Rumor: Could the Islanders be in on Laine?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think Isles may be holding cap space for potentially going after a big UFA center or top pairing D next summer. They also need money to resign Barzal & Pulock. A trade definitely is going to happen next season to make room for this. Go google & find out who may be available and think about this. Now Isles will have a new permanent rink ready in 2 years with a very good coach & a well known GM, I think signing an UFA will be easier next summer. They will have to make some roster moves or none of this will happen. Of course if you can land an UFA without give up too much future asset like Rag did, then that will be the best way to go.

By the way even Laine did not get Jets into the Stanley cup final so not sure just landing him will get Isles there, considering all the other top talents Jets already had on that team. He will help Isles make the playoff but will not be good enough to bring the SC home. Also he will eat up a lot of cap space and limit Isles negotiating room with both Barzal & Pulock & will cost Isles their cost controlled D depth.

Also please note that in most cases, elite centers, D and a hot G peaking at the right time is the recipe for SC. Wingers can help but they are rarely the key. Chicago and 2018 Caps may be the only exceptions. There is just too much responsibility lies with the C. For the wingers unless they can pop in goals like popcorn on PP, they are not enough to get you the SC by themselves. Also a strong bottom 2 line gritty performance can be the difference between two top contending teams with equally deadly top 6.

Are you eluding to someone in particular?
Because next season’s FA class is not nearly as good- lots of RHD available. Josi, but he’ll re up in Nashville and I don’t want to see the Isles sign Nik Backstrom at 33.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I think Isles may be holding cap space for potentially going after a big UFA center or top pairing D next summer. They also need money to resign Barzal & Pulock. A trade definitely is going to happen next season to make room for this. Go google & find out who may be available and think about this. Now Isles will have a new permanent rink ready in 2 years with a very good coach & a well known GM, I think signing an UFA will be easier next summer. They will have to make some roster moves or none of this will happen. Of course if you can land an UFA without give up too much future asset like Rag did, then that will be the best way to go.

By the way even Laine did not get Jets into the Stanley cup final so not sure just landing him will get Isles there, considering all the other top talents Jets already had on that team. He will help Isles make the playoff but will not be good enough to bring the SC home. Also he will eat up a lot of cap space and limit Isles negotiating room with both Barzal & Pulock & will cost Isles their cost controlled D depth.

Also please note that in most cases, elite centers, D and a hot G peaking at the right time is the recipe for SC. Wingers can help but they are rarely the key. Chicago and 2018 Caps may be the only exceptions. There is just too much responsibility lies with the C. For the wingers unless they can pop in goals like popcorn on PP, they are not enough to get you the SC by themselves. Also a strong bottom 2 line gritty performance can be the difference between two top contending teams with equally deadly top 6.

Ahhhh. so next year is finally the year we sign a big FA? No chance.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

crasherino

May 9, 2013
What happened when you googled FA NHL 2020? When I did it, a whole bunch of crap popped up. Unless you think the Islanders will sign Taylor Hall. Chris Kreider may be the #2 guy out there. Hardly the FA class to make your mark. Panarin was their one shot at landing a marquee FA. He wanted to be in the NY area and the Islanders took their shot. Good on them for making the effort but at the end of the day, a guy like him (and his model girlfriend) is going to choose the Rags 10x out of 10. It was just a matter of whether the Rags would be in the game.

As you pointed out, any cap space the Islanders have will be devoted to Barzal, Pulock and Toews. That could cost them about $20m. Not much money to sign Taylor Hall, the only major guy worth adding.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

Did you become an Islander fan this month?

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Yeah, I'm pretty sure no one is looking to give up 4 first rounders AND Barzal/Pulock. I've seen some strawmen in my time, but this one might take the cake.

That's what it's going to cost. Signing Laine to an offer sheet is going to cost four 1st rounders. There's no getting around that. If we don't overpay him Winnipeg will just match. Due to many bad contracts (Ladd, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, etc) we have tons of overpaid bottom 6 players-even if they're good.

We currently have $4.6milion in space...how would you clear that space for Laine this year?

More importantly next off-season we're projected to have $16million in space. How could you fit Laine, Barzal, Pulock, and Toews under that amount?

Moves are created in a bubble-they affect other future moves as well, it's all about managing your assets. It was easily Snow's biggest flaw as a GM.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That's what it's going to cost. Signing Laine to an offer sheet is going to cost four 1st rounders. There's no getting around that. If we don't overpay him Winnipeg will just match. Due to many bad contracts (Ladd, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, etc) we have tons of overpaid bottom 6 players-even if they're good.

We currently have $4.6milion in space...how would you clear that space for Laine this year?

More importantly next off-season we're projected to have $16million in space. How could you fit Laine, Barzal, Pulock, and Toews under that amount?

Moves are created in a bubble-they affect other future moves as well, it's all about managing your assets. It was easily Snow's biggest flaw as a GM.
It will be tight, but they can do it....

1. The Islanders can trade for him for less than 4 1st rounders. We'll see what happens as time progresses but WPG is over a barrel.
2. We definitely have some dead weight but we can move some stuff around and be creative.
3. We probably need about $18 - $20m to sign Barzal/Pulock/Toews to deals next year - presuming they aren't bridge deals.
4.. Any acquisition of Laine would be premised on moving Leddy's contract. That's $5.5m off the books. At this point, unless its going back to WPG, he'll be moved for futures. Probably a 1st rounder.
5. Clutterbuck and Komarov probably have some value to another team next year with only 2 years remaining on their deals. Not much, but some. Figure we can move Komarov for a 4th rounder. That's another $3m in space.
6. Hickey can easily be moved for a pick if need be. That's another $2.5m
7. If we were to assume that Laine is going to make $10m/yr (that may be a little high), we are only a couple mil from making it happen. Figure the cap goes up $2 - 3m and we are pretty much there.

Fitting him in isn't that easy, but they can make it happen. After 202o-2021, it gets a little easier. Boychuk is in his final year as is Clutter (Komarov too if he's still around). Ladd will be addressed somehow - whether its through the expansion draft, retirement or LTIR - and will hopefully not be the anchor he is now. We'll have guys on ELCs taking spots in the lineup and the cap number will be up at least $5m from now.

202o is the one big cap crunch year that we'll have to deal with.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
It will be tight, but they can do it....

1. The Islanders can trade for him for less than 4 1st rounders. We'll see what happens as time progresses but WPG is over a barrel.
2. We definitely have some dead weight but we can move some stuff around and be creative.
3. We probably need about $18 - $20m to sign Barzal/Pulock/Toews to deals next year - presuming they aren't bridge deals.
4.. Any acquisition of Laine would be premised on moving Leddy's contract. That's $5.5m off the books. At this point, unless its going back to WPG, he'll be moved for futures. Probably a 1st rounder.
5. Clutterbuck and Komarov probably have some value to another team next year with only 2 years remaining on their deals. Not much, but some. Figure we can move Komarov for a 4th rounder. That's another $3m in space.
6. Hickey can easily be moved for a pick if need be. That's another $2.5m
7. If we were to assume that Laine is going to make $10m/yr (that may be a little high), we are only a couple mil from making it happen. Figure the cap goes up $2 - 3m and we are pretty much there.

Fitting him in isn't that easy, but they can make it happen. After 202o-2021, it gets a little easier. Boychuk is in his final year as is Clutter (Komarov too if he's still around). Ladd will be addressed somehow - whether its through the expansion draft, retirement or LTIR - and will hopefully not be the anchor he is now. We'll have guys on ELCs taking spots in the lineup and the cap number will be up at least $5m from now.

202o is the one big cap crunch year that we'll have to deal with.

1) Winnipeg can simply hold onto him, they don't need to move Laine and seemingly wont unless it's a severe overpayment (or they most likely would have by now).
2) I get your point but he tons of dead weight and saying "eh we'll get rid of it later" is a recipe for disaster
3) You're assuming that all 3 players don't ask for bridges...that's not the current direction of the NHL. Look at how many RFAs are holding out for bridges.
4) Leddy's value isn't a 1st.
5) Again you're banking on a team taking our crappy contracts...if they're crappy contracts for us, they will be for other teams as well. This isn't NHL 20
6) Let's say we move Hickey and replace him with a making $1.5million (that's cheap btw). that's only saving $1million, not $2.5million
7) If Laine's offer sheet comes to less than $10million, Winnipeg is going to match.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
1) Winnipeg can simply hold onto him, they don't need to move Laine and seemingly wont unless it's a severe overpayment (or they most likely would have by now).
2) I get your point but he tons of dead weight and saying "eh we'll get rid of it later" is a recipe for disaster
3) You're assuming that all 3 players don't ask for bridges...that's not the current direction of the NHL. Look at how many RFAs are holding out for bridges.
4) Leddy's value isn't a 1st.
5) Again you're banking on a team taking our crappy contracts...if they're crappy contracts for us, they will be for other teams as well. This isn't NHL 20
6) Let's say we move Hickey and replace him with a making $1.5million (that's cheap btw). that's only saving $1million, not $2.5million
7) If Laine's offer sheet comes to less than $10million, Winnipeg is going to match.

1) This is probably 90% the case. More than likely he stays in WPG and this whole exercise is moot. We're engaging in what ifs here.

2) Agreed.

3) If they ask for bridges, they'll get less AAV. And that actually helps us as our cap situation gets easier as the years go by. But Pulock and Toews already had bridges - I think they go for a long term deal if its available. Barzal? Who knows? That story is far from written.

4) I think you're wrong about that but we can agree to disagree.

5) If Komarov and/or Clutterbuck have decent years, there will be teams who will be interested in them - for a modest amount that is. We have too many of those guys, but the shorter their deal is for, the more palatable it is to take them. Komarov and Clutter with 2 years remaining or far more attractive than currently.

6) If we move Hickey, we are replacing him with Aho - on his ELC. That's $700K.

7) We aren't talking about an OS - we're talking about a straight up trade. And if we would OS him, it would be for $10.5m or less. That's 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd. That's manageable, especially as we'll recoup something (we can debate what) for Leddy. If WPG matches, sie la vie. But I don't think we would pay him $10m anyway. And I'm not so sure that WPG matches at that point. That's a lot of money. At $10.5m, I'd rather OS Marner for 5 years and see what happens.

I don't think anyone thinks its LIKELY to happen, but being that WPG is capped strapped, have to sign Connor and Laine is somewhat disgruntled, its at least a possibility. It would be tough, but if the Islanders were inclined, they could make it happen.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Lou is making those same mistakes. We are not in a bind solely because of Ladd, Boychuk, Cizikas, Clutter and Leddy. And at least three of those four players the majority of Isles fans wanted anyways.
NY has never had cap issues under Garth Snow.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Bracco, Nylander 1st rounder + a small add ?

Pretty hight end prospect , 60 point + winger and a first rounder ? .... just the thought of Laine and Matthews on the same line makes my Johansson stand tall

Last edited:

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
It would be more like:

Laine

For

Dobson + Otto + 1st

Dobson=2 firsts
Otto=1 first
Add another first and you're trading them 4 first round equivalents with the extra bonus of some development already starting with Dobson and Otto.

If you're trading that many assets you'd be better off giving him an offer sheet that Winnipeg won't match.

Btw I also wouldn't do it for the sole reason that Dobson is untouchable in my book. He's not there yet but he's got a very high ceiling, is cost controlled and doesn't count against the expansion draft protection list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad