Could one player have made a difference (Team USA and CAN)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
I don't think there's anyone on the US side that would have made a difference. Miller would have improved the goaltending, but the problem all tournament for the US was scoring goals and he wouldn't have helped there.

I think Scott Niedermayer was a big loss for Canada. His skating and accurate passes out of the zone (seemed like Canada had a big problem with this from my view and I've seen other Canada fans mention this as well) would have helped. But Canada had enough talent to win gold, they just didn't get the job done.

MrAlfie

SSJTOM said:
You spelled his name! Do you have any idea how offensive that is?

nono.... he is a wise man and didnt spell his name correctly.. therefore he shall live!

Sunny Leone*

Now thats just canada, as for the US they messed up a lot more than the canadians did. That starts first in Goal, all 3 of these goalies for the us were not even in the top 20 in GAA or save%. They messed up by not putting ryan miller in there. I know they said it was because of his injury, but at that time robert esche was coming off an injury too.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The US was certainly far more than one player away.

For Canada ... Neidermayer was the player they really could have used. Even without Neidermayer they had a team that certainly could have won. They played far below their capabilities.

As long as pros continue to go to the Olympics, Canada will always be among the 2-3 favorites, but they'll lose more often than they win the gold. Too many good teams in a single elimination format.

Spero

Mar 7, 2005
Zhackpot said:
Maybe Chuck Norris could've made a difference for the USA.

But seriously, for Team Canada I think 2 players would have been needed. Spezza would have been a huge factor up front playing with Heatley, his usual linemate.

In my opinion, Team Canada had plenty of pure scorers but not a lot of set up men at the top of their game.

On the blueline, Dion Phaneuf should have been playing in place of McCabe. He has plenty of international experience from World Juniors and has stepped right in at the NHL level. I'd bet my left nut he would've played better than McCabe.

:clap: I really think Hockey Canada made a big mistake playing favourites instead of playing the BEST young players like Spezza and Staal. They really did need a pure setup man for all those snipers.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
For USA... Ryan Miller.

Di Pietro wasn't bad or anything, but he let in a soft goal vs Finland at 2-2.

I dunno how the non-Buffalo fans feel about him, but the guy gives the impression he's in total control all the time, simply dominates most games.

Nothing against Rick, but Miller's on another level compared to the three goalies that were in Turin. At least so far this season.

Mr Brownstone

Aug 31, 2003
596 miles away
I don't think that one player would have made a complete difference, but Brian Leetch should have been there over Rafalski. Leetch would have improved the puck possession on the powerplay and he's more responsible in his own end than Rafalski.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
SSJTOM said:
You spelled his name! Do you have any idea how offensive that is?

Anyways while I disagree and think Jesus would have danced around the "Prophet" even if Jesus was inferior, the Isreali team had that little spark plug David, and Joseph made the absolute best hockey sticks ever back then, they never broke.

It's a team game so Isreal would beat Saudi Arabia, but if the Prophet catches fire, or Coach Judas defects then who knows? In one game eliminations anything can happen.

Pfft! Buddha > The Prophet and Jesus ;)

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Corto said:
For USA... Ryan Miller.

Di Pietro wasn't bad or anything, but he let in a soft goal vs Finland at 2-2.

You are talking about the roof shot where Jokinen put the puck in the ONLY spot that the puck would fit?

Yeah, real softie. Lets give Jokinen credit for making a great shot there instead of calling it a softie.

Goaltending was not the issue. The Americans just dont have any game breaking forwards. Not a single one.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Spero said:
:clap: I really think Hockey Canada made a big mistake playing favourites instead of playing the BEST young players like Spezza and Staal. They really did need a pure setup man for all those snipers.

As my brother said Canada's problem was the FOG-Friends Of Gretzky

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Pathfinder said:
Pfft! Buddha > The Prophet and Jesus ;)

With the exception of Keith Tkchuck the only position a tubby is good at is in Goal.

Believe me I'm tubby and played Goal(won MVP awards too!)

but anyways lets set-up the all-star team

Jesus-Muhhamad-Darth Vader
???-???-???
???-???-???
???-???-???

Chuck Norris-???
???-???
???-???

Buddah
???

Coach: Ditka
General Manager: Batman

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Higgy4 said:
You are talking about the roof shot where Jokinen put the puck in the ONLY spot that the puck would fit?

Yeah, real softie. Lets give Jokinen credit for making a great shot there instead of calling it a softie.

He didn't roof it.

It went under Rick's arm.

And yeah, it's a softie. I'd call it a softie if Miller let in a goal like that too.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
SSJTOM said:
With the exception of Keith Tkchuck the only position a tubby is good at is in Goal.

Believe me I'm tubby and played Goal(won MVP awards too!)

but anyways lets set-up the all-star team

Jesus-Muhhamad-Darth Vader
???-???-???
???-???-???
???-???-???

Chuck Norris-???
???-???
???-???

Buddah
???

General Manager: Batman

OK, so Buddha is at least > Brodeur then?

I can't See playing Jesus next to the Prophet, Just asking for trouble between those two divas. Split them (see line 2) Darth Vader could centre any line I could think of though.

1st Line: Jesus- Darth Vader-Odin (real power line)
???-???-???
???-???-???
???-???-???

Chuck Norris-Bruce Lee (definately similar style of play)
???-???
???-???

Buddah
Jabba the Hutt (no net left to hit with him in there)

General Manager: Batman, aside from the real cool outfit He's got the bucks to buy the stars

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Not only does Batman have the Bucks to sign players but he's also quite possibly the smartest man alive.

You give him 1 hour to plan and his plan comes off flawlessly.

anyways it's probably for the best, I can't picture the Son of God, embodiment of light, good, and love playing beside the apprentice of the dark lord of the sith.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
SSJTOM said:
2000 years ago the Isreali team would dominate with the superstar Jesus Christ playing.

Jesus...the first Hockey player, he didn't even wait for the water to freeze before stepping onto the ice.
Thats how he walked on water, he froze it!

Fraud!

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
I dont think any player for the US could have made a differece so it would have been a good idea to pick the young guys and sent them to Italy. They could have taken the experience and use it when we really have a chance like in 2010 or 2014. We werent predicted to do anything special so i'd rather have the young guns out there.

As for Canada they were definitly missing Nieds on defense and could have used some young legs on offense.

mncdn

Jul 29, 2005
MINNESOTA
I bet you if my brother Kyle (who is 12 years old) was playing he would of made a world of difference. He knows every team inside and out. He plays NHL 2006 on Xbox all day long and has Canada winning every time he plays. Man if Kyle couldn't play at least he should of been the coach. Maybe he could of showed Nash how to put'er home.

Ok SERIOUSLY. Like Gretzky said. Hands down if Super Mario or Stevie Y was there I guarantee a different outcome. Presence alone would of made a difference.

Kyle would of helped too.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
For Canada I don`t think a single player would suffice. There squad looked good on paper but played below their capabilities.
IMO the US looked OK, they played hard and goaltending sure wasn`t the problem. They just couldn`t score.

MrAlfie

Pathfinder said:
OK, so Buddha is at least > Brodeur then?

I can't See playing Jesus next to the Prophet, Just asking for trouble between those two divas. Split them (see line 2) Darth Vader could centre any line I could think of though.

???-???-???
???-???-???
???-???-???

???-???
???-???

Buddah

General Manager: Batman, aside from the real cool outfit He's got the bucks to buy the stars

bruce lee is a 2nd pair defence man at best.. hes so overrated... id pair jean claude van damme with chuck norris and dolph lundgren on the 2nd d-line with bruce lee

Phanuthier*

Yes, I think so.

That "player" would be a different head coach (IMO). Ideally, I've always been a huge Scotty Bowman fan, but if its not his thing, maybe a Jaques Lemaire. In betweens (Bryan Murray, Marc Crawford) or newer (Mike Babcock) would also be good choices.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Flash-Gretz(in his prime)-The Invisible Man-(speed, a guy you can't see hanging around the net, he'd never be offside, and the great one setting them up)
???-???-???
???-???-???

The Wonder Twins
???-???

Superman (if he can stop bullets pucks wouldn't be a problem)

General Manager: Batman, aside from the real cool outfit He's got the bucks to buy the stars[/QUOTE]

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I really laugh at the thought of the Americans needing so much help, but Canada was only 1 or 2 guys away. How many goals did Canada score in the last 3 games?? They looked like crap. All I read about was how they could have picked 2 teams with all the talent they had, well they should have went with team number 2.

The American squad played very good. They absolutely outplayed Russia, if Robert Esche could have stopped a beach ball, we would have won 4-1. They played solid against Finland, and again gave up some softies, but we were on par in that game too. This team wasnt as far off as some of you suggest. They lost by one goal in their losses, never getting beat the way they did in Nagano.

I am not saying they were gold medal material, but they definitely were medal material. This team still had talent which didnt show up. Tkachuk, Guerin and Modano I think missed their plane to make it to Torino. Very pleased with our younger guys Cole, Gionta, Liles, and Dipietro who played pretty dang solid.

I agree with the post of Leetch over Rafalski, that made zero sense picking Rafalski. The other changes I would have made would have been these few ones:

Dustin Brown- he would have been sensational out there. They wanted to bring youth aboard, well... This kids physical play would have helped so much him and Cole could have been wrecking balls out there. Should have had the experience for future events. Would have not picked Jason Blake.

Ryan Miller- no need to explain here. Dipietro did great, just would have felt better having an actual top 5 goalie in the league defending our net. Would not have picked John Grahame.

Keith Ballard- Why was he not picked? Hedican??? Come on.. This kid is a blue-chip stud who would have shinned with his physical play on a weaker blueline. Hatcher was the only real physical force out there. Chelios did great,but this kid would have made so much more sense. Would not have picked Brett Hedican.

Paul Mara- Great offensive skills, physical blueliner with speed and size..... Why was he not here? I love Leopold, I think Jordan will be a future star, but he is having a down year and I would have picked the guy actually having a great year.
Would not have picked either Leopold or Rafalski

J.R.- sad he wasnt here, he is having a down year, but would have loved his leadership and flare. Plus he wears the flag on his sleeve and heart would have given it all for this chance.

I am not saying these guys would have won us a medal, I am saying they would have been better choices for this Olympics plus for our future in international competition. Canada was no better then us and just as far away as we were, open up your eyes, this aint Canadas game no more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad