Could the 2013 draft be the draft we are talking about for years?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We love our first overall picks and we complain about drafting after first overall

our 2013 picks are

2013 Entry
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
2013 Entry 7 1 Darnell Nurse D Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHL] 2 0 0 0 0
2013 Entry 56 2 Marco Roy C Blainville-Boisbriand Armada [QMJHL]
2013 Entry 83 3 Bogdan Yakimov C Nizhnekamsk Jrs. (Russia) 1 0 0 0 0
2013 Entry 88 3 Anton Slepyshev L Ufa Salavat Yulayev [KHL]
2013 Entry 94 4 Jackson Houck R Vancouver Giants [WHL]
2013 Entry 96 4 Kyle Platzer C London Knights [OHL]
2013 Entry 113 4 Aidan Muir L Victory Honda Midget (MWEHL)
2013 Entry 128 5 Evan Campbell L Langley Rivermen [BCHL]
2013 Entry 158 6 Ben Betker D Everett Silvertips [WHL]
2013 Entry 188 7 Greg Chase C Calgary Hitmen [WHL]

I think we shat the bed with our 2nd round pick--but it is the guys who come next
Bogdan Yak is a big center who while he does not score a lot--reminds me of Joel Otto and his upside is a solid 3rd line center
Many on this site are talking about Houck, platzer and Greg Chase (I agree with all but chase) and how they could be solid nhlers if they are let to develop properly

then there is my boy Anton Slepyshev--if he was from say Moose Jaw he would have went in the first round in the first year he was elligible for the NHL draft--but everyone was scared to draft a Russian. I have seen this guy play about a dozen times in two years (I am pissed he got from the Russian WC team but I have been told he did not get cut for his play--but for other reasons--ie not signing back in the father land).

While he is not the most physical guy--he is a good all around player--reminds me of Petr Klima and Ales Hemsky--but shows more emotion then either one of them.

there are some sleepers in our picks

Ben Betker a 6-6 d-men that some people say in 5 years could be like Jeff BEukeboom on the blue line

Usually I take the ya whatever approach to our none first rounders--but looking at who we took in 2013 there is a chance if oilers do things right we could have up to 6 of those guys in the nhl in 5 year or so--if the team figures out how to develop players correctly

or am I dead wrong? (I know some of you jump for joy when I am wrong and hate it when I am right-Schremp, Omark and Klefbom-for all the right reasons for Klef) but looking back at the 2013 draft --we took some gambles and a lot of projects and while usually dark horse do not pay off--I am looking forward for the development of these players

Bangers

May 31, 2006
While it looks good so far, I remember how highly we regarded the 2010 draft:

1st OVR - Hall

Nothing needs to be said here.

2nd round 31st OVR - Pitlick

One year after the draft, he had moved to the Medicine Hat Tigers and was destroying the WHL in his +1 year and many were declaring he was a future top-6 winger. Fast forward to today and he has had multiple injuries and is a borderline 4th line NHLer (although he still appears to have some untapped potential).

2nd round 46th OVR - Marincin

A good pick then and still a good pick. Moved to the WHL in his post draft year and played well enough to get a cup of coffee with OKC at the end of the year and join the Slovak national men's team. Has played >80 NHL games and is at worst a bottom pairing NHL defender.

2nd round 48th OVR - Hamilton

Complete bust. Tore the WHL apart in his post-draft year and, similar to Pitlick, many on these boards had thought the Oilers had lucked out on a top 9 physical winger that could both put up points and bring a physical element. We were wrong.

3rd round 61st OVR - Martindale

Another complete bust. Had enough talent to put up 80+ points in his post draft year and score an entry level contract, but was ultimately traded to Florida and is nothing more than an AHLer. In 2011, he was considered a boom-bust pick on these boards, but most expected him to either make the NHL or wash out completely. There was really no middle ground with him.

4th round 91st OVR - Blain

Played well in his post-draft years in the Q and, based on his offensive numbers, was considered a 'sleeper' offensive defenceman. Not sure what went wrong here, but he was never even offered an ELC and spent last year in the ECHL.

5th round 121st OVR - Bunz

Before Laurent Brossoit, there was Tyler Bunz. He was brilliant with Medicine Hat in his 2 post draft years, was a WHL all-star and WHL goaltender of the year, but then proceeded to be horrible in the ECHL before suffering a serious injury. Made his debut for the Oilers and was shelled for 3 goals in 12 shots in relief duty. His contract is up this off-season and I'm guessing he doesn't get a contract.

6th round 162nd OVR - Davidson

Not a bad pick, considering he was a 6th rounder and had to overcome testicular cancer. Has played a handful of games with the Oilers and wasn't horrible, although he likely would never have gotten a shot on a team that had legitimate NHL defenders. At this point, he's an AHLer that could become a fringe NHLer. Not a bad pick at all, but he may not be re-signed this year.

6th round 166th OVR - Czerwonka

Longshot pick. Didn't make it.

7th round 181st OVR - Pelss

RIP. Tragic incident, as he was looking like a decent pick at that point and even scored himself an ELC.

7th round 202nd OVR - Kellen Jones

Longshot pick. Played ok in college after he was drafted and played in OKC last year. Unlikely to ever be an NHLer, but could have a long career in the AHL.

So, one year after the 2010 draft:
- Hall was considered a sure-fire star
- Pitlick, Marincin, Hamilton and Bunz were considered likely to become NHLers
- Martindale and Blain were Chase/Houck/Platzer-like in that they could either become NHLers or wash out of the league
- Davidson and Pelss were considered to be hard-working players that could end up eking out a career as fringe NHLers
- Jones and Czerwonka were considered long shots.

If Nurse, Yakimov and Slepyshev all make it, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Usually I take the ya whatever approach to our none first rounders--but looking at who we took in 2013 there is a chance if oilers do things right we could have up to 6 of those guys in the nhl in 5 year or so--if the team figures out how to develop players correctly

or am I dead wrong? (I know some of you jump for joy when I am wrong and hate it when I am right-Schremp, Omark and Klefbom-for all the right reasons for Klef) but looking back at the 2013 draft --we took some gambles and a lot of projects and while usually dark horse do not pay off--I am looking forward for the development of these players

6 players? That would be the greatest draft in Oilers history. There is a far, far greater chance that not a single one of these guys picked outside of the first round work out than even 3 or 4 of them do, let alone 6.

Big fat meh to this draft until we start seeing dividends of it. Yakimov is the only one who has spent significant time in the AHL, and while he was decent, he was not spectacular in any sense of the word. He's not even close to being a sure bet. The rest need to show something at the AHL level before I even consider them as potential NHLers. We've had far too many prospects look good in junior only to flop at the AHL level.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Too early to tell, as someone else mentioned the '10 draft was supposed to be a defining draft for us as well and so far it hasn't been minus Hall.

It'll be at least another year or two for us to have a clue as to what we have. Chase for example if he was all that he's cracked up to be by some should be playing in the playoffs for OKC.

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
5th round 121st OVR - Bunz

Before Laurent Brossoit, there was Tyler Bunz. He was brilliant with Medicine Hat in his 2 post draft years, was a WHL all-star and WHL goaltender of the year, but then proceeded to be horrible in the ECHL before suffering a serious injury. Made his debut for the Oilers and was shelled for 3 goals in 12 shots in relief duty. His contract is up this off-season and I'm guessing he doesn't get a contract.

I don't know about this. Bunz has shown some very good stretches, and I wonder if this isn't just our mediocre goalie development / coaching biting us again.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I don't see it. Bunch of very average prospects besides Nurse.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Man, aside from Draisaitl I cant recognize a single prospect we selected in 2014.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I like yakimov, slepyshev and chase. I think all will carve NHL careers. Then 1 of platzer, better, and maybe roy could make it in a depth role

I agree this could be a strong draft.

Draft Russian fallers!!!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
ya I remember 2010 was supposed to be the "defining" draft for us and other than Hall and Marincin...all underwhelming and complete busts

I'll hold off on "great draft" status for a couple years

although 2014 looks awful at the moment...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
ya I remember 2010 was supposed to be the "defining" draft for us and other than Hall and Marincin...all underwhelming and complete busts

I'll hold off on "great draft" status for a couple years

although 2014 looks awful at the moment...

Pitlick still could be good, unfair to him is all the injuries. Davidson still looks promising as a bottom pairing guy. Hamilton could be a tweener. Plus marincin whos a good one. Not all busts

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't know about this. Bunz has shown some very good stretches, and I wonder if this isn't just our mediocre goalie development / coaching biting us again.

Bunz has been nothing but god awful as a pro - at the same time Brossoit has gone from 'roughly equivalent to Olivier Roy' to ECHL superstar to elite AHL goalie under the same coaching and development.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
i don't think we need one draft year to be amazing to build the Oilers. I'd rather we develop one player into an NHLer chosen from the 2nd round or later each year or every second year in addition to our 1st rounder. When your team is developing their 1st rounders into NHL regulars or better, then filling in the blanks by developing those later picks can turn you into a powerhouse. It also tells you that you're doing a great job with draft picks if you can get 1-2 NHLers per draft.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
2nd round 31st OVR - Pitlick

One year after the draft, he had moved to the Medicine Hat Tigers and was destroying the WHL in his +1 year and many were declaring he was a future top-6 winger. Fast forward to today and he has had multiple injuries and is a borderline 4th line NHLer (although he still appears to have some untapped potential).

Pitlick was the right pick then. 1st round line skill, speed, size. If you saw him early in his AHL career - he would wow you. Was a big fan of his then soured on him after the injuries (while others hopped onto his bandwagon) but he's changed his game (less of a cannonball) so I think he will have a good career as a 3C/4C.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Pitlick still could be good, unfair to him is all the injuries. Davidson still looks promising as a bottom pairing guy. Hamilton could be a tweener. Plus marincin whos a good one. Not all busts

Pitlick's development has been hampered by injuries for sure but I see a 4th liner at best in him...not enough offensive instincts to play top 9 minutes and hasn't shown enough in the AHL to warrant playing higher in the line-up

underwhelming with the 31st Overall pick

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
mmmmm....i have long been a fan of how we drafted in 2013 ! Nurse, Yakimov, Slepyshev, Platzer, Betker and Chase could all be in our lineup the next few years! that's amazing value just from one draft and it's something i wish Stu and his staff could have done for us more often, and hence why i feel this could be their last draft.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I love this draft.

Also people shouldn't sleep on Evan Campbell. Seems to be forgotten.

6'2 centre, gritty two way game. Just shy of PPG on what was supposed to be a weak team. Extremely hard worker. Could be a gem.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
mmmmm....i have long been a fan of how we drafted in 2013 ! Nurse, Yakimov, Slepyshev, Platzer, Betker and Chase could all be in our lineup the next few years! that's amazing value just from one draft and it's something i wish Stu and his staff could have done for us more often, and hence why i feel this could be their last draft.

Honestly if the Oilers hit on this many players every draft they wouldn't have enough places for them to develop, or enough contracts to sign everyone. Obviously a good problem to have, but the reality of it is that most years you do not hit on this many players.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Judging from a tweet that Bunz put out a few weeks ago (I am not a tweeter and don't remember the thread it was in so I can't point you to it) where he thanked the Oilers organization, it sounds like the Oilers won't be extending him. It was very much a "parting ways" tweet.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Honestly if the Oilers hit on this many players every draft they wouldn't have enough places for them to develop, or enough contracts to sign everyone. Obviously a good problem to have, but the reality of it is that most years you do not hit on this many players.

and the 2014 draft was proof of that point ! other than Leon, that draft could be one of our worst ever!

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Judging from a tweet that Bunz put out a few weeks ago (I am not a tweeter and don't remember the thread it was in so I can't point you to it) where he thanked the Oilers organization, it sounds like the Oilers won't be extending him. It was very much a "parting ways" tweet.

^yup, i heard about it too. there will be a few others not re-upped as well and we'll likely start hearing about it after the cup is presented....to the Chicago Blackhawks. :naughty: :sarcasm:

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
and the 2014 draft was proof of that point ! other than Leon, that draft could be one of our worst ever!

Though not THE worst ever

From Hockeydb

1990 Entry
1990 Entry 17 1 Scott Allison W Prince Albert Raiders [WHL]
1990 Entry 38 2 Alexander Legault D Boston University [H-East]
1990 Entry 59 3 Joe Crowley L Lawrence Academy (Mass.)
1990 Entry 67 4 Joel Blain L Hull Olympiques [QMJHL]
1990 Entry 101 5 Greg Louder G Cushing Academy [Mass H.S.]
1990 Entry 122 6 Keijo Sailynoja F Jokerit Helsinki [SM-liiga]
1990 Entry 143 7 Mike Power G Western Michigan University [CCHA]
1990 Entry 164 8 Roman Mejzlik Dukla Jihlava [Czech]
1990 Entry 185 9 Richard Zemlicka F Sparta Praha [Czech]
1990 Entry 206 10 Petr Korinek C Plzen [Czech.]
1990 Entry 248 12 Sami Nuutinen D Kiekko-Espoo [FinD1]

Not a single pick ever saw NHL ice.

HM to 1995, 1994 and 1998- each with only one real quality NHL player(200+GP)

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Pitlick was the right pick then. 1st round line skill, speed, size. If you saw him early in his AHL career - he would wow you. Was a big fan of his then soured on him after the injuries (while others hopped onto his bandwagon) but he's changed his game (less of a cannonball) so I think he will have a good career as a 3C/4C.

It doesn't look like there was a heck of a lot left after him, so he may have been the right pick then. My question is, having not seen his first season in the AHL what about him would wow you? He's got decent speed (although probably lost a bit due to the injuries), a good shot (not sure about the quickness of the release though) and is good on the forecheck but his playmaking leaves quite a bit to be desired (to me).

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Though not THE worst ever

From Hockeydb

1990 Entry
1990 Entry 17 1 Scott Allison W Prince Albert Raiders [WHL]
1990 Entry 38 2 Alexander Legault D Boston University [H-East]
1990 Entry 59 3 Joe Crowley L Lawrence Academy (Mass.)
1990 Entry 67 4 Joel Blain L Hull Olympiques [QMJHL]
1990 Entry 101 5 Greg Louder G Cushing Academy [Mass H.S.]
1990 Entry 122 6 Keijo Sailynoja F Jokerit Helsinki [SM-liiga]
1990 Entry 143 7 Mike Power G Western Michigan University [CCHA]
1990 Entry 164 8 Roman Mejzlik Dukla Jihlava [Czech]
1990 Entry 185 9 Richard Zemlicka F Sparta Praha [Czech]
1990 Entry 206 10 Petr Korinek C Plzen [Czech.]
1990 Entry 248 12 Sami Nuutinen D Kiekko-Espoo [FinD1]

Not a single pick ever saw NHL ice.

HM to 1995, 1994 and 1998- each with only one real quality NHL player(200+GP)

^blech !!! :baghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad