Could the Leafs Surprise In 2016-17?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
You do realize Montreal got 110 points with pretty much the same team just a year before this one? With Galchenyuk at center and adding Radulov, saying we're a wildcard team at best is laughable.

Montreal is clearly a wildcard and you cannot see that because you're Montreal fanatic. They could make the cup finals or they could be picking top five next year. that is what a wildcard team is.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Montreal is clearly a wildcard and you cannot see that because you're Montreal fanatic. They could make the cup finals or they could be picking top five next year. that is what a wildcard team is.

There's 0 chance they pick top 5 this year.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
can't wait for the thread in May where the same leafs fans saying there is no chance they finish in the bottom 5 hyping up that leafs finished in the bottom 5 and that they will be adding another blue-chip prospect to the roster.

Hmm Like the Panthers a few years ago??

Don't mock a team who was in your position of mediocrity before. Of course that can happen, but if it does I expect it was due to some sort of unforeseen injury that took out a few key players for important stretches of hockey.

I would say no way are they a bottom 5 team, although I hope if they don't make the playoffs the lottery allows them to draft there.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Hmm Like the Panthers a few years ago??

Don't mock a team who was in your position of mediocrity before. Of course that can happen, but if it does I expect it was due to some sort of unforeseen injury that took out a few key players for important stretches of hockey.

I would say no way are they a bottom 5 team, although I hope if they don't make the playoffs the lottery allows them to draft there.

Panthers fans weren't showing up in mass on the general board saying how they would surprise in 2014. Most of us expected another bottom 5 finish after drafting Barkov. The expectations didn't start to rise until they drafted Ekblad and were getting a full year of luongo. But nice deflection

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
What if they start strong like the leafs usually do but this time.. they don't fall off like they usually do..

Leafs have very talented player and now they have the prospect pool to advance in the right direction. This team could surprise sooner than we think. They have a great coach.

To be honest, I'm not expecting much for this year from the leafs, but they could very well surprise.

The following year, they'll be a force for sure

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I see the Leafs finishing 20th-22nd in the league, which is only a surprise in the fact it won't be the dead last or bottom three that many have them pegged for.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't know why folks say the Leaf defence is so poor. It wasn't the worse part of the team last year. Goaltending and goal scoring was the weakest parts.

People talk the Leafs have so many rookies. The only real rookie is Matthews.
Zaitsev KHL all star age 24. Carrick...starting 4th year pro.
Soshnikov KHL/AHL/NHL player age 23, Hyman NCAA one year NHL/AHL age 24, Nylander...starting 4th year pro, Brown third year pro.

So it's not like the guys are baby faced kids. (Marner would be one if he makes the team),

Sabres improved by 27 points last year with basically one new addition Eichel. No reason the Leafs can't improve in the standings.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Don't know why folks say the Leaf defence is so poor. It wasn't the worse part of the team last year. Goaltending and goal scoring was the weakest parts.

People talk the Leafs have so many rookies. The only real rookie is Matthews.
Zaitsev KHL all star age 24. Carrick...starting 4th year pro.
Soshnikov KHL/AHL/NHL player age 23, Hyman NCAA one year NHL/AHL age 24, Nylander...starting 4th year pro, Brown third year pro.

So it's not like the guys are baby faced kids. (Marner would be one if he makes the team),

Sabres improved by 27 points last year with basically one new addition Eichel. No reason the Leafs can't improve in the standings.

Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart and Kane.

Toronto is adding Matthews, Nylander, Zaitsev, Andersen and Martin.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

with the new playoff format, that has 3 divisional teams make it and 2 wildcard teams. When you call a team a wildcard team, that's what it sound like you're saying, a team that will not finish top 3 in it's division but instead get a wildcard spot. Which is what it appears the other person meant.

just FYI

I could see them as a wildcard team as well. IMO Tampa and Florida are the class of the division, with probably Montreal 3rd, but I could see them as a wildcard too.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It might not be sexy on paper, but their scoring chances for/against as a team was very good.

Team defence and system are very important here.

True.

But seriously, that defense needs work. Lots of work.

Optimism is good, and it's certainly a welcome change after drafting Matthews...but we've most likely got a ways to go yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad