Could David Clarkson void his contract?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Looking for someone with CBA knowledge.

Could Clarkson and the Maple Leafs mutually agree to void his contract?

Say Shanahan approached him about the team needing cap space, and promised to sign him at the same term, but at a lesser cap hit (say 3.25-3.75M).

Is that something that is allowed? Earlier in the season Kontiola mutually terminated his contract to go back to the KHL.

Luca

Nov 22, 2006
Most certainly no. And even if it was possible, who would throw millions away?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Even if it were possible, the league would almost certainly come down on the Leafs for cap circumvention.

Luongo looked into this anyways and it wasn't feasible.

that's who i thought of right away - I remember Lu's very pathetic "I'd void my contract if I could."

Even if Clarkson did - the NHLPA would be another beast because they'd be all "you're ruining it for the rest of us

this is why, I think contract structure should really be looked at in the next cba. if people want to overpay - fine, but even if Clarkson was never going to be 30 goal scoring man, he shouldn't be this bad either.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Only two options for the Leafs on Clarkson are:

a) Hold onto him for another 2-4 years, and then buy him out roughly half way into his deal. Cap savings won't be great, but they would be much better than they if you were to try and buy him out now (of which there's no point - you save very little based on the way Clarkson's contract is structured).

OR

b) if he gets a serious injury and ends up on LTIR like Pronger or Marc Savard or others, essentially voiding the cap hit against the cap.

Clarkson also isn't stupid enough to void his contract with the Leafs - why would he? He's only got a handful of years left as an NHL player, and then he has the rest of his life ahead of him. He's going to take his money and use it for the rest of his life. It's the responsible thing to do

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He can retire and go the KHL then come back with a high paying media job with Rogers or Bell. That's about it.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Only two options for the Leafs on Clarkson are:

a) Hold onto him for another 2-4 years, and then buy him out roughly half way into his deal. Cap savings won't be great, but they would be much better than they if you were to try and buy him out now (of which there's no point - you save very little based on the way Clarkson's contract is structured).

OR

b) if he gets a serious injury and ends up on LTIR like Pronger or Marc Savard or others, essentially voiding the cap hit against the cap.

Clarkson also isn't stupid enough to void his contract with the Leafs - why would he? He's only got a handful of years left as an NHL player, and then he has the rest of his life ahead of him. He's going to take his money and use it for the rest of his life. It's the responsible thing to do

Or c) Retain half of his salary and see if we have any buyers. $2.625M for the next 5 seasons in dead cap space.

Marian Gaborik

Sep 20, 2005
The only way to "void" his contract would be for him to retire like Kovalchuk did. Seeing as he doesn't have a monster contract in the KHL waiting for him, so that's not going to happen.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
That is something that would never happen. Noone would void a huge contract playing in their hometown close to family.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Clarkson would be able to agree to terminate his contract with the Leafs if he wishes so but the league would not permit him to re-sign with them unless he plays a full season or so with another team in the league like the Devils or something. I think...

Randy8706

Aug 2, 2012
another way to get rid of Clarkson's contract

If someone were crazy enough to jump out of the bushes and smash his knee a few times with a baseball bat we have 6 million in extra cap space.. player accountability?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Or c) Retain half of his salary and see if we have any buyers. $2.625M for the next 5 seasons in dead cap space.

I don't know that anyone takes him, even at that rate.

I mean - what does he provide, exactly? That's a lot of term to hope a guy gets a fresh lease on the ice based on a change of scenery.

He's not a point producing guy so he won't fit into your top. He's not physical or nasty enough or smart enough off the puck to be a reliable guy in your bottom 6.

What is he? If you take the contract away from the discussion, and just explain *what* David Clarkson is, I think a lot of ppl (myself included) would struggle to be able to tell you.

It's almost like he has an identity crisis.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
We as Leafs nation must band together and start the David Clarkson retirement fund!! Everyone in Leafs nation can donate whatever they can afford to the David Clarkson fund and then we can give him the money so he can just simply retire with all the cash he could ever need.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
If someone were crazy enough to jump out of the bushes and smash his knee a few times with a baseball bat we have 6 million in extra cap space.. player accountability?

Miss Harding, phone call at the courtesy desk. Phone call at the courtesy desk for Tanya Harding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad