Could Mitch Marner be successful as an NHL Centre?

Would Marner be a good C?

• Yes

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 54.4%

• Total voters

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I’m gonna say no just because I think one of the reasons Marner is so good defensively is he’s one of the best players in the league at pressuring the points. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Leaf player in my time cause blue line turnovers more than Marner. I want to continuing using him at his strength.

Unlike a lot of people here, I don’t think Tavares is washed. He’s definitely slower, but that doesn’t mean he’s useless. I think we just need to find wingers that play to his heavy cycle game play style. Nylander isn’t really that.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nylander is too soft to be a center, his play without the puck is horrid. That guy can barely play wing in his own end. Nylander has amazing hands, decent skater in a choppy sort of way, when he is engaged he's our 2nd best player, the problem is he's engaged about 30 games a year. Do we want a center that is not trying 50ish games a year?
Wouldn't he be forced to be more engaged as a center? Didn't he play their mostly in Sweden? I know he played some C with the Marlies and wasn't bashed for his game but that was before Matthews and JT so people may have been less critical out of hope for a better center than Bozak on the top line.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I don't think we need Marner to play C. Why take someone away from a job they're so good at? This would be a change for change's sake... Could he do it? Maybe. But I have no desire to find out.

Tavares as a winger? That I could see sometime soon. Nylancer at C? There's reasons to try. Marner at C? Nope.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wouldn't he be forced to be more engaged as a center? Didn't he play their mostly in Sweden? I know he played some C with the Marlies and wasn't bashed for his game but that was before Matthews and JT so people may have been less critical out of hope for a better center than Bozak on the top line.
Marner had a great season and continued his fine play in the playoffs. I'd say he's engaged plenty.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So is this on the 2nd. line moving Tavares to wing?

Obviously, it isn't to move Matthews to wing, why move your best forward out of his position?

So yes, I think you could see a:

Tavares-marner-RW

as a viable line.

Bunting-Matthews-Nylander
Tavares-marner-RW

Why not?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
marner makes way too many "cute" plays to play center. He is also weak on the boards; centers usually help out their d near the boards for puck battles.

dont think marner is cut out to be a center in the NHL

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

There is that too, some players when forced will play the role they are given. If I'm a forward and I know I'm playing vs "stop before I get hit" Willie, I'm driving that guy into the boards every shift for the first 20 minutes. Some people get little when challenged, some rise to the occasion. Not sure Willie has that angry dog that will fight back in him. The guy is immensely talented, the guy is just not immensely competitive.

So is this on the 2nd. line moving Tavares to wing?

Obviously, it isn't to move Matthews to wing, why move your best forward out of his position?

So yes, I think you could see a:

Tavares-marner-RW

as a viable line.

Bunting-Matthews-Nylander
Tavares-marner-RW

Why not?

Make JT the banger and crasher and net front presence, the guy has the body built for that role. 30+ million dollar line.... cap schmapp .... :)

Marner had a great season and continued his fine play in the playoffs. I'd say he's engaged plenty.

He was talking about Nylander.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
We will need a top 6 C sooner than later - I don't think Tavares can last much longer as 2nd line C. Everytime they put him on the wing, he looks much better situated, and his shot is a bigger threat coming down the sideboards.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think Marner can definitely play centre but he needs some grit on his wings. Give him a Jamie Benn or a Josh Anderson on the flank

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Nylander is too soft to be a center, his play without the puck is horrid. That guy can barely play wing in his own end. Nylander has amazing hands, decent skater in a choppy sort of way, when he is engaged he's our 2nd best player, the problem is he's engaged about 30 games a year. Do we want a center that is not trying 50ish games a year?
Max 28 games in playoffs. Falls within his threshold then for the new season post regular. Leafs will informally clinch a spot by Xmas. Does it really matter who goes balls deep for the second half? All a waste at the end of the day.

He's engaged in the playoffs that's all that matters, and we keep holding his usage back for stupid reasons

Yes you want an engaged Nylander at C in playoffs playing more than 16 minutes a game. Who really cares how many dumb regular season games he took off by then. They have zero impact on playoff results.

Friendly reminder Nylander was our second best forward when we informally clinched. When he fell off there was zero risk of missing playoffs. Your post even recognizes his impact (see the part of informally clinch) when he's on his game so what's the issue then ? All you need to worry about is those 50 (hyperbole number too) remain in the regular season

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Max 28 games in playoffs. Falls within his threshold then for the new season post regular. Leafs will informally clinch a spot by Xmas. Does it really matter who goes balls deep for the second half? All a waste at the end of the day.

He's engaged in the playoffs that's all that matters, and we keep holding his usage back for stupid reasons

Yes you want an engaged Nylander at C in playoffs playing more than 16 minutes a game. Who really cares how many dumb regular season games he took off by then. They have zero impact on playoff results.

Friendly reminder Nylander was our second best forward when we informally clinched. When he fell off there was zero risk of missing playoffs. Your post even recognizes his impact (see the part of informally clinch) when he's on his game so what's the issue then ? All you need to worry about is those 50 (hyperbole number too) remain in the regular season

The nights he takes off, it sets a tone for the rest of the team. When you are one of the better skill players, you are by default one of the leaders on the team. People look to you to set the tone. His soft play will create animosity between players. You see guys like Muz giving up their body every night then you see guys like Nylander "get away" with really weak soft low effort plays without repercussions, how do you think that plays in the locker room? If I was in that locker room I wouldn't trust Nylander to show up or to be one of the guys who is willing to give more than just skill. He is what he is, he's his father all over again, high end skill but selfish, has no concept of how to play a team game. For Willie if the game is easy he will dominate, if it is hard he gives up. That is not the DNA of a competitor... maybe he received too many participation ribbons growing up ...

Reactions: paulhiggins

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
My recollection from his D+1 was that there was a big drop off.
MVP/Franchise level, best player in the league at wing
Good two way 1st line C from the middle

At that point it seemed like the extra defensive responsibilities neutered his impact on the game a bit.

Obviously a 2 way 1C is nothing to shake a stick at, but assuming the same would hold true at the NHL level is that a tradeoff we win?

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Bunting Matthews ______
Tavares Marner Nylander

All 3 of them on the second line should be taking turns as center during the season in case they are needed in the playoffs.

It should be just like when you have a 1a and 1b goalie throughout the season. Pick the hottest/best and go with it.
This

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad