Prospect Info: Cossa Crushing it in Grand Rapids

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Technically speaking, Cossa might end up being the only goalie the Wings can assign to Toledo.

Since Olkinuora and Brattstrom aren't on ELC's, they can't be sent to the ECHL without the team getting their approval.

I would agree with most in this thread that Brattstrom ends up the odd man out. But I think he ends up back in Europe (by either mutual contract termination or assignment (ala Larsson)) or traded (for future considerations or some low end return) to another organization that has the need and room in the AHL, before he he agrees to go to Toledo.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Who knows, maybe the Griffins goes all the way this year with Cossa is the number 1 goalie during the playoffs, he could reach 60 games. Based on the influx of new talent, it's not entirely out of reach.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Technically speaking, Cossa might end up being the only goalie the Wings can assign to Toledo.

Since Olkinuora and Brattstrom aren't on ELC's, they can't be sent to the ECHL without the team getting their approval.

I would agree with most in this thread that Brattstrom ends up the odd man out. But I think he ends up back in Europe (by either mutual contract termination or assignment (ala Larsson)) or traded (for future considerations or some low end return) to another organization that has the need and room in the AHL, before he he agrees to go to Toledo.

Dude Brattstrom sucks and likely has no NHL future. The wings aren’t going to send Cossa to Toledo to play Brattstrom in GR.

EDIT: for reference, This is the guy some people here are worried will play in GR over Cossa.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
No. A rookie AHL goalie isn't playing this many games. Very few vet goalies even play that many games. The AHL plays 76 (not 82) games, and only a small amount seem to hit 50+.
The AHL plays 72 games this season, not 76. It was changed this season that everyone (even the country club boys in the Pacific Division) plays 72 games. No more points percentage calculations to determine playoffs in the AHL this season. Thank God.

Reactions: Henkka and Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The AHL plays 72 games this season, not 76. It was changed this season that everyone (even the country club boys in the Pacific Division) plays 72 games. No more points percentage calculations to determine playoffs in the AHL this season. Thank God.

Ah, that is good, I hated that it was like that with some teams playing less, just cause they travel more. Pts percentage was also stupid.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

How is that Pacific Division playoff race gonna work? Division with 10 teams.

Central has 7 teams, North has 7, and Atlantic has 8 teams.

17 teams at Wester Conf and 15 teams at Eastern Conf.

Weird.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Is it common for players to loaned to other teams, but still be affiliated with the Red Wings? Or maybe even loaned to KooKoo (Liiga) like he was in the past?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Is it common for players to loaned to other teams, but still be affiliated with the Red Wings? Or maybe even loaned to KooKoo (Liiga) like he was in the past?

I don't know if it's "common" but certainly isn't rare. Off the top of my head, you had Matt Moulson getting assigned to LA's AHL squad instead of the Sabres, and the Lightning keeping Lashoff in GR after he was acquired from the Wings.

As for being assigned to a team in Europe, the Wings assigned Larsson to teams overseas the last couple of seasons after they pretty much gave up on him.

I'm guessing they're already talking to European teams.

I could also see them letting his camp talk to European teams to see if there's an option and they'll let him out of his contract if he finds something.

Reactions: Mister Ed

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't know if it's "common" but certainly isn't rare. Off the top of my head, you had Matt Moulson getting assigned to LA's AHL squad instead of the Sabres, and the Lightning keeping Lashoff in GR after he was acquired from the Wings.

As for being assigned to a team in Europe, the Wings assigned Larsson to teams overseas the last couple of seasons after they pretty much gave up on him.

I could also see them letting his camp talk to European teams to see if there's an option and they'll let him out of his contract if he finds something.
Seider was loaned to Rogle. Kasper too technically, since he's signed with the Wings.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
How is that Pacific Division playoff race gonna work? Division with 10 teams.

Central has 7 teams, North has 7, and Atlantic has 8 teams.

17 teams at Wester Conf and 15 teams at Eastern Conf.

Weird.
The AHL Board of Governors has also approved the qualification rules and format for the 2023 Calder Cup Playoffs. For the second consecutive season, a total of 23 teams will qualify for the AHL postseason, with five rounds of playoffs leading to the crowning of a Calder Cup champion.

The playoff field will include the top six finishers in the eight-team Atlantic Division, the top five finishers each in the seven-team North and Central Divisions, and the top seven teams in the 10-team Pacific Division. First Round match-ups will be best-of-three series; the two highest seeds in the Atlantic, the three highest seeds in each of the North and Central, and the first-place team in the Pacific will receive byes into the best-of-five Division Semifinals, with the First Round winners re-seeded in each division. The Division Finals will also be best-of-five series, followed by best-of-seven Conference Finals and a best-of-seven Calder Cup Finals series.

Reactions: r0bert8841

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Shouldn't the goal be to get Cossa 60 games this year?

No. A rookie AHL goalie isn't playing this many games. Very few vet goalies even play that many games. The AHL plays 76 (not 82) games, and only a small amount seem to hit 50+.

Theres no way COssa is getting 60 games as a rookie pro. The AHL actually plays 72 so him getting 60 would be outrageous.

If Cossa splits those games 50 50 while getting to work with pros, I'm happy with that

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The AHL Board of Governors has also approved the qualification rules and format for the 2023 Calder Cup Playoffs. For the second consecutive season, a total of 23 teams will qualify for the AHL postseason, with five rounds of playoffs leading to the crowning of a Calder Cup champion.

The playoff field will include the top six finishers in the eight-team Atlantic Division, the top five finishers each in the seven-team North and Central Divisions, and the top seven teams in the 10-team Pacific Division. First Round match-ups will be best-of-three series; the two highest seeds in the Atlantic, the three highest seeds in each of the North and Central, and the first-place team in the Pacific will receive byes into the best-of-five Division Semifinals, with the First Round winners re-seeded in each division. The Division Finals will also be best-of-five series, followed by best-of-seven Conference Finals and a best-of-seven Calder Cup Finals series.
8ccdbc6cb16fce1f05a14b83cf32a25a6f34ea65.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ShelbyZ and Realgud

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
People are way too obsessed with # of games. The ECHL is not an ideal developmental league if it can be avoided. I would say the goal is for Cossa to learn how to be a goalie at the professional level, and trust the organization's development personnel to teach him hoe to do that at GR. They will know how many games he should play.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
People are way too obsessed with # of games. The ECHL is not an ideal developmental league if it can be avoided. I would say the goal is for Cossa to learn how to be a goalie at the professional level, and trust the organization's development personnel to teach him hoe to do that at GR. They will know how many games he should play.
Yeah, ECHL sucks.

At the same time, it's better than not playing at all. The ECHL is certainly not a dead end:

Even for goalies...

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I've played with guys over the years who played in the Coast. They're really effin' good.... from where I stand (skate?). I kinda doubt that level of play is what a player of Cossa's caliber needs to be facing for proper development. And he'd probably be further from the organization's goalie coaches. Doesn't make a lot of sense. I guess it would still be better than the Dub though.

Would prefer to see him stay in GR, get 30-40 games, shine, and take more of a starter's role the following year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

My question would be, how much professional support do players get at the ECHL level.

Reactions: Realgud

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
My question would be, how much professional support do players get at the ECHL level.
Varies from organization to organization. Frankly I have no clue but the Wings have had guys develop there in the past (Frk, Glendening) so I wouldn't doubt they have some infrastructure there.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Varies from organization to organization. Frankly I have no clue but the Wings have had guys develop there in the past (Frk, Glendening) so I wouldn't doubt they have some infrastructure there.
I mean...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad