 5 other teams?

I don't think that they'll make it necessarily, but i think it's very possible that the'yre good enough to close the gap on the rest of the Atlantic + Detroit and turn the Atlantic into a dogfight decided by OT records and tie breaks.

If they're better than expected those points come at the cost of others, and that makes for an awfully tight division.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
They'll be a fun team to watch for sure.

Tons of speed and skill.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As in "not be last in the league"?

Sure, I guess they could surprise.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
On topic : let's say they finish 11th in the East. It wouldn't be a surprise (to me anyways).

Them making the playoffs would be a mild surprise.

Toggel

Feb 26, 2015
Oilers 2.0 Lots of talent up front but hopes and prayers on the back end. Starting Goalie is injured with no backup plan.

Hoping rookies blow the doors off and exceed expectations is how you stay a bottom feeder.

They are a #1 and a #3 D away from the playoffs.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Didn't we have this exact thread last year where someone claimed they had an elite 1st line in JVR-Kadri-PaP?

Their defense is not near good enough, and their offense is too inexperienced.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Looks like Matthews is even greater than most thought. He's been looking like a world beater. But I don't think he's at the level where he can will an entire team several spots higher in the rankings. Yet.

I'd say that give the Leafs one more season for Auston Matthews to mature and the team to find their identity. But after next season, Matthews might already be one of the top-5 players in the league. He seems that good.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Define surprise, because I have had them above Ottawa and Detroit for months now, and although I am not predicting them to do it, I think they COULD finish above Buffalo because I don't like Buffalo's goaltending,

I know that Lehner had good numbers but to me, 21 games just isn't enough and considering this is a guy that has never played above 36 games in a season I just don't think he's the guy.

I think people will be surprised by how good the Leafs do, I think people expect this to be last place team Me?

I see this team pushing 85 points

Stuckinthe2ndround*

And if Matthews gets hurt, then what? Good teams aren't one injury away from being a basement team. How many times has Pittsburgh made the playoffs without Crosby and/or Malkin for extended periods of time throughout the season? Chicago, TB, Washington, etc...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Oilers 2.0 Lots of talent up front but hopes and prayers on the back end. Starting Goalie is injured with no backup plan.

Hoping rookies blow the doors off and exceed expectations is how you stay a bottom feeder.

They are a #1 and a #3 D away from the playoffs.

Starting goalie will be fine by opening night

and I don't know if you missed it but they signed Enroth

Their goaltending, at least at the NHL level is the least of their worries

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And if Matthews gets hurt, then what? Good teams aren't one injury away from being a basement team. How many times has Pittsburgh made the playoffs without Crosby and/or Malkin for extended periods of time throughout the season? Chicago, TB, Washington, etc...

If Mathews gets hurt then we deal with it

I can say the same thing to you

What if Ovechkin gets hurt? What if Backstrom gets hurt? or Carlson, or Alzner or Holtby

We can play this game with every team

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
If Mathews gets hurt then we deal with it

I can say the same thing to you

What if Ovechkin gets hurt? What if Backstrom gets hurt? or Carlson, or Alzner or Holtby

We can play this game with every team

To be fair, Matthews is a big deal for your team. Caps are established top-team and even without Backstrom they are a playoff team.

Leafs are a rebuilding team and count on Matthews being the best player on the team (which he will be sooner rather than later). So your improvement will have a lot to do with Matthews. Caps making the playoffs is not entirely dependent on Backstrom.

There's nothing wrong in realizing that teams are in different stages. Caps are competing for the Cup for few more years and then they will start a rebuild. Leafs are just making their first strides as a rebuilt team. They are on almost completely different ends of the spectrum. And there's nothing wrong with that either way.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Their analytics last year were that of a playoff team. They lacked finish and goaltending.

Andersen/Enroth should improve their goaltending and Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Zaitsev should improve their finish as would a healthy JVR.

They have to, and could, be comfortably in a playoff spot by Thanksgiving. If they are they could hang on and make it. If they get off to a poor start it will probably be too difficult to overcome this year between rookie walls, improved scouting reports, and the mental grind of chasing the season.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
As much as i want to say yes, the reality is (IMO) no.

Simply based on the fact that the majority of the top offensive players on team NA, who are also top offensive players on their NHL teams are from non playoff teams.

Matthews is in a similar situation to the majority of the top players on this roster. They are the future of their teams, but arent yet ready to be consistent leaders. The exception being Gaudreau as he was able to lead Calgary two seasons ago. Saad has 2 cups but the weight of the team was on the shoulders of Kane, Toews and company. He was complimentary unlike his new top line role in CBJ.

Scheifele
McDavid
Mackinnon
Saad
Eichel
Gaudreau
Ryan Nugent Hopkins

The leafs are too inexperienced to be able to compete for a playoff spot. They will be extremely fun to watch, but they wont be close come the end of the year.

I predict that we will see a flip in the NHL where these young guns will turn into leaders. The current generation is just not ready to let this happen yet.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Matthews is just as good as I thought and the Leafs will still not be a playoff team. Defense is still weak. They could use another high pick there anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad