Could NFL in Toronto ever be a possibility?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Unless private money goes to build a stadium I can't image this would be a high priority. Toronto has major traffic issues thanks in part to a crappy public transportation system.

Two years ago the TTC was named the Best Transit System in North America. What makes it crappy to you?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You do know that anytime an NFL team plays in London, that they have a bye the following week, right? Because of travel and other things that go into playing in Europe, the teams are given a bye the following week. So, when the London based team flies over to North America and plays their 8 away games, are they going to be given 8 bye weeks?

Why wouldn't they just stay in North America for a few weeks and play a handful of road games in a row?

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Why wouldn't they just stay in North America for a few weeks and play a handful of road games in a row?

So, are you saying that there would be extra expenses for the London team? More hotel stays, more per Diem per player. What about the practice facilities and weight rooms? Where is this going to happen? I just don't see London or anyplace in Europe feasible right now. To many hurdles to over come.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Jays aren't getting anything from the government anytime soon, considering they are already in the city, and they hosed the government on the Skydome buyout. Plus, we already have there 81 games. It's not even for the number of events, its for the construction jobs in building it. I'm not saying its likely, but if at any time in recent Ontario history will get public funding for a stadium in Toronto the next few years is likely the time.

In 1994, the province sold Skydome (cost $570M) to a consortium that included Labatts (the owner of the Jays at that time) for $151M. That consortium filed for bankruptcy protection in November 1998. In April of the following year, Sportsco International bought the dome (including the attached hotel) out of bankruptcy protection for $80M. Later that year, Sportsco sold the hotel to Renaissance for $31M. In 2004, they sold Skydome to Rogers for $25M.

So, while Rogers picked up the stadium for a song (compared to its construction costs), they are three deals removed from the province's original sale of the building. Now, I guess you could say that Jays hosed the government on the original sale because their owner at the time (Labatts) was part of the consortium that bought it. Of course, I think the province was happy to get anything for the money-losing white elephant of a stadium.

So, while the province might be reluctant to fund a Jays stadium because of past losses involving Skydome, I think that it is disingenuous to claim that the Jays "hosed the government on the Skydome buyout."

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the economic recovery is the justification to be used towards pro sports, spending it on a new stadium for the Jays would make more sense. 81 events is better than 10 plus they already have an existing owner with a team in place with Rogers. Renovate BMO for the World Cup...at most it would be 3 games.... and they're set.

BMO Field is not suitable for the NFL. Toronto would instantly be one of the biggest markets in the NFL if it were granted a team and there's no way you could run that franchise with a minor league stadium like that.

It would to be a massive, state of the art Sofi Stadium type project.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In 1994, the province sold Skydome (cost $570M) to a consortium that included Labatts (the owner of the Jays at that time) for $151M. That consortium filed for bankruptcy protection in November 1998. In April of the following year, Sportsco International bought the dome (including the attached hotel) out of bankruptcy protection for $80M. Later that year, Sportsco sold the hotel to Renaissance for $31M. In 2004, they sold Skydome to Rogers for $25M.

So, while Rogers picked up the stadium for a song (compared to its construction costs), they are three deals removed from the province's original sale of the building. Now, I guess you could say that Jays hosed the government on the original sale because their owner at the time (Labatts) was part of the consortium that bought it. Of course, I think the province was happy to get anything for the money-losing white elephant of a stadium.

So, while the province might be reluctant to fund a Jays stadium because of past losses involving Skydome, I think that it is disingenuous to claim that the Jays "hosed the government on the Skydome buyout."
thanks for the info. I just remember the 25m and forgot the chain of events.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Two years ago the TTC was named the Best Transit System in North America. What makes it crappy to you?

Growth of public transit has not scaled to match city/GTA growth. Granted most of NA has a car first mentality so the problem is not unique there.

Reactions: LeafChief

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
don't you cheer for teams cause you like them? When your team is eliminated you stop having any cheering bias?
No I cheer for teams in which city I live in (or near). Doesnt everyone do that?

And no, when my team is eliminated the season is over for me.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Why?

Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays. Thats it. Do people really "pick" a team instead of cheering local? Weird stuff

I get only watching one team as a casual fan, I most only watch the Raptors and Jays.

But if you're a legit fan of the sport you'd just be missing out on so much... especially as a Leafs fan. How does a (likely) hardcore hockey fan like yourself (why else would you be on HF) keep up watching so little? Do you even watch the Finals?

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I get only watching one team as a casual fan, I most only watch the Raptors and Jays.

But if you're a legit fan of the sport you'd just be missing out on so much... especially as a Leafs fan. How does a (likely) hardcore hockey fan like yourself (why else would you be on HF) keep up watching so little? Do you even watch the Finals?
Not really. I made a post a while ago saying all the hate towards the leafs really turn me off every other NHL team. I do dabble in other sports however.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
W

What about Argo or tfc
I did watch most TFC games last year but I cant call myself a huge fan. Its hard to get into soccer because of how many leagues there are worldwide and all the different timezones.

I dont watch much CFL besides usually watching the Grey Cup

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
One thing is for sure: Canada should get an NFL team before England does. Besides, I thought the Bills were the unofficial team of Eastern Canada and the Seahawks were the unofficial team of Western Canada.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If there was money available, I would build Jays a proper outdoor stadium, around 40,000 seats, and do to Rogers Centre what Seattle is doing. Gut the entire place and put in a 65,000 seater modern stadium

Reactions: LeafChief

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
thanks for the info. I just remember the 25m and forgot the chain of events.

All I remember is that and Ted Rogers at a news conference with the Bill's owner chortling over having bought a $625-million stadium for $25-million.

It was quite unseemly and I think turned a lot of people off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad