Speculation: Could Philly be a big time player for Carlsson?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Sorry if this has been discussed a lot already.
Philly should probably be looking to improve their team now. They've got an excellent forward core with Giroux, Voracek. and Couturier who are in their prime and two awesome young defensemen in Provorov and Gostisbehere. They've also got Konecny and Patrick on ELC's. They have $17 million in cap space an not a ton of players to re-sign. I think adding Carlsson to this team and also figuring out the goaltending situation would make them a team that could at least go late into round 2.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
They should be in on Tavares if anyone. Realistically though, they’ll probably stand pat for one more summer and draft two more players in the first round. Then let the rest of the young defense, their forward prospects, and Carter Hart develop for one more season before targeting whoever they want next offseason. They’ll have a ton of assets and cap space, with only 2-3 roster spots to fill.

Reactions: Devonator

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
This is better then trading Gostisbehere + 14th overall for Karlsson like it was suggested in another thread.

Prefer to go after Tavares but I do not say no to UFA right handed d-men.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Kinda like it similar to the Niskanen. Not only do you sign a key UFA, you steal him from a division rival.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
depends on how high you wanna go. sounds like caps offer is 8x8

If that's the offer, I don't know why Carlson hasn't signed yet. If he's not willing to sign for that, I think it just means he doesn't want to extend with the Capitals. That's basically fair value for him, that's what he'd get as a UFA based on the OEL contract.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
If that's the offer, I don't know why Carlson hasn't signed yet. If he's not willing to sign for that, I think it just means he doesn't want to extend with the Capitals. That's basically fair value for him, that's what he'd get as a UFA based on the OEL contract.

Its unrestricted free agency, and there isn't any defenceman in this class that comes close to him. He has the ability to cash in with many clubs being interested. Who doesn't want a d-man like him?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Yea im not sure it's been confirmed that is indeed the offer but its been circulating around lately. Im wondering if he is holding out to see if someone goes 9 mil. He just won the cup, has the caps supposed offer in his back pocket. Maybe a philly does a 9 mil a year

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Its unrestricted free agency, and there isn't any defenceman in this class that comes close to him. He has the ability to cash in with many clubs being interested. Who doesn't want a d-man like him?

The question isn't about who'd want him, it's a question of who's going to give him more than 8 years at $8 million.

Reactions: Devonator

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Buffalo should go all-in for Carlsson, he'd be very valuable for them to have this time around. Could potentially be a guy who'll get them into the playoffs.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
The question isn't about who'd want him, it's a question of who's going to give him more than 8 years at $8 million.

Buffalo having Dahlin-Carlson-Ristolainen just one example or Vancouver trying a quick fix... defense comes at a premium.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I doubt the Flyers make a big offer for Carlson with Provorov and Ghost already established, Sanheim ready for a big role next season, and Myers soon thereafter.

They will spend their cap space elsewhere.

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
Both will be too expensive. I wouldn't Hextall having another gigantic contract on the books where we start to complain about it like 2 years after it was done.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Buffalo having Dahlin-Carlson-Ristolainen just one example or Vancouver trying a quick fix... defense comes at a premium.

Buffalo is also trash though, so I don't know why Carlson would want to go there :laugh:

The team that makes sense is the team that has been mentioned a bunch already, Vegas. They can offer him a dump truck of money and they're a good team right now. I expect them to trade for Karlsson, though.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Buffalo is also trash though, so I don't know why Carlson would want to go there :laugh:

The team that makes sense is the team that has been mentioned a bunch already, Vegas. They can offer him a dump truck of money and they're a good team right now. I expect them to trade for Karlsson, though.

Vegas has had success and right now the Ottawa situation is ridiculously uncertain. Buffalo and Vancouver would be have the assets to ridiculously overpay Carlson. With taxes Vegas makes a bit more sense, but to say it's all up in the air, is an understatement.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think you'll have to throw crazy money at Carlson to beat the Caps offer by enough, and I think you're pretty likely to regret crazy money paid for Carlson.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
The reason Carlson hasn’t signed a deal yet with WSH I would presume is that the final cap number isn’t out. Yeah, they have an idea on what it will be but when you are that tight against the cap, a million dollar difference is crucial. The final number will give GMBM an idea on how much they can offer and/or how much they need to shed to make a deal work. If you read Carlson’s agents quote from March, both sides want a deal, but they hadn’t delved too much into negotiating because cap numbers weren’t clear yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad