Could NFL in Toronto ever be a possibility?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
10-15 years ago I thought it would be, but there was also that vacancy in Los Angeles too.

Now? Seems doubtful.

Reactions: Ciao

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This would likely mean someone in Toronto would have to pony up for a $4-5 billion stadium like the SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, right?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I will say, public construction projects that pump money into the economy do gain traction in economic recovery projects. I'd love an NFL team, but I still find it unlikely. The way the NFL national TV deal essentially pays all the players salaries, Toronto essentially would be a leach. Although, if Toronto had a ready arean with some funding, it would be very appealing to an owner in a struggling market. Although, the only really notable struggling market seems to have their eyes on London.

Reactions: Mightygoose

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'd find it very unlikely at this point.

With that said, a Toronto NFL team would be heavily supported here. The Bills experiment many years ago isn't a true test on whether or not it would work here. People don't want to cheer for another city's team, nor do they want to get price gouged to do it.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I will say, public construction projects that pump money into the economy do gain traction in economic recovery projects. I'd love an NFL team, but I still find it unlikely. The way the NFL national TV deal essentially pays all the players salaries, Toronto essentially would be a leach. Although, if Toronto had a ready arean with some funding, it would be very appealing to an owner in a struggling market. Although, the only really notable struggling market seems to have their eyes on London.

Where do you get this London crap? It's been discussed a million times, London is not feasible nor is any team in Europe.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Where do you get this London crap? It's been discussed a million times, London is not feasible nor is any team in Europe.
It is pretty clear that the Jags owner has his eyes on London in the case of any relocation, as unfeasible as it seems. But, he's testing out 2 out of 8 games there for the foreseeable future (or was prior to a global pandemic).

Reactions: Ciao

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Plus London being in a different time zone gives the NFL another TV package to sell.

Toronto doesn't offer this. Unless the city/province decides to build a stadium *which won't happen) to attract an existing owner to move their team, there's zero chance. Can't see the NFL expanding beyond 32 teams anytime soon either.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

how many games a year do they play in London? How many times to they play in Canada(regular season games)?

I live in London and there has been serious talk about an NFL club or two in London

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Can it work for sure it can Toronto is a huge market and NFL support would be there. Dollars would be the big thing. If Joseph Tsai the Canadian owner of the Brooklyn Nets is a NFL fan he'd be easily capable of financing a deal. He's of Alibaba Group and one of the richest in Canada.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Plus London being in a different time zone gives the NFL another TV package to sell.

Toronto doesn't offer this. Unless the city/province decides to build a stadium *which won't happen) to attract an existing owner to move their team, there's zero chance. Can't see the NFL expanding beyond 32 teams anytime soon either.
To be honest, if the government is ever going to pump money into construction programs it will be to help the economy bounce back from this and get people to work. Which a massive stadium project would do. I've always felt due to the strength of property value in Toronto, the Toronto construction industry, and the lack of interest in doing it after the Skydome the chance of it were almost non-existent. But, I don't know what the future holds now, and what they may be willing to pump money into when things start to normalize again.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
To be honest, if the government is ever going to pump money into construction programs it will be to help the economy bounce back from this and get people to work. Which a massive stadium project would do. I've always felt due to the strength of property value in Toronto, the Toronto construction industry, and the lack of interest in doing it after the Skydome the chance of it were almost non-existent. But, I don't know what the future holds now, and what they may be willing to pump money into when things start to normalize again.

Unless private money goes to build a stadium I can't image this would be a high priority. Toronto has major traffic issues thanks in part to a crappy public transportation system. That alone is a huge undertaking. Maybe more will work remote now but the issues will not go away especially as GTA is growing at a good pace.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Unless private money goes to build a stadium I can't image this would be a high priority. Toronto has major traffic issues thanks in part to a crappy public transportation system. That alone is a huge undertaking. Maybe more will work remote now but the issues will not go away especially as GTA is growing at a good pace.

Though I agree large infrastructure projects can help with short term work while a recovery happens, I can't see any appetite for something of this scale that will used around 10 times a year, while the SkyDome had 2 tenants. The Jays won't to play in a multi-purpose stadium again. An NFL stadium would be too big for TFC and definitely too big for the Argos.

Yes, major private money needs to be involved from the would be owners. I can't see anyone with local interests doing so unless the league decides to expand.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Though I agree large infrastructure projects can help with short term work while a recovery happens, I can't see any appetite for something of this scale that will used around 10 times a year, while the SkyDome had 2 tenants. The Jays won't to play in a multi-purpose stadium again. An NFL stadium would be too big for TFC and definitely too big for the Argos.

Yes, major private money needs to be involved from the would be owners. I can't see anyone with local interests doing so unless the league decides to expand.
It would be easier to get funding during a recovery phase and free land. Not saying city/state/feds eat the entire bill. Depending on size it could be used by TFC (they already sell out 30,000 on a regular basis), and no one cares about the Argos. They also have the 2028 World Cup Events.

If there was ever a time to get public funding for these types of things, it will be during this economic recovery period.

They messed up public transit years ago by not building the Yonge Relief line and the Eglinton line when Mel Lastman had sway with Mike Harris and they decided to scrap those two but kept the useless Shepard line. But, to be honest, almost all cities with the size and sprawl of Toronto have massive traffic issues in North America. Just look at Atlanta, Dallas, Philadelphia, Bay Area, or Houston.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If the economic recovery is the justification to be used towards pro sports, spending it on a new stadium for the Jays would make more sense. 81 events is better than 10 plus they already have an existing owner with a team in place with Rogers. Renovate BMO for the World Cup...at most it would be 3 games.... and they're set.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If the economic recovery is the justification to be used towards pro sports, spending it on a new stadium for the Jays would make more sense. 81 events is better than 10 plus they already have an existing owner with a team in place with Rogers. Renovate BMO for the World Cup...at most it would be 3 games.... and they're set.
Jays aren't getting anything from the government anytime soon, considering they are already in the city, and they hosed the government on the Skydome buyout. Plus, we already have there 81 games. It's not even for the number of events, its for the construction jobs in building it. I'm not saying its likely, but if at any time in recent Ontario history will get public funding for a stadium in Toronto the next few years is likely the time.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
how many games a year do they play in London? How many times to they play in Canada(regular season games)?

I live in London and there has been serious talk about an NFL club or two in London

You do know that anytime an NFL team plays in London, that they have a bye the following week, right? Because of travel and other things that go into playing in Europe, the teams are given a bye the following week. So, when the London based team flies over to North America and plays their 8 away games, are they going to be given 8 bye weeks?

And what does Canada have to do with London? I can totally see Toronto getting a team if the NFL expands.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You do know that anytime an NFL team plays in London, that they have a bye the following week, right? Because of travel and other things that go into playing in Europe, the teams are given a bye the following week. So, when the London based team flies over to North America and plays their 8 away games, are they going to be given 8 bye weeks?

And what does Canada have to do with London? I can totally see Toronto getting a team if the NFL expands.

Why would the NFL go beyond 32 teams? They aren't going do that would require expanding to 40 teams to keep divisions even and then add 2 more games to each team.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Why would the NFL go beyond 32 teams? They aren't going do that would require expanding to 40 teams to keep divisions even and then add 2 more games to each team.

I mean, NHL doesn't have even divisions.

If they ever did it, it would be for money.

I could see the attraction. Like the Jays, a Toronto team would be Canada's team. Maybe not for everyone, but it would be for a lot.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Yes, it would hurt the CFL and to a lesser extent the Bills but yes Toronto could consistantly sell out stadiums it’s a massive Sports city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad