Prospect Info: Cossa Crushing it in Grand Rapids

O6OG

Feb 15, 2022
I like the move. It was looking like Cossa was going to be part of a 3 man platoon in GR which is not at all what his development needs at this point

Reactions: NickH8

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I had got into my head that he was going to do a 50/50 split with a .910 save% in GR this year, so this is a bit disappointing. But realistically, he hasn't shown anything to this point that he would actually do that. More playing time isn't a bad thing. Just hope he plays well

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kind of unexpected but if he possesses the talent he was drafted for he won't be there indefinitely.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Kind of unexpected but if he possesses the talent he was drafted for he won't be there indefinitely.

I dislike that Cossa is there, but that's also my thought. Brattstrom will eventually play his way down. I wish there was a way we could loan him to an Allsvenskan team or something instead, though.

Reactions: Retire91

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Holtby, Grubauer, Quick and Dubnyk also started their pro career's in ECHL, this is a better choice than going back to WHL. Whole new challenge and enviroment for Cossa. Olkinuora was probably promised a clear number 1 goalie role but injuries will happen, Cossa gets AHL games at somepoint of the season.

If Husso or Ned gets hurt, Olkinuora will be called up and Cossa replaces Olkinuora in GR then. Backupström is not stealing any minutes from Cossa.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
ba15340c-6e60-4da1-bafd-8ba52ab524b3_text.gif

Well hopefully he gets to the AHL soon.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I dislike that Cossa is there, but that's also my thought. Brattstrom will eventually play his way down. I wish there was a way we could loan him to an Allsvenskan team or something instead, though.

I tend to agree we are talking about someone that has all-star celling I am not sure why they would play these kind of games with his development. If he has a championship mind set he will take it in stride and will get through it but my first reaction to this was "really?" He should be able to easily prove his way out of the situation though.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
He will still likely get time in GRG’s net this year. He is the 4th best goalie in the organization in terms of skill and the 5th in terms of depth chart.
If he gets a plethora of minutes this year and continues to take steps with his game, he may be the 3rd best in terms of skill at the end of the year.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
He gets the goalie coaching from our organization that he needs while not being possibly in over his head in the ahl

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Woof. That's a rough start for a guy in his D+2 that was drafted 15OA. Don't really understand why Yzerman signed so many goalies when he knew Cossa was coming in.

There are NHL-level goalies who spent time in the ECHL, but none of them have been all-star quality guys and only one was a consistent starter for his entire career.

Things just go from bad to worse for this kid.

Reactions: Gniwder

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Woof. That's a rough start for a guy in his D+2 that was drafted 15OA. Don't really understand why Yzerman signed so many goalies when he knew Cossa was coming in.

There are NHL-level goalies who spent time in the ECHL, but none of them have been all-star quality guys and only one was a consistent starter for his entire career.

Things just go from bad to worse for this kid.
Bad to worse? It’s better than playing in the WHL

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
While I wanted Wallstedt more than Cossa, this is disappointing. Looks like he's gonna play in the AHL after posting good numbers in the SHL. Of course there would be at least one guy that says he won't learn anything there and should be playing in the NHL, lol.

Let's hope this is a one season deal. Not liking it at all. I'd rather be wrong about Cossa over Wallstedt because it's a first round pick...

Bad to worse? It’s better than playing in the WHL
I guess the plan is to get him accustomed to crappy defensemen right away, lol.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
When Toledo is much nearer Detroit than Grand Rapids, like 57min drive away, I could think DET goalie coach could work with him on off-days.

And of course, they did the most rational decision.

Toledo, games against men, will get challenged. Everything what Yzerman talked about.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Wow, who was the last top 15 pick in the draft to play in an ECHL game as a teenager?

Not saying it’s a dumpster fire idea or anything…
Just seems like this is a historically rare path for a blue chip prospect at this age.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Just wait for either Husso or Ned to get injured...
---> Olkinuora called up.
---> Cossa called up to AHL and will start for Griffins.
Then back to Toledo when NHL guys are healthy, Olkinuora back to GR.

He'll get plenty of games at probably 2 different levels, and there's no reason to be disappointed of these decisions.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Wow, who was the last top 15 pick in the draft to play in an ECHL game as a teenager?

Not saying it’s a dumpster fire idea or anything…
Just seems like this is a historically rare path for a blue chip prospect at this age.

Much ado about nothing really. At this point he needs to be playing professional hockey and he needs to be playing regularly. The Coast is fine as a jumping off point. Needless to say I hope he plays really well there and gets promoted to GR at some point in the season.

When it comes to goalies, there are only so many nets to go around. If you need to send a kid to the ECHL to get games, you do it without thinking.

Reactions: Frk It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad