Speculation: Could Tampa Bay be a fit for Jake Gardiner?

Ricebox

Feb 7, 2013
Norway - Florida
Well, lets put it this way

Malone makes 4.5m annually, i'm confident Gardiner could do a better job then him, and get paid 3.7m less a year.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
Depending on what the asking price is? Much of our youth is off limits.

I agree, but how about a package of 2nd rounder and one of Brian Hart (2nd rounder) or JT Brown. He's not worth a 1st rounder in my opinion, but 2nd rounder and a former 2nd rounder should be plenty for Dave Nonis to talk about it.

I know Connolly, Kucherov, Drouin, Keokkoek and Erne are off limits.

It was rumored that the Leafs would like a package for the future (draft picks and prospects)

Well, lets put it this way

Malone makes 4.5m annually, i'm confident Gardiner could do a better job then him, and get paid 3.7m less a year.

No way the Leafs take on that Contract. First of all they don't have the cap space for it. Second of all it, I don't think any team's would take on Malone even if they would keep some of his cap space.

Don't really see it happening.

I think it would be perfect fit. Why? because we need someone to QB the Powerplay, Barberio can do that, but is he ready yet? No. Gardiner is ready, is a very good skater. I think paired with a guy like Carle, Gardiner would thrive.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No chance Malone is involved in the deal unless we're taking back Liles, Toronto doesn't have cap room. I offered up Aulie + 2nd cause of how well he and Phaneuf played together, it wasn't flamed but not really accepted. If we are going for him I'd assume we move a D out cause we already have 8 even if we sent Sustr down we still would have 8 if one isn't added in the deal.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I personally would rather get a mark fayne. We have people coming up lh d offensive who will be better than gardiner. If could get both am happy too:) Would allow us to move some others :handclap:

Who do we have that are projected to be better then Gardiner? Koekkoek is a better all around player but he doesn't have the offense Gardiner does. It would allow us to move out Barberio as it doesn't seem like he's gonna work. I can see Gardiner working well with Hedman too. Fayne would be a good add but at what price? He's a UFA in the summer and with Salo most likely done after this season we can use that cash on Fayne.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I personally would rather get a mark fayne. We have people coming up lh d offensive who will be better than gardiner. If could get both am happy too:) Would allow us to move some others :handclap:
I'm not arguing that we should go after Gardiner but I'll have to ask: Who do you have in mind? And when will he/they play in the NHL? Gardiner (career NHL stats: 90 GP, 0.378 P/G, 21:19 TOI/G) is ready now.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Gardiner is easily an upgrade for Offensive D, but I doubt we're in the market. The price will be too high most likely. If it's a reasonable price (like say Panik + 2nd or something like that) I'd bite, but they will be looking for much more than that.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Gardiner is easily an upgrade for Offensive D, but I doubt we're in the market. The price will be too high most likely. If it's a reasonable price (like say Panik + 2nd or something like that) I'd bite, but they will be looking for much more than that.

You offered jt brown and second for fayne which think is fair.

I am not sure panik would be what toronto would ask for gardiner lol they would want connolly and a second they are kinda a crazy bunch to me.

I think Koekkoek is going to better than gardiner. Also if we move on gardiner we are saying barberio is useless. He hasnt really had a chance so I would rather just give him a shot and see what the kid can do honestly.

I would much rather have fayne and sustr as our two rh d guys of the future than add gardiner just my take. He is not physical he plays with speed he is not great in own end with physical guys to be honest same issues we would have with barberio.

Who says barberio cannot be as good as gardiner as a power play quarterback? He did pretty well in ahl?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If you guys don't like Barberio, you'd hate Jake Gardiner.

All the physical tools in the world but hasn't shown a scrap of hockey IQ from what I've seen, and from what the Toronto media reports. He would have been in the NHL long before now if it weren't for his decision-making. This is about the last type of player we need to be looking at right now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't hate Barberio but in his 3 games he has been really bad, I know young PMD make mistakes but he just makes too many and hasn't added the offense he should be. Gardiner has been more consistent and shown more than Barberio.

I wouldn't give up Panik and a 2nd for him that's just too much, his potential and Panik's are pretty similar he has shown it a little more and has more experience. I'd do Panik + Barberio/Aulie for Gardiner + McKegg, we could use a C for Syracuse. Maybe add a 5th.

I wouldn't do a 2nd + Brown for Fayne at least not now, at the deadline where the pick doesn't look so good maybe.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
You offered jt brown and second for fayne which think is fair.

I am not sure panik would be what toronto would ask for gardiner lol they would want connolly and a second they are kinda a crazy bunch to me.

I think Koekkoek is going to better than gardiner. Also if we move on gardiner we are saying barberio is useless. He hasnt really had a chance so I would rather just give him a shot and see what the kid can do honestly.

I would much rather have fayne and sustr as our two rh d guys of the future than add gardiner just my take. He is not physical he plays with speed he is not great in own end with physical guys to be honest same issues we would have with barberio.

Who says barberio cannot be as good as gardiner as a power play quarterback? He did pretty well in ahl?

Someone explain to me why everyone wants Mark Fayne? He can't make an NHL team! I would see Franson for maybe Connolly, but Gardiner for Connolly and a 2nd rounder is comical.

Panik and a 2nd rounder for Fayne? Dave Nonis would be laughing all the way to the bank, that's horrible. Why would we add another 7/8th Dmen.

My guess would be Trade Gardiner for Brian Hart/JT Brown and a 2nd rounder. We don't have to trade Mark Barberio, we can either trade Aulie or Salo. Im sure we can get something of value for one or the other.

Hedman - Guda
Carle - Gardiner
Brewer - Sustr
Barberio

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
If you guys don't like Barberio, you'd hate Jake Gardiner.

All the physical tools in the world but hasn't shown a scrap of hockey IQ from what I've seen, and from what the Toronto media reports. He would have been in the NHL long before now if it weren't for his decision-making. This is about the last type of player we need to be looking at right now.

Thats your problem, NOBODY should listen to the Toronto Media. The only reason this guy hasn't been in the NHL full-time, is because of Randy Carlisle. He doesn't play the type of game Carlisle wants in a Dmen.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
It would have to be a forward prospect of equal value.

No 2nd rounders + former 2nd round draft picks. The Leafs aren't in a position to trade for quantity.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Thats your problem, NOBODY should listen to the Toronto Media. The only reason this guy hasn't been in the NHL full-time, is because of Randy Carlisle. He doesn't play the type of game Carlisle wants in a Dmen.

What Carlyle does works though. And there's no doubt Gardiner has some defensive liabilities, regardless of coach. To me, he's always seemed like a prospect that got overblown because of the market he plays in, which seemed to think he was Bobby Orr come again for about a year and a half. And I think his lowered value has more to do with how he fits with a competitive team than it does with how he fits with Carlyle's system.

Also, Cooper's trying to implement a tougher style that maybe isn't identical to Carlyle's, but also isn't completely dissimilar either. I wouldn't mind Gardiner in Tampa if we had an absolute rock to pair him with. The jury's still out on our might-be rocks. And with the new attention to defense, I'm not sure how much better he fits here than in Toronto. Offensively, he's an improvement over Barberio, but I think he has the same issues in his game that are making it tough on Barberio here.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
It would have to be a forward prospect of equal value.

No 2nd rounders + former 2nd round draft picks. The Leafs aren't in a position to trade for quantity.

So for example Nikita Kucherov wouldn't be any good? Or Richard Panik? Not saying that Panik or Kucherov alone would get it done but they're quality prospects for sure. It's nice that a prospect is drafted in first round and all but a second rounder can be a lot better prospect than a first rounder. For example - not thinking the needs here - if I'm the Leafs, I'd trade Gardiner for Kucherov (+) much rather than Koekkoek/Namestnikov (+).

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Someone explain to me why everyone wants Mark Fayne? He can't make an NHL team! I would see Franson for maybe Connolly, but Gardiner for Connolly and a 2nd rounder is comical.

Panik and a 2nd rounder for Fayne? Dave Nonis would be laughing all the way to the bank, that's horrible. Why would we add another 7/8th Dmen.

My guess would be Trade Gardiner for Brian Hart/JT Brown and a 2nd rounder. We don't have to trade Mark Barberio, we can either trade Aulie or Salo. Im sure we can get something of value for one or the other.

Hedman - Guda
Carle - Gardiner
Brewer - Sustr
Barberio

Mark Fayne a good D, he's similar too Gudas and RH like Gudas. He would allow us to send Sustr to the A for top pair minutes. I don't know where you get he can't make an NHL team? He's been benched just like Panik and Sustr for us does that make them garbage?

Fayne also plays for NJ so I don't know why Nonis would be launching all the way to the bank.

Why would you want to trade Salo? Yes he's old but this isn't NHL 14 where you get rid of your old players before they retire. He's a great partner for Hedman and always one of our most consistent players.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Mark Fayne a good D, he's similar too Gudas and RH like Gudas. He would allow us to send Sustr to the A for top pair minutes. I don't know where you get he can't make an NHL team? He's been benched just like Panik and Sustr for us does that make them garbage?

Fayne also plays for NJ so I don't know why Nonis would be launching all the way to the bank.

Why would you want to trade Salo? Yes he's old but this isn't NHL 14 where you get rid of your old players before they retire. He's a great partner for Hedman and always one of our most consistent players.

I don't think there's any intention to send Sustr to the AHL. It would have been easy enough to do. He's just been too good to do it. He's scratched tonight because Aulie needs to see some action and someone had to sit.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB

Not sure why, I thought Fayne was claimed off waivers by toronto, but that was Fraser I think. Why I want to trade Salo? We should ease some of the rookies into the lineup. Mark Barberio needs to play, Andrej Sustr needs to play. Aulie needs to play. there's only so many Dmen who can play.

I seriously don't see Jake Gardiner being traded to Tampa Bay unless, they get rid of another Dmen. I would love to see him in a top 4 role in Tampa Bay. I think both teams would match up pretty good, in fact Tampa's prospects could easily fetch Gardiner, but for Tampa Bay to get Gardiner playing time they would have to move a veteran Dmen or Aulie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad