Speculation: Could the Golden Bears beat some AHL teams?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They could compete, but playing older professionals, they would struggle on the long haul.

The Bears do as well as they do against the Oilers rookies, because they are a team and older then the rookies (for the most part), this wouldn't be in the case in the AHL.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not saying they would go in and dominate, but one game vs, say, the Iowa Wild or Bridgeport?

7 game series no question it's the AHL team.

The Joker*

A superstar from CIS is a 2nd or 3rd liner in the AHL. You do the math.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
I'll say they'd struggle pretty bad. Our prospect team, even with the big 3, would be a good but still have issues. The AHL is no joke.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They beat two high ranked NCAA teams last year pounding both of them. Neither game was close. 6-1, and 3-0 scores.

Of course they could beat some AHL teams. Would they make the playoffs? Unlikely but they would win some regular season games.

Have to say as well not one thought was given yesterday in viewing the Bears game about how difficult it would be for these players to play in front of 15K. There would be nerves with that and a stage far bigger than most of these players have been on. Most of the Oilers prospects have seen this kind of crowd before or close to it. It would be a completely different experience for most CIS players and also being the "Road team" in your home town.

The Bears are a solid home and road team. When location isn't so emotionally confusing.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'd think they'd have to have the game of their lives to win.

I guess I'd say. If it's an exhibition game they have a small chance.

If it were a real competitive game that meant something.
They'd be in over their heads.

Every advantage they hold over the Oiler rookies would turn into a disadvantage.
And they're only about .500 against them.

They'd lose the age advantage so physical maturity and experience.
They'd lose the playing/training as a team advantage.

I guess I just think of UofA players as bubble AHL players.

Once in a blue moon someone blossoms but I don't recall that for a long time.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'd think they'd have to have the game of their lives to win.

I guess I'd say. If it's an exhibition game they have a small chance.

If it were a real competitive game that meant something.
They'd be in over their heads.

Every advantage they hold over the Oiler rookies would turn into a disadvantage.
And they're only about .500 against them.

They'd lose the age advantage so physical maturity and experience.
They'd lose the playing/training as a team advantage.

I guess I just think of UofA players as bubble AHL players.

Once in a blue moon someone blossoms but I don't recall that for a long time.

That's pretty much it, which is why I say they would be fine in the ECHL. since the ECHL is full of bubble AHL players.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
They beat two high ranked NCAA teams last year pounding both of them. Neither game was close. 6-1, and 3-0 scores.

Of course they could beat some AHL teams. Would they make the playoffs? Unlikely but they would win some regular season games.

Have to say as well not one thought was given yesterday in viewing the Bears game about how difficult it would be for these players to play in front of 15K. There would be nerves with that and a stage far bigger than most of these players have been on. Most of the Oilers prospects have seen this kind of crowd before or close to it. It would be a completely different experience for most CIS players and also being the "Road team" in your home town.

The Bears are a solid home and road team. When location isn't so emotionally confusing.

Aren't most of them former Major Junior players?

I would assume most have played in front of some pretty hefty crowds.

I'd also call them home team 2 in that game. The crowd was obviously louder for the Oilers but the bears got their share of cheers and support. More than any visitor has ever gotten that's for sure.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Found this tidbit online.

Some actual games between AHL and CIS clubs;

The CIS (Canadian university hockey) had the University of New Brunswick play the AHL's Portland Pirates a year or two ago. Portland won 4-2 and was outshot by UNB. Kevin Dineen, Portland's coach, was interviewed and said what a great challenge UNB presented his team with. Likewise, CIS school University of British Columbia played the AHL's Abbortsford Heat closely, losing a tight 3-2 game. These were late preseason games where the AHL teams used most of their full rosters with some ECHL tryouts. As I'm sure you are aware, CIS hockey is, on average, a lower level than NCAA D.I (although UNB would be a top 10 NCAA D.I team, whereas UBC would not).

So close games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
^^^ Interesting, thanks Replacement.

Portland was an AHL playoff team last year and Abbotsford was the year before.

Stauffer has some articles I'm trying to find on Golden bears overall that get quoted. I believe there are overall 26-54 vs NCAA teams or something like that although needs to be considered that pretty much every match has been a road game. NCAA teams don't come here often or at all it seems.

heres a board that has exhaustive information in some of its threads like this one. you really have to dig though as these posters really post a lot through 1000's of posts. I find it fascinating.

http://www.internationalhockey.net/...vs-CIS-games-(-amp-other-odd-matchups)/page10

Heres summaries on the two most recent games U of A have played against NCAA opponents;

October 24, 2014:

ALBERTA (CIS) 3, YALE (NCAA D.I) 0
Alberta is a perennial top CIS team and is presently ranked #2 in the CIS. Alberta is, year in and year out, undoubtedly playing at the level of an elite or near-elite NCAA D.I team. Yale, in stark contrast, has this season lost several important players from its championship roster of two years ago, and is down to #29 in the NCAA D.I rankings. Most importantly, Yale had not even played a single game of any kind yet this season coming into this contest. They had only been skating as a team for a week entering this game, and had only two practices. Yale did not dress its top 3 or 4 defensemen, and had several forwards playing back on defense to fill in as opposed to other defensemen. It also used its #1, 2 and 3 goalies in the game evenly. Finally, Alberta used its top goalie throughout the game and had played 15 games already as well as having had a large number of practices, and the difference showed. Alberta dominated play, outshooting Yale 41-21, including a 16-4 tally in the first period.

October 25, 2014:

ALBERTA (CIS) 6, DARTMOUTH (NCAA D.I) 1
This result is more along the lines of what I expected. Dartmouth is currently ranked #37 in NCAA D.I......a low-average/mediocre NCAA D.I team at the moment. In addition, like Yale, this was their first game of any kind this season, and they also had only been skating together for a week as a team, with only a couple of practices coming into this contest. Alberta outshot Dartmouth 35-13, including 26-5 through the first two periods. Score by period was 2-1, 2-0, 2-0. Alberta used its backup goalie for the game, while Dartmouth split the game between its top two goalies.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Itd be close. The Bears are made up of top CHL players who werent good enough for NHL but didnt want to toil in AHL and instead got an education. For reference, there was some Bears last camp that looked as good as Yakimov or several AHL players last year

A low end one, yes. Not 10/10 times tho.

The Bears are an exception tho, they are tears above the rest of the CIS and a level above the next best team. I talked to some Bears and they said the Bears is by far the best option when choosing which team to go to

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Itd be close. The Bears are made up of top CHL players who werent good enough for NHL but didnt want to toil in AHL and instead got an education. For reference, there was some Bears last camp that looked as good as Yakimov or several AHL players last year

A low end one, yes. Not 10/10 times tho.

The Bears are an exception tho, they are tears above the rest of the CIS and a level above the next best team. I talked to some Bears and they said the Bears is by far the best option when choosing which team to go to

Its U of A, then UNB, then everybody else in CIS. The people that spend their lives studying this say that either U of A, or UNB program would have no difficulty competing against top rank NCAA teams in league play and that they would do even better if there was some more equivalent scholarship/bursary/pay for collegiate players here.

Just to mention to the thread that even NAIT has repeatedly beaten NCAA teams. NAIT usually gets clobbered by the Bears although strangely the Ooks beat the CIS champs last season. Bad game for the Bears. Not taking anything away from NAIT which has good clubs. I would like to see NAIT in CIS actually.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Its U of A, then UNB, then everybody else in CIS. The people that spend their lives studying this say that either U of A, or UNB program would have no difficulty competing against top rank NCAA teams in league play and that they would do even better if there was some more equivalent scholarship/bursary/pay for collegiate players here.

Just to mention to the thread that even NAIT has repeatedly beaten NCAA teams. NAIT usually gets clobbered by the Bears although strangely the Ooks beat the CIS champs last season. Bad game for the Bears. Not taking anything away from NAIT which has good clubs. I would like to see NAIT in CIS actually.

If you look at the players that make up top NCAA teams its typically AJHL/BCHL or canadian junior A guys who left at 18 being tops on their teams. The CIS is typically top CHL overagers who were even better junior A players

CIS players are typically about a year or 2 older and more skilled.

NCAA gets alot of hype because they produce good NHL prospects, which is true. But the non NHL prospects in NCAA arent as good as players on Bears or UNB

Too bad CIS doesnt get more hype. Id love to see a top prospect choose to play in CIS. Itd be sweet if a player like Nurse/Marner etc whos too good for CHL but not eligible for AHL join the Bears (im sure theres eligibity rules, but they should make an exception)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If you look at the players that make up top NCAA teams its typically AJHL/BCHL or canadian junior A guys who left at 18 being tops on their teams. The CIS is typically top CHL overagers who were even better junior A players

CIS players are typically about a year or 2 older and more skilled.

NCAA gets alot of hype because they produce good NHL prospects, which is true. But the non NHL prospects in NCAA arent as good as players on Bears or UNB

Too bad CIS doesnt get more hype. Id love to see a top prospect choose to play in CIS. Itd be sweet if a player like Nurse/Marner etc whos too good for CHL but not eligible for AHL join the Bears (im sure theres eligibity rules, but they should make an exception)

CIS is kind of nice in that if you've discovered it its a brand of entertainment that is enjoyable and not over run. Easy to get tickets to and follow. Not overwhelming to compete in, comfortable. Kind of the right mix of appreciation and maintaining personal space and anonymity which top NCAA players don't get.

That said I'm not a big fan of NCAA hype. I get what you're saying but I think its kind of sad sometimes how overblown NCAA, particularly football is. These are just kids that get elevated to sainthood and I think they often have a lot of problems dealing with it. I'd rather have kids go the CIS than the NCAA route. CIS players have a better mix and can, and have to focus more on actual academics. I like that. jmo

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Aren't most of them former Major Junior players?

I would assume most have played in front of some pretty hefty crowds.

I'd also call them home team 2 in that game. The crowd was obviously louder for the Oilers but the bears got their share of cheers and support. More than any visitor has ever gotten that's for sure.

Not many WHL players ever see 15K crowds.

it was nice to see the support for both clubs. I was divided myself. I simply cheered for both teams and both teams goals. Just appreciated the good hockey played.

The firs bears goal was a beauty strip but I think it was off another bear..;)

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
They would probably be the worst team in the league but they would for sure win some games.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
They would probably be the worst team in the league but they would for sure win some games.

Exactly this.

Think about how many of these Golden Bears players will even make it to the AHL after their University career is over. Not a lot.

Let's take Sean Ringrose as an example. Golden Bears leading scorer in 2013-14, couldn't even make the AHL the following year. He played in the EIHL (Britain) and Austria. Second-tier European leagues, and he didn't even do particularly well.

You can go down the list of standouts at the U of A who toiled in the ECHL or worse. Chad Klassen, Derek Ryan, Eric Hunter, Ian McDonald, etc. etc. And the goaltending is definitely not AHL calibre.

They'd probably win 15-20 out of 76 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad