Speculation: Could Detroit start the year with three goalies?

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Pretty simple question. Lyon and Reimer have both looked fine and there are teams that desperately need goaltending help. If we waive Lyon I cannot envision him making it through waivers. Reimer might clear but I’m confident that is the case. With that being said, I tend to think it’s more likely than not we open the year with three goalies (barring a trade). It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yes they could.

But I would waive Reimer, because that higher salary protects him better. He could also be better mentor for AHL guys, like Cossa.

Think Lyon will be the better backup goaltender very soon.

Reactions: DTR

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm in no hurry to limit goaltending options. Let everybody hang around and continue to compete - Husso needs a reliable 1B to keep him fresh, and there's no rush in ruling out who might do that best.

I'm pulling for Lyon, but things can continue to unfold for seeing what's best for the roster.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah I think we start with 3 goalies. Lyon isn't clearing and I think Stevie wants to make sure we don't have a backup issue like last year. Husso is a fine #1 but he is not a high usage goalie.

Reactions: NickH8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think so. Unless they go 8 D. I don't see a forward that'd be worth having as a 14th guy other than Czarnik, who I think they want in GR. The rest that are close to the NHL would be kids who we don't want sitting.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Plenty can change but it sure looks like they'll go that way. The roster looks pretty set at forward and D and leaving that spot open for a third goalie gives them options to figure it out when the time comes.

I thought the Lyon signing was a very smart move and would hate to lose him for nothing. I don't mind having Reimer for added depth, but I'm pulling for Lyon to get the backup job as the season goes on.

Reactions: Henkka

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
If they have to choose between lyon or reimer, they are choosing to keep lyon, no question at all.

I've actually liked Lyon more than Reimer this preseason based off of post-to-post play and "fluidity" in the net, but both have been solid. Crazy how playing the defensive-based system the correct way will help out the goalies do their job I guess?

Plenty can change but it sure looks like they'll go that way. The roster looks pretty set at forward and D and leaving that spot open for a third goalie gives them options to figure it out when the time comes.

I thought the Lyon signing was a very smart move and would hate to lose him for nothing. I don't mind having Reimer for added depth, but I'm pulling for Lyon to get the backup job as the season goes on.
What does that roster look like to you? I still see 2 forward spots that are up for grabs at this point.

(if you are going to show it as a lineup of line 1/2/3 etc. I don't care about who you put on line 1 vs 3 or whatever, just curious how you perceive the actual lineup being locked at this point)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Yzerman talked last month about how you need goaltending depth, so it would not surprise me if all three are on the roster.
Lalonde was asked in a post game (i think after first chicago preseason game) about going 3 deep and he said it has worked in the past for him and they believe it is a real possibility.

From him saying those exact (or close to) words, I would be fairly confident that we will have 3 goalies and 7 D (he talked about 7 d as well). He also said it can be very beneficial and has seen success with rolling in 11 F too. That'll be interesting.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Tampa needs a goalie trade one to them for a 7th rounder or future considerations.
why 7th rounder or future considerations when the team needs one...

man I'm glad your not the GM lmao. Not even saying either one deserves more than a 7th rounder or better pick, just saying this is a terrible way to offload someone you just signed lol.

Reactions: heyfolks

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
If they have to choose between lyon or reimer, they are choosing to keep lyon, no question at all.

I've actually liked Lyon more than Reimer this preseason based off of post-to-post play and "fluidity" in the net, but both have been solid. Crazy how playing the defensive-based system the correct way will help out the goalies do their job I guess?

What does that roster look like to you? I still see 2 forward spots that are up for grabs at this point.

(if you are going to show it as a lineup of line 1/2/3 etc. I don't care about who you put on line 1 vs 3 or whatever, just curious how you perceive the actual lineup being locked at this point)
Ok not necessarily the actual line combos as you mentioned but just to list it all out:

Debrincat-Larkin-Raymond
Ras-Compher-Perron
Fabbri-Copp-Berggren
Sprong-Veleno-Kostin
Fischer

Walman-Seider
Ghost-Petry
Maatta-Holl
Chiarot

Husso
Reimer

Which would leave one slot open that they could either use for Lyon as the 3rd goalie, or opt for a 14th forward or 8th Dman.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Ok not necessarily the actual line combos as you mentioned but just to list it all out:

Debrincat-Larkin-Raymond
Ras-Compher-Perron
Fabbri-Copp-Berggren
Sprong-Veleno-Kostin
Fischer

Walman-Seider
Ghost-Petry
Maatta-Holl
Chiarot

Husso
Reimer

Which would leave one slot open that they could either use for Lyon as the 3rd goalie, or opt for a 14th forward or 8th Dman.
Really looks like you keep Lyon up in this case.

Reactions: The Red Line

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Really looks like you keep Lyon up in this case.
I agree. I'd rather give the younger prospects better ice time in GR and unless there's some unexpected waiver guy out there, I think we have more value keeping Lyon up and rolling with 13F and 7D, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Apparently cayden primeau might be exposed on waivers. Michigan born, ex redwing Keith primeau's son

He was highly regarded at some point and just turned 24. Were not winning squat this year I'd take a shot pick him up and send down the other 2 and keep the one who doesnt get claimed in grand Rapids

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
why 7th rounder or future considerations when the team needs one...

man I'm glad your not the GM lmao. Not even saying either one deserves more than a 7th rounder or better pick, just saying this is a terrible way to offload someone you just signed lol.
We don't need James Reimer he's a bum. Losing his is addition by subtraction.

Reactions: norrisnick

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lalonde was asked in a post game (i think after first chicago preseason game) about going 3 deep and he said it has worked in the past for him and they believe it is a real possibility.

From him saying those exact (or close to) words, I would be fairly confident that we will have 3 goalies and 7 D (he talked about 7 d as well). He also said it can be very beneficial and has seen success with rolling in 11 F too. That'll be interesting.

This sound like the season starting roster could be 12 + 8 + 3 = 23 guys.

They'll go with 11 + 7 system, so there's one extra forward at 12-guy group. And one extra defenceman at 8-guy group. And also that extra goalie.

This would mean, they are gonna send Berggren down for the season start, if Fabbri is healthy.

If they are not gonna use 11+7 system, and going traditional 12+6, then it could be Edvinsson going down.

1. Larkin
2. DeBrincat
3. Perron
4. Copp
5. Fabbri (IR or not ?) <<--- this is the KEY for Berggren situation
6. Sprong
7. Compher
8. Rasmussen
9. Raymond
10. Kostin
11. Fischer
12. Veleno
--------------
13. Berggren (waiver-exempt)
--------------
14. Söderblom (waiver-exempt)
15. Kasper (waiver-exempt)
16. Danielson (waiver-exempt)

1. Seider
2. Chiarot
3. Gostisbehere
4. Holl
5. Walman
6. Määttä
7. Petry
-------------------
8. Edvinsson (waiver-exempt)
-------------------
9. Wallinder (waiver-exempt)
10. Johansson (waiver-exempt)

1. Husso
2. Lyon
3. Reimer
-----------
4. Hutchinson (try-out)

I wonder if Hutchinson is the spare part goalie, if they plan to waive Reimer, and lose him.

Then they'll sign Hutchinson to to replace Reimer. It's like a plan C of plan B.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
This sound like the season starting roster could be 12 + 8 + 3 = 23 guys.

They'll go with 11 + 7 system, so there's one extra forward at 12-guy group. And one extra defenceman at 8-guy group. And also that extra goalie.

This would mean, they are gonna send Berggren down for the season start, if Fabbri is healthy.

If they are not gonna use 11+7 system, and going traditional 12+6, then it could be Edvinsson going down.

1. Larkin
2. DeBrincat
3. Perron
4. Copp
5. Fabbri (IR or not ?) <<--- this is the KEY for Berggren situation
6. Sprong
7. Compher
8. Rasmussen
9. Raymond
10. Kostin
11. Fischer
12. Veleno
--------------
13. Berggren (waiver-exempt)
--------------
14. Söderblom (waiver-exempt)
15. Kasper (waiver-exempt)
16. Danielson (waiver-exempt)

1. Seider
2. Chiarot
3. Gostisbehere
4. Holl
5. Walman
6. Määttä
7. Petry
-------------------
8. Edvinsson (waiver-exempt)
-------------------
9. Wallinder (waiver-exempt)
10. Johansson (waiver-exempt)

1. Husso
2. Lyon
3. Reimer
-----------
4. Hutchinson (try-out)

I wonder if Hutchinson is the spare part goalie, if they plan to waive Reimer, and lose him.

Then they'll sign Hutchinson to to replace Reimer. It's like a plan C of plan B.
Hutchinson is not the greatest so I would rather have reimer.

Fabbri was seen on the ice early yesterday practicing by himself, so I doubt he is out for a significant amount of time.

Berggren actually played quite decent last night with veleno and kostin. Again, I haven't seen much exciting things in kostin this preseason, so idk.

Based on today's game, Soderblom and Danielson aren't gonna make the roster. Has Elmer even played one decent game this preseason? Kasper hasn't shown enough either.
soderblom was not great. His first game was not bad actually. Not sure what happened here.

Danielson didn't play terrible, he just wasn't noticeable. Theres a difference there. He did use his body multiple times to gain control. He just didn't show his offense because it seemed like the wings were chasing most of the game.

Pretty disappointed in kasper this preseason with all the hype and what I have personally seen prior. Thought he was going to show up and show out.

Reactions: Gniwder

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

Debrincat-Larkin-Raymond
Ras-Compher-Perron
Fabbri-Copp-Berggren
Sprong-Veleno-Kostin
Fischer

Walman-Seider
Ghost-Petry
Maatta-Holl
Chiarot

Husso
Reimer

Had a feeling it was berggren and kostin lol. Just didn't want to assume.

Berggren to me hasn't earned his spot yet. He did have a great game last night but idk as of now. Kostin is the same but I just haven't seen any good game from him and that really sucks because I thought he was going to be a diamond in the rough type trade where we get to rub it in hollands nose. Yet, here we are.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Had a feeling it was berggren and kostin lol. Just didn't want to assume.

Berggren to me hasn't earned his spot yet. He did have a great game last night but idk as of now. Kostin is the same but I just haven't seen any good game from him and that really sucks because I thought he was going to be a diamond in the rough type trade where we get to rub it in hollands nose. Yet, here we are.

His waiver status definitely comes in to play but to me his play last year indicates he has earned a spot in the lineup, if not as a regular than at least as the 13th forward, even if his preseason has been underwhelming. I'm not sure what an extra year in GR really does for his development. I could certainly be wrong.

Kostin I think will get some benefit of the doubt, he was signed in the off-season to play on the team, I find it hard to believe they would waive him.

I just don't see who has the inside track on those guys. Danielson has been great but that is a fan's pipe dream - he's going back to juniors, and then the AHL next year to fine tune his game, as it should be. Soderblom has all the tools but is still raw and could use the minutes in GR. Edvinsson is a guy we all want up, but they already have 7 NHL dmen - for better or for worse - and will eat big minutes in the AHL. Again, I just don't see who would have a better inside track than Berggren and I believe Kostin is definitely on the team.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I hope we keep Lyon. If it comes down to 2.

Curious if we don't keep all 3, if Yzerman doesn't have a deal lined up with Tampa. We have waiver exempt players so we could make it work, or trade one off.

Reactions: deca guard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad