Could Mitch Marner be successful as an NHL Centre?

Would Marner be a good C?

• Yes

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 54.4%

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
100 % he could.
Whether to try it or not depends on the lineup.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
They tried it with the Knights when he was in the OHL. Marner's always been more effective as a winger.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
He could, I think the toll would be heavy (no pun intended) given the likelihood of certain match-ups.

Nylander on the other hand.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He could be successful at center, but he's probably better suited to wing, and we already have two high-end centers.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Bunting Matthews ______
Tavares Marner Nylander

All 3 of them on the second line should be taking turns as center during the season in case they are needed in the playoffs.

It should be just like when you have a 1a and 1b goalie throughout the season. Pick the hottest/best and go with it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I always thought he could do it. On the other hand, not sure why we'd want to change things now after he just had two great seasons, followed by his best playoff ever.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Although I think he'd make a fine enough centre, I assume Marner is better off left as a winger. I'd also say that the team's initial commitment to Tavares indicated that the plan was not to make a full-time centre of either Marner or Nylander anytime soon.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He'd struggle mightily on faceoffs, at least at the beginning, but I think he could make the transition
Small sample I'm sure but he was 55% last season.
He has elite hands, he'd figure it out.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
In that case you play Nylander center. I don't see why you ever break Marner and Matthews up.
Uh. Face offs are a big deal to you?

I thought about that part. Splitting the Ms and It is kind of interfering with magic.

Teams with 2 elite forwards always go through this back and forth.

Truth is we may need Marner with JT if we want him to be impactful. At least eventually. The stats suggest Auston would still chase a Rocket if stuck with Willy (lol stuck) and only saw Mitch on the PP.

I'm not married to any particular lines. Better informed people can sort that.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I always thought he could do it. On the other hand, not sure why we'd want to change things now after he just had two great seasons, followed by his best playoff ever.
I wrestled with this too.

I have bumped into Keefe 3 times at our local park just sitting watching his kids flag football practice all by himself.
Thought about some questions i wanted to ask and trying Mitch at centre is one.

Mitch is the Leafs best 2 way player IMO and JT can't handle the miles anymore. Keep JT in the faceoff dot and move Mitch to the middle.
Seems like a natural move to try. MM is a brilliant minded player so the transition should be doable.

If Point at his size can do it why not Mitch?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I wrestled with this too.

I have bumped into Keefe 3 times at our local park just sitting watching his kids flag football practice all by himself.
Thought about some questions i wanted to ask and trying Mitch at centre is one.

Mitch is the Leafs best 2 way player IMO and JT can't handle the miles anymore. Keep JT in the faceoff dot and move Mitch to the middle.
Seems like a natural move to try. MM is a brilliant minded player so the transition should be doable.

If Point at his size can do it why not Mitch?
Point was exactly who I thought of as well. Good skater than can erase mistakes with his feet. Great vision. Cerebral. Wins picks with his hands and feet.

With that being said, even TBay has moved Point to the wing to let bigger, stronger players play C. Maybe it's a real issue, the lack of size.

Reactions: The Iceman

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He'd expect to be paid even more as a centre, so NO THANKS !!! :D

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He does everything a great center can do, he is great without the puck, he has world class vision, not sure about his face off acumen. In every sense of the word he is what a center is expected to be. I share the sentiment that he has just had multiple great seasons on the wing , why mess up a good thing?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
In that case you play Nylander center. I don't see why you ever break Marner and Matthews up.

Nylander is too soft to be a center, his play without the puck is horrid. That guy can barely play wing in his own end. Nylander has amazing hands, decent skater in a choppy sort of way, when he is engaged he's our 2nd best player, the problem is he's engaged about 30 games a year. Do we want a center that is not trying 50ish games a year?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Canucks fan who says Marner definitely has the ability to play centre. He's probably one of the best play makers in NHL just not sure about his face off ability. However like Pettersson in Vancouver he could have someone on his line that takes the draws more often than not and then switch over. Marner's vision is great and not sure he's been working on his shot but he really went on a heater since January and was one of the best players in league.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I guess he "could" but I don't think it would be an easy transition. I can see it taking a long time to adapt his game to playing down the middle. At least as far back as Midgets his life has been as a winger and I don't think he can easily adjust his perspective just because he is a great playmaker. Also he has only taken a dozen NHL faceoffs and I think if he was any good at that he would have been given more chances. They used Hyman on the dot more than Mitch. Even if JT was gone Willie seems to be the better choice because he has done it a bit as a pro and looked okay, especially on faceoffs.

Mitch has enough talent to play any forward position but if succeed means to be as successful as he is at RW I wouldn't bet on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad