Speculation: Could Detroit start the year with three goalies?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
With Edvinsson's play, I don't think we see 3 goalies on the roster.

Cat-Larkin-Raymond
Ras-Copp-Perron
Fabbri-Compher-Sprong
Kostin-JV-Berggren
Fischer

Walman-Seider
Edvinsson-Holl
Chiarot-Ghost
Maatta-Petry

Husso
Lyon OR Reimer

Reactions: raymond23

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Just a thought, but Tampa needs a goaltender for 2 months. Lyon would seem to be a good fit, better than the backups they have now. Hutchinson could be signed for GR. Maybe a draft choice coming back?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
With Detroit holding 3 goalies in NHL (presumably) does this mean that Cossa is the starter in AHL with Hutchinson (if he stays) is the backup with Leth? Interesting turn of events for Cossa.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
With Detroit holding 3 goalies in NHL (presumably) does this mean that Cossa is the starter in AHL with Hutchinson (if he stays) is the backup with Leth? Interesting turn of events for Cossa.
The Wings are really hoping they can get Hutchinson to sign and be their #1 in GR (he's hoping to play in the NHL, and is otherwise considering Europe). Otherwise, there is a big hole there. It sounds like they are willing to give Cossa run as the backup in GR, but behind the scenes it's really a competition between him, Lethemon (who just got assigned to Toledo), and Bednar. None of the three are considered quality starter material for the Griffins at this moment in time.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
The Wings are really hoping they can get Hutchinson to sign and be their #1 in GR (he's hoping to play in the NHL, and is otherwise considering Europe). Otherwise, there is a big hole there. It sounds like they are willing to give Cossa run as the backup in GR, but behind the scenes it's really a competition between him, Lethemon (who just got assigned to Toledo), and Bednar. None of the three are considered quality starter material for the Griffins at this moment in time.
Which makes it more interesting that they are going with 3 goalies in NHL. Why not just send Lyon down now and cossa is the backup? Lyon and Reimer both played very well this preseason, I just don't see them waiving Reimer because he will get picked up from someone (like TBL). Unless they are exploring a trade.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Which makes it more interesting that they are going with 3 goalies in NHL. Why not just send Lyon down now and cossa is the backup? Lyon and Reimer both played very well this preseason, I just don't see them waiving Reimer because he will get picked up from someone (like TBL). Unless they are exploring a trade.
The Wings are pretty confident that Lyon would also be claimed. Something will have to give eventually, but the Wings are going to protect their assets for now, especially if they can convince Hutchinson to be an AHL starter.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
The Wings are pretty confident that Lyon would also be claimed. Something will have to give eventually, but the Wings are going to protect their assets for now, especially if they can convince Hutchinson to be an AHL starter.
AH, thought Lyon would be waiver exempt to go down. He would obviously be picked up on waivers too.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

FWIW, the Walleye added a goalie on Friday. Considering they are also going to have Bednar, this might be an indicator they are preparing for Lethemon to stay in GR, at least to start the season.

Hutchinson would probably be good insurance if Cossa and Lethemon aren't cutting the mustard in the #1 and #2 jobs in GR and they still don't want to risk trying to send Lyon down. Or just to give them the flexibility to send Cossa or Lethemon down to Toledo for whatever reason.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
FWIW, the Walleye added a goalie on Friday. Considering they are also going to have Bednar, this might be an indicator they are preparing for Lethemon to stay in GR, at least to start the season.

Hutchinson would probably be good insurance if Cossa and Lethemon aren't cutting the mustard in the #1 and #2 jobs in GR and they still don't want to risk trying to send Lyon down. Or just to give them the flexibility to send Cossa or Lethemon down to Toledo for whatever reason.
Yeah, Jastor just said that Lyon could be picked up on waivers and I didn't realize he wasn't waiver exempt. Not sure why I thought that but obviously he would be picked up.

It kind of looks like Lalond/Yzerman want to have players that are on the NHL roster to be playing with no healthy scratches in the press box. Husso will get like 50% of games, but having reimer/lyon split the other 50 would be beneficial for longevity for Husso. The petry trade was a surprise I think, so we will just have a rotation of D for the bottom 2 pairings with petry/chiarot/ghost/holl/maatta to keep them fresh. Same process for goalies.

It'll be interesting for sure.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yeah, Jastor just said that Lyon could be picked up on waivers and I didn't realize he wasn't waiver exempt. Not sure why I thought that but obviously he would be picked up.

It kind of looks like Lalond/Yzerman want to have players that are on the NHL roster to be playing with no healthy scratches in the press box. Husso will get like 50% of games, but having reimer/lyon split the other 50 would be beneficial for longevity for Husso. The petry trade was a surprise I think, so we will just have a rotation of D for the bottom 2 pairings with petry/chiarot/ghost/holl/maatta to keep them fresh. Same process for goalies.

It'll be interesting for sure.

Yea, normally a goalie on a 1-way with term coupled with the threat that the original waiving team can re-claim the player and send them directly to the AHL without waivers again is enough to get them cleared. For whatever reason (likely the injuries in Tampa and Colorado and Lyon's most recent NHL resume) the Wings don't think that's going to do it for Lyon. At least not at the moment.

It is indeed interesting, though I'd be really surprised if it ends up a long term thing. Wings are probably just waiting for all the dust to settle with pre-season waivers, teams doing all their cap compliance/LTIR junk and maybe even playing chicken with the handful of other teams still holding onto 3 waiver eligible goalies (MTL, LA, NJ, maybe others?). Both Stalock and Martin Jones cleared over the past couple of days, and the Avs simply snagged a warm body to get around the Francouz injury, so the threat might not be as serious as initially anticipated.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Yea, normally a goalie on a 1-way with term coupled with the threat that the original waiving team can re-claim the player and send them directly to the AHL without waivers again is enough to get them cleared. For whatever reason (likely the injuries in Tampa and Colorado and Lyon's most recent NHL resume) the Wings don't think that's going to do it for Lyon. At least not at the moment.

It is indeed interesting, though I'd be really surprised if it ends up a long term thing. Wings are probably just waiting for all the dust to settle with pre-season waivers, teams doing all their cap compliance/LTIR junk and maybe even playing chicken with the handful of other teams still holding onto 3 waiver eligible goalies (MTL, LA, NJ, maybe others?). Both Stalock and Martin Jones cleared over the past couple of days, and the Avs simply snagged a warm body to get around the Francouz injury, so the threat might not be as serious as initially anticipated.
I read somewhere that they can put Vasi on LTIR and would clear another 9 mil for TBL lmao. It would make a lot of sense for TBL to accept any goalie on waivers at the moment and Lyon might be the best possible. Definitely better than jones/stalock. Murray just had a surgery for months of rehab time and I saw samsonov was shaken up in practice the other day. So I guess TOR too.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I read somewhere that they can put Vasi on LTIR and would clear another 9 mil for TBL lmao. It would make a lot of sense for TBL to accept any goalie on waivers at the moment and Lyon might be the best possible. Definitely better than jones/stalock. Murray just had a surgery for months of rehab time and I saw samsonov was shaken up in practice the other day. So I guess TOR too.

The Leafs pretty much wrote off Murray as being a non factor this season back in July. That's why they planned around promoting Woll and signed Jones. With Jones clearing waivers, the Leafs are fine because they can now move him up and down.

I'm surprised with Stalock because his numbers were pretty good last season considering he played on that absolute dumpster in Chicago.

We'll see what Tampa ends up doing. They can and likely will put Vasilevskiy on LTIR, but once he comes off, they go back to having no cap space to where even Lyon's extra $125k over their other goalies might cause them to have to just put him right back on waivers.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
The Leafs pretty much wrote off Murray as being a non factor this season back in July. That's why they planned around promoting Woll and signed Jones. With Jones clearing waivers, the Leafs are fine because they can now move him up and down.

I'm surprised with Stalock because his numbers were pretty good last season considering he played on that absolute dumpster in Chicago.

We'll see what Tampa ends up doing. They can and likely will put Vasilevskiy on LTIR, but once he comes off, they go back to having no cap space to where even Lyon's extra $125k over their other goalies might cause them to have to just put him right back on waivers.
Yeah, just saw jones was cleared for toronto.

side note: i looked at the toronto boards and a lot of them predicted that their first game against the habs will be 4-3 and probably OT. Are they really overestimating habs or am i taking crazy pills and the habs are actually supposed to be good????

Surely TOR defense/goalies isn't THAT BAD to allow 3 goals and overtime.../rant

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yeah, just saw jones was cleared for toronto.

side note: i looked at the toronto boards and a lot of them predicted that their first game against the habs will be 4-3 and probably OT. Are they really overestimating habs or am i taking crazy pills and the habs are actually supposed to be good????

Surely TOR defense/goalies isn't THAT BAD to allow 3 goals and overtime.../rant

Did they forget they don't have Holl anymore? :laugh::help:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For whatever reason (likely the injuries in Tampa and Colorado and Lyon's most recent NHL resume) the Wings don't think that's going to do it for Lyon. At least not at the moment.

Probably because one of the teams inquired about a trade. Even if Lyon goes on waivers, TBL is 24th in the waiver claims order (25 minus Red Wings) so there's no guarantee that they will get Lyon. They could've already offered up a late pick like a 4th rd or something. Maybe Stevie is holding out for a better payday, get that second rounder so Draper can waste it on a kid with no puck skills.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think we need a 4th goalie.

Stopped wathing after Reimer let in that Lindell goal.

Is Alex Westlund the worst goalie coach at NHL ?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Think we need a 4th goalie.

Stopped wathing after Reimer let in that Lindell goal.

Is Alex Westlund the worst goalie coach at NHL ?
He's well regarded around NHL circles, he got the job because he coached Samsonov, Vanacek, and Copley in Hershey (AHL). All 3 are having a bad year, but they've done decent in the past.

I really don't think it's his fault, the Wings have 3 flawed goalies that like to let in softies. 3 goalie rotation rarely works anyways, Stevie needs to just trade Reimer, Lalonde needs to let Lyon prove himself (or fail) and take the next steps from there.

I think Westlund's main focus is Cossa anyways.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Our goaltending has been a shitshow for a decade (!).. at some point you need to realize it and invest, as it’s the most important position in the game. Hopefully, when the chance comes to either sign or trade for a goalie worth of 7+/year, Yzerman does just that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So we'll need a 4th goalie.

Hutchinson up?
Hutch has a GR contract, and isn't playing any better than Cossa. Cossa probably gets called up to sit on the bench. the only other goalie with a Wings contract is Lethemon.

Really odd how this played out though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3