Speculation: Could Tampa Bay be a fit for Jake Gardiner?

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
And I'm sure you'd get Gardiner for a 7th rounder right? But don't give me this whole thing about how Leafs fans want so much yet you want to give up little to get a lot. Not even saying Drouin in return for Gardiner but give me a break

The Leafs fan who said he'll take Drouin off our hands was a comment on Prohockeytalk.com comment section.

We know Gardiner won't go for a 7th rounder, and he won't go for a 1st rounder as well, but what do you think Dave Nonis can fetch for him, as Randy Carlisle doesn't like him.

My packages would consist of one of JT Brown/Brian Hart (future Power forward plays with Harvard) and a 3rd rounder. Tanner Richard and a 4th? What are your thoughts? If you would like info on Lightning prospect have a look here: boltprospects.com on the right hand side they have the rankings

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The Leafs fan who said he'll take Drouin off our hands was a comment on Prohockeytalk.com comment section.

We know Gardiner won't go for a 7th rounder, and he won't go for a 1st rounder as well, but what do you think Dave Nonis can fetch for him, as Randy Carlisle doesn't like him.

My packages would consist of one of JT Brown/Brian Hart (future Power forward plays with Harvard) and a 3rd rounder. Tanner Richard and a 4th? What are your thoughts? If you would like info on Lightning prospect have a look here: boltprospects.com on the right hand side they have the rankings

That's a ridiculous underpayment. Gardiner is worth a good prospect + a good pick at least. Tampa fans have been for the most part pretty reasonable regarding trades and so forth since I've been around, but you're making us look awful with that.

I'd easily offer Panik + conditional first for Gardiner, and maybe add in a second next year to boot.. He's a young, talented Dman who is an immediate upgrade to our blueline and something we could build around for years.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
That's a ridiculous underpayment. Gardiner is worth a good prospect + a good pick at least. Tampa fans have been for the most part pretty reasonable regarding trades and so forth since I've been around, but you're making us look awful with that.

I'd easily offer Panik + conditional first for Gardiner, and maybe add in a second next year to boot.. He's a young, talented Dman who is an immediate upgrade to our blueline and something we could build around for years.

Gardiner is not that good.

J.T Brown and a 2nd is the most I offer for him.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Gardiner is not that good.

J.T Brown and a 2nd is the most I offer for him.

Absurd, but that's fine. It wouldn't get him. I don't know what you guys expect from a 21 year old offensive Dman. Is he Karlsson? No, but he's good. We were very forgiving of Hedman's growing pains, seeing the talent beneath. You should probably take the same view of young players on other teams, as well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Absurd, but that's fine. It wouldn't get him. I don't know what you guys expect from a 21 year old offensive Dman. Is he Karlsson? No, but he's good. We were very forgiving of Hedman's growing pains, seeing the talent beneath. You should probably take the same view of young players on other teams, as well.

He's actually 23, doesn't seem like a big deal but is, he's had plenty of time to establish himself but hasn't. He put up good numbers his rookie year but that's because he got a lot of time on a bad D. Him and Panik have a similar PPG mark, and Panik is a year younger. He's an upgrade on Barberio but he doesn't supplant anyone from the top 4 right now.

I don't get why you think he's worth Panik + conditional 1st (you didn't mention the conditions) + 2nd to boot. For a package like that we need something much better then Gardiner, that's close to Yandle value IMO.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He's actually 23, doesn't seem like a big deal but is, he's had plenty of time to establish himself but hasn't. He put up good numbers his rookie year but that's because he got a lot of time on a bad D. Him and Panik have a similar PPG mark, and Panik is a year younger. He's an upgrade on Barberio but he doesn't supplant anyone from the top 4 right now.

I don't get why you think he's worth Panik + conditional 1st (you didn't mention the conditions) + 2nd to boot. For a package like that we need something much better then Gardiner, that's close to Yandle value IMO.
A) That's no where close to Yandle and b) you're comparing the PPG of a forward to a Dman. Unless that Dman is Bobby Orr, it's a pointless comparison.

If you don't think he's a fit and don't want to pay for it, that's fine, but you guys are WAY underestimating his likely value. A talented, young PMD will fetch a high price.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
A) That's no where close to Yandle and b) you're comparing the PPG of a forward to a Dman. Unless that Dman is Bobby Orr, it's a pointless comparison.

If you don't think he's a fit and don't want to pay for it, that's fine, but you guys are WAY underestimating his likely value. A talented, young PMD will fetch a high price.

You see something in him others dont? I think he is small he is not physical and that is not where we need to head whatsoever.

He is limited he is not a top 4 at all unless is a really bad top for. He is not upgrade to carle or gudas.

He hit 30 but dont see him as a 40 at all and he doesnt belong in top four.

Just cause a team had him there for one year for lack of options doesnt mean that was a great move.

You cannot add him and put him with hedman after salo is gone. I think you and everyone would be a lot madder than most are on carle's contract now.

I still disagree and think barberio winds up better he has to get his chance. Barbs is not top four either though.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

It's not too far off the value. Bobby Ryan who has similar if not more value then Yandle went for Silverberg >/= Panik, Ott 1st < TB 1st, Noesen > 2nd. Sounds pretty close to me, maybe there's is more valuable but so is Ryan.

Show me some examples of trades that you think would be close to what Gardiner can return. Just go look on the main board even Leafs fans don't expect a return like what you suggested.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think the Kaberle deal may be a good barometer.

I think your out of your mind.

Kaberle had like 12 great years. Gardiner has one so is no comparison.

I dont know where you get your value but a kid who has PROVEN nothing is not worth as much as a bigger tougher 12 year pro who has proven he can play full seasons year in and out and hit his numbers sometimes very high a couple of down years but mostly hitting 40 points on average I would bet.

SO NO he is not worth what Kaberle got and Kaberle's deal was flat out with the consideration of him resigning which he didnt and making it to the stanley cup etc.. was limitations in that deal.

I do not see Jake Gardiner as ever being as good as Kaberle lol.

Is MIND BOGGLING

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
RobertGuess he had to mean the second Kaberle trade when he went from Carolina to Montreal. Like I told him we don't have a stud like Spacek to swap so we're gonna have to overpay with Panik + 1st + 2nd.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
RobertGuess he had to mean the second Kaberle trade when he went from Carolina to Montreal. Like I told him we don't have a stud like Spacek to swap so we're gonna have to overpay with Panik + 1st + 2nd.

panik plus 1st and second is the first kaberle trade to boston.

He just aint worth that man. He has one 30 point year.

Kaberle had 12.

Kaberle came through got them the cup so they were able to keep either that late first or the second not sure how was set up but remember the deal etc..

Gardiner aint kaberle and if we start paying for trades like this I will go tell stevie to face he needs his friggin head examined

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You're not getting it I see. I know what the first Kaberle trade was and our package is even better then that one. I was talking about the second time Kaberle was traded it was for an old Jaroslav Spacek. He never specified which Kaberle trade he meant.

Unless we send Sustr down and move out a D or two I just don't see us trading for any D.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Gardiner is just not someone I am interested in the price Toronto will be asking for him. I'd rather keep our prospects.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
We have been buzzing out there tonight...I've liked a lot of things so far.

Bishop has looked good, and he picked up an assist tonight! The Palat goal was an absolute cannon!

A lot of us said Stammer was due, and boy has he listened. While it isn't exactly going out on a limb saying Steven Stamkos will score, it is nice to see his play tonight. Same with Marty...he's playing like the team leader out there tonight.

Should be a good 3rd!

Totally on topic.

Speaking of: I may have overvalued Gardiner a bit, but at the same time you guys are undervaluing him. He'll take more than Brown and a 2nd. I get NOT wanting to pay more, and I honestly don't think we're really in the market, but it would take more than that.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Totally on topic.

Speaking of: I may have overvalued Gardiner a bit, but at the same time you guys are undervaluing him. He'll take more than Brown and a 2nd. I get NOT wanting to pay more, and I honestly don't think we're really in the market, but it would take more than that.

Yeah...I started typing about Gardiner in the GDT. Fixed it with a ninja edit.

Not ninja enough, apparently.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Totally on topic.

So a 1st and Brown? You do know Jay Bouwmeester was traded for a late 1st and 2 lesser prospects. Do you think Gardiner is close to that value? I'm not trying to give you a hard time but you keep saying he's going for a lot but much better players haven't even gone for a lot.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Totally on topic.

Toronto has a history of trying to really get sick trades etc.. A fair trade would be a sub guy not a top prospect and a second so like JT Brown now they will try to get more especially fans cause they always want one sided deals.

The problem is he is totally unproven. I really think after some time we will be happy with Barbs and people like sustr are showing he can play and our overall d is playing pretty damn well seems getting better daily.

Will take time but I would like to wait a couple months and see where we are at.

If needed at trade deadline and gardiner is available and we need that quarterback than I would be more for losing a vital piece etc.. I just dont think he is all that much after one good year.

I would rather have a proven vet honestly. I think giving up prospects and high picks for unproven commodities is foolish to be blunt.

Too many variables he could decline quickly which weve all seen players like that and be out of NHL in a couple years.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Wrong, he had another year left on his contract. Plus rentals are usually overpayments so if he was a rental he should've went for more.

Well if nothing else it was a fire sale in Calgary.

Look, it doesn't matter anyway. Toronto is definitely asking for more than we want to pay.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
You guys aren't even close with these offers. JT Brown and a second?

It would take at least one of your good young forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad