Could Kessel and Bozak be dogging for a reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I just tend to wonder if they have been approached about a possible trade and are just biding time while the details get ironed out. I guess that is only a pipe dream...but it sure seems like they are not trying too hard when it comes to getting into the new defensive system (watch the back checking on one of the goals by them against NJ last Night)

I know if I was Kessel and I had to deal with the critique of the Media in T.O. ...I would want to get out of here. Maybe they told him it might happen and he is just waiting for it be a reality. It seems like the "Star" players on the team have packed it in and the only guys hustling are the ones in their 1yr contracts.

I would think twice about signing anyone to a long term deal after one of these show me type contracts....look at Mason Raymond....he signed with Calgary and has been the usual Mr.October with early season goals and now he is getting scratched from what I have read.

Of the 3 upcoming UFA's the only one who I would sign back in the off season is Santorelli. He looks like someone who will be a good mentor to young guys to look up to. Franson is always looking to get paid and I doubt he keeps up his level of play after getting his big contract.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If you were a team that was acquiring a player, would you want a guy that has quit on his team when the season got tough or would you want a guy that fights through whatever he's up against?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
If you were a team that was acquiring a player, would you want a guy that has quit on his team when the season got tough or would you want a guy that fights through whatever he's up against?
The way Kessel and Bozak are playing I would say they don't want to get out of Toronto. If Bozak is traded now I doubt he gets another contract after this one expires. If he stays here he'll probably play to 35.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
The reason? Neither player actually cares about winning anything in their career and they finally got their big money contracts. They get paid either way, so why try?

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
theyve done it 4 years in a row now towards the end of the season.

theyre getting excited about golfing

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
The way Kessel and Bozak are playing I would say they don't want to get out of Toronto. If Bozak is traded now I doubt he gets another contract after this one expires. If he stays here he'll probably play to 35.

Lol really? Bozak will definitely be in the NHL for a very long time.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The reason? Neither player actually cares about winning anything in their career and they finally got their big money contracts. They get paid either way, so why try?

Drew Doughty got paid and won another cup. Same with Jonathan Quick. They all got big contracts and come back the next year to do it again.

With that analogy, why not just turn around the nets and let someone in the stands take the faceoffs?

To suggest that they aren't trying wouldn't be true. I'm sure it seems that way when everything is going wrong, but I think that these guys have more respect for themselves than to not show up.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Drew Doughty got paid and won another cup. Same with Jonathan Quick. They all got big contracts and come back the next year to do it again.

With that analogy, why not just turn around the nets and let someone in the stands take the faceoffs?

To suggest that they aren't trying wouldn't be true. I'm sure it seems that way when everything is going wrong, but I think that these guys have more respect for themselves than to not show up.

We're not talking about Doughty or Quick. Some players play the game to actually try to win. Kessel doesn't. He gets outskated on the backcheck by Cody Franson.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

what he's saying is that some players work there ***** off to get better, but once they sign a big long term deal there motivation drops as does there work ethic on and off the ice, thus they don't play as good. not saying they don't try when the game is on but when you don't put in the work off the ice you wont be as good on the ice.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
We're not talking about Doughty or Quick. Some players play the game to actually try to win. Kessel doesn't. He gets outskated on the backcheck by Cody Franson.

If you think about players just want the money, then wouldn't they want more money by at least making it to the 1st round of the playoffs. Even if they get knocked out of the 1st round, each player gets an additional 10k.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'm a Phil Kessel fan but I have to admit he looks very unmotivated. I would not be surprised if he wants to be traded. The Leafs just don't have enough talent. None of the young guys show much promise. You throw in a new defensive system that he probably hates and it's probably time to move him. Likely going to get robbed blind in the trade. Leafs going to Leaf.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
If you think about players just want the money, then wouldn't they want more money by at least making it to the 1st round of the playoffs. Even if they get knocked out of the 1st round, each player gets an additional 10k.

when your making 8 million a year is 10k really all that important?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
$10K is beer money to guys making what these guys do. Plus the extra wear and tear on their bodies.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

If your employer told you he would pay you 0.1% more money if you worked twice as hard, would you do it? For comparison, if you were making $15 per hour, that would be a 1 penny per hour raise.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
theyve done it 4 years in a row now towards the end of the season.

theyre getting excited about golfing

They are playing like its just 29 more pesky games to go through the motions before fishing season officially opens. :sarcasm::sarcasm:

They certainly are playing like they don't care based on effort and contribution.

Kessel has 3 goals in his last 22 games and Bozak even less. Kessel had 2-2-4 points & -10 and Bozak 1-2-3 points & -9 in 14 games in January.

Leaf top line including JVR has combined for 8 points during this 11 game losing streak and are a -27.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
They are playing like its just 29 more pesky games to go through the motions before fishing season officially opens.

They certainly are playing like they don't care based on effort and contribution.

Kessel has 3 goals in his last 22 games and Bozak even less. Kessel had 2-2-4 points & -10 and Bozak 1-2-3 points & -9 in 14 games in January.

Leaf top line including JVR has combined for 8 points during this 11 game losing streak and are a -27.

I thought plus/minus doesn't matter anymore :sarcasm:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
JVR is a coattail rider if there ever was one. Not sure why some Leaf fans want to keep him and get rid of Kessel because without Kessel he is total crap.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
JVR is a coattail rider if there ever was one. Not sure why some Leaf fans want to keep him and get rid of Kessel because without Kessel he is total crap.

He's like a big dumb kid, no physicality to his game whatsoever, and the sad thing is just think of the space he could create for himself if he played with a bit of an edge but he's another guy who doesn't think the game particularly well and needs a cattle prod to get him going.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Phil and Tyler are more interested in Xbox Achievements than NHL ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad