Confirmed with Link: Cossa signs entry level deal

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Rasmussen was one of those few guys. Because he was going 2 PPG with Tri-City and just using the fact he was physically larger to push guys around. Literal man versus boys scenario. The AHL would have been perfect for his continued growth but they had to rush him.

They did not have to rush him.
They made a mistake based on a great playoffs.
But Rasmussen's career high in the WHL was 59 points in 47 games.
That's nice.
But it's not exactly "too good good to play here."
Not for a guy who couldn't skate with the puck in the neutral zone - kind of an important basic skill to have if you're an NHL center.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That's nice.
Not for a guy who couldn't skate with the puck in the neutral zone - kind of an important basic skill to have if you're an NHL center.

I guess it would depend on how you care to develop him. Most kids who have a 59 in 47 stat line with things to work on are the ones who are undersized, one-way minded, and perimeter focused. It's easier for those kids to learn to physically impose themselves when playing against their age group and learn to lock in those habits before the bigger, stronger, better in the NHL start to make life difficult.

For Rasmussen, he already did those things. You expect Rasmussen to score a majority of his points through a physical game as a below the hash, net front type player. If he's doing that in juniors already, the next step is to get him against pros.

You could have sent Rasmussen back to juniors and have him workout like crazy, clean up his skating, and try to create more with skill and working on his shot, but it's immensely different than sending back a skilled offensive player and saying "go learn how to control the game defensively, maintain possession of the puck, and get to the hard areas of the ice."

I can see why we sped up the arrival, and I can see why there was value in sending him back. What I will say now is that I don't think there's a substantial difference in Rasmussen's game regardless of which route we took with his development.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
That's nice.
Suggesting that an NHL team (any NHL team) got duped by a tiny sample size that happened to be obvious to you is dubious at best.
The reality is that they chose one of 2 imperfect options and it worked out fine.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That's nice.

Sorry, I should have extended it. If they wanted to advance him up a rank (which probably would have been the right call if he could have gone to the AHL... they had to rush him to the NHL because the rules prevented a move to the AHL for someone his age.

I wasn't saying "they had no other choice but to advance him, but moreso if they wanted to advance him, that was the only place they could do it to.

Or more cleanly stated, if they wanted him to play at a level higher than the WHL because they overvalued his playoffs, he had to be brought to the NHL because he couldn't go to the A.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Sorry, I should have extended it. If they wanted to advance him up a rank (which probably would have been the right call if he could have gone to the AHL... they had to rush him to the NHL because the rules prevented a move to the AHL for someone his age.

I wasn't saying "they had no other choice but to advance him, but moreso if they wanted to advance him, that was the only place they could do it to.

Or more cleanly stated, if they wanted him to play at a level higher than the WHL because they overvalued his playoffs, he had to be brought to the NHL because he couldn't go to the A.

Understand all that. I just disagree.
His weaknesses were so weak, that he needed another year of junior.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Dude. it was one game.
If he pitched a shutout, he wouldn't be the next Vasilevsky. Allowing 5-6 goals doesn't make him late-era Jimmy Howard, either.

You and I are saying the same thing. A bad prospect tournament doesn't mean anything. A good prospect tournament doesn't mean anything. The only way it would is if Cossa came in 65 pounds overweight and was completely uncoachable (a la Pavel Brendl).

I was saying that hey, maybe we give our first round pick more than a line shuffled prospect tournament before we bitch about how badly he played.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The prospects tournament showed that Edmonton Oil Kings must have been extraordinarily dominant team in their league.

The prospects tournament showed that the WHL is not the same level of competition as a prospects tournament.

New team nerves, poor defense, increased talent in the competition. It's understandable that he struggled in one game.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Oh no, he played poorly in one meaningless game, might as well release him. Also want to point out, that there are good goalies who didn't even pay well in the AHL, yet are good in the NHL.

Means nothing to us, until we see him in a Wings game(s).

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You and I are saying the same thing. A bad prospect tournament doesn't mean anything. A good prospect tournament doesn't mean anything. The only way it would is if Cossa came in 65 pounds overweight and was completely uncoachable (a la Pavel Brendl).

I was saying that hey, maybe we give our first round pick more than a line shuffled prospect tournament before we bitch about how badly he played.

Right.
It means dick all.
On the other hand, it was the best in-game look I've had at Cossa.
And he's got some work to do.
I can definitely see the "Wallstedt is polished and has NHL form" but "Cossa is more athletic and has potential" point that was made in the BlackBook.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Oh no, he played poorly in one meaningless game, might as well release him. Also want to point out, that there are good goalies who didn't even pay well in the AHL, yet are good in the NHL.

Means nothing to us, until we see him in a Wings game(s).
I am sure his first game as a Wing meant a lot to him.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
The prospects tournament showed that the WHL is not the same level of competition as a prospects tournament.

New team nerves, poor defense, increased talent in the competition. It's understandable that he struggled in one game.
I was tryna be a devil's advocate and kinda funny :naughty:

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

The prospects tournament bumped Tyutyayev's cred some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad