Could the CHL Adapt the Challenge Penalty

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Like most fans of the sport of junior hockey you come across interesting articles from different sources of things that could be yet to appear in the OHL.

In a recent article by sportsnet stumbled across my Twitter feed I read an interesting piece that the NHL is adding a new rule to the 2017/18 season. This rule is something that has potential debate for years the ruling of the challenge review. The NHL has announced the new ruling for the 2017/18 season that implementes that a failed video review will have consequences for that club in a way of a minor penalty which means soon the Canadian Hockey League and more impart the OHL will have to adopt this rule as one of their own.

As a fan I can see two sides of this what will probably be seen in the Canadian Hockey League's rule book really soon and changing the outcomes of games for teams who decide to use the challenge play in a game.

To the teams that can untilize it correctly they will have a big advantage over the teams that can't but it will also be much debated on how and when the officials can correctly use video challenges as infractions.

Can any other junior hockey fans see the big ???'s in this highly interesting and head scratching rule that will soon be apon us for the future nearing

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
With the inconsistencies in video quality and camera location from building to building in the OHL, what you may see if that rule was brought in is a lot less challenges. When you have to depend on questionable camera angles and video quality, it may be too big a gamble to risk going on the penalty kill unless the play is a slamdunk to be overturned.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
With the inconsistencies in video quality and camera location from building to building in the OHL, what you may see if that rule was brought in is a lot less challenges. When you have to depend on questionable camera angles and video quality, it may be too big a gamble to risk going on the penalty kill unless the play is a slamdunk to be overturned.

your right, no rink has the same set up with camera quality. they would have to throw a ton of money at standardization into rinks that really dont need it. its junior hockey, i understand that missed calls can be frustrating, but kinda comes with the league.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
your right, no rink has the same set up with camera quality. they would have to throw a ton of money at standardization into rinks that really dont need it. its junior hockey, i understand that missed calls can be frustrating, but kinda comes with the league.

Just another way to slow down the game...DON'T DO IT!!!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Agree with most of the posters above, the OHL simply doesn't have the necessary video quality right now for this to be possible. The NHL even has had some struggles with this replay review system.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Agreed they have a hard time perfecting goal reviews at the moment but as we the fans all know that there will always be influence from the NHL in the lower levels in some way shape or form at some point

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Agree with the majority here. There is too much inconsistency in video equipment from arena to arena and it will slow down a game that moves pretty quickly now. We just need to live with the fact this is a developmental league for everyone -- including the officials.

geo105

May 3, 2014
If it wwee put into place farwell in Kitchener would be on his soapbox constantly. He'd be putting down all decisions against the Rangers as being a conspiracy.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If it wwee put into place farwell in Kitchener would be on his soapbox constantly. He'd be putting down all decisions against the Rangers as being a conspiracy.

i dont get this guy. he seems to like to make himself the story. i mean the stuff with the refs, going after the league about stuff, calling owen sounds coach a dick on twitter. don cameron never did that stuff

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
There's already a very similar rule that has the consequence of a penalty being imposed against the team requesting the challenge. That's the "stick measurement" challenge. If a stick is found to be illegal, a penalty is called against the offending team, and the stick is comfiscated. If the stick is found to be within the parameters for that piece of equipment, the team requesting the measurement is assessed a penalty ( I believe that it's for delay of game, but I could be wrong).

I haven't seen that one called in a while, but I do recall some that were ( usually in very close playoff games. ) The players & stickboys had to be extra cautious in the third period, and the questionable sticks were parked and only legal ones were used late in the game.

Another penalty that's become rarely called, of late, has been the lack of a jersey tie-down. Not many scraps these days, when one player or both, shed their jerseys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad