Prospect Info: Cossa Crushing it in Grand Rapids

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Although Cossa's numbers were not consistent for the season he went on some absolute monster runs. For development purposes I don't think he has anything left to prove in the ECHL would rather see him develop against stronger competition and work on consistency along the way.

We also showed that during the stretch that Cossa's numbers were concerning there was no other goalie with better numbers along the same stretch. The team went through something and Cossa got shelled. They turned it around and I thought Cossa ended the season on a huge up trend.

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Could he make the team next year? All 3 of our goalies stink, and I don't know we will have that much of an opportunity to upgrade the position with free agency or trades by the start of next season.

Reactions: Realgud

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Could he make the team next year? All 3 of our goalies stink, and I don't know we will have that much of an opportunity to upgrade the position with free agency or trades by the start of next season.
No, you probably try to ease him in as a backup in the 25-26 season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think Cossa should be promoted up now.

He need a new hot goalie, when all the three have cooled down.

Give him 9 regular season games of the last 14. Then send back to Griffs.

1710774866805.png

Send Husso down, no one would claim him, and would make both teams better. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
No, you probably try to ease him in as a backup in the 25-26 season.
Agreed. Goalies you don't rush because the game is so mental for them. I think you ride him next year as the main guy in GR and then bring him up as the planned backup in 25-26. If he proves starter worthy in that 25-26 year then great, but you plan to have someone that can play a starter role if needed.

I'm not opposed to giving him a few look games like Henkka noted, but dumping a full workload on him after 35ish games this year would be rough.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You want to play a rookie goalie in the middle of a playoff hunt? That would either make him ready or destroy his confidence...
rushing a Goalie of all things while being so slow with prospects at other positions would be bizarre to say the least

I don't think it's rushing anything.

Cossa is 21-year old.

Vasilevski was 20-year old, when he did get his 16 games at NHL + 4 playoff games.

Did play 25 AHL games first.

Then he was send back to AHL at next season.

Vasilevski, 20-year old, 25 AHL games + 16 NHL games
Cossa, 21-year old, 29 AHL games + 9 NHL games ?

It's just in line and as one year older.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You want to play a rookie goalie in the middle of a playoff hunt? That would either make him ready or destroy his confidence...
Do you think we have a single competent goalie on the roster right now?

Lyon had a .883 sv % in the month of February and has a .859 sv% for the month of March.

That’s the only reason I’d be looking at Cossa.

rushing a Goalie of all things while being so slow with prospects at other positions would be bizarre to say the least
Context is everything here.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Cossa is where he needs to be: focused on the Griffins closing out their season and preparing for the playoff run.
Putting a heartless, toothless, floundering and sinking Red Wings team on his shoulders is, at best, unfair to him. At worst it could sink his confidence or set back his development.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Cossa is where he needs to be: focused on the Griffins closing out their season and preparing for the playoff run.
Putting a heartless, toothless, floundering and sinking Red Wings team on his shoulders is, at best, unfair to him. At worst it could sink his confidence or set back his development.
For the record, my original bump of this thread was to ask if he should be on the team to start next year... not throw him on it right now.

Reactions: Oddbob and Realgud

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ok, my bad.
You’re good, just clarifying. Someone else recommended putting him on the team now. Which I think would probably be rash, but then again I think we are absolutely bottom tier as far as goaltending right now.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
How I see him progressing is next year he's the clear #1 in GR and maybe gets a game or two in Detroit but that's it, then the following year see if he's ready to be the backup.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

Cossa is 21-year old.

Vasilevski was 20-year old, when he did get his 16 games at NHL + 4 playoff games.

That's on the premise that you believe cossa is going to be vasi. If this is true, I'm good with waiting if that is the case lmao.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Do you think we have a single competent goalie on the roster right now?

Lyon had a .883 sv % in the month of February and has a .859 sv% for the month of March.

That’s the only reason I’d be looking at Cossa.

Context is everything here.
It's never gonna happen so let it go dude.

Cossa is 21-year old.

Vasilevskiy was not inserted into Tampa Bay's lineup while the team was free falling from the sky with the hopes him as a rookie would take the reigns and secure a playoff spot...

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It's never gonna happen so let it go dude.

Vasilevski was not inserted into Tampa Bay's lineup while the team was free falling from the sky with the hopes him as a rookie would take the reigns and secure a playoff spot...

So instead of trying something different to stop the free fall, you prefer that the team doesn't try anything new and just deals with it with the same means they have been.

Reactions: Henkka

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
So instead of trying something different to stop the free fall, you prefer that the team doesn't try anything new and just deals with it with the same means they have been.
I would start Reimer. He sucks but gives us the best chance right now especially over a nervous-can't-make-a-single-mistake pressure on a rookie with zero NHL experience...

I will say though calling up Cossa is the most sexy fan friendly move...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Yeah, the worst thing you can do is what the Wild did to Wallstedt, getting lit up for 7 goals isn't going to help his development. Fix the D first.

He's putting up decent numbers, but not dominant numbers. No need to rush him. Play Reimer instead, and hope he doesn't duck his head.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Yeah, the worst thing you can do is what the Wild did to Wallstedt, getting lit up for 7 goals isn't going to help his development. Fix the D first.

He's putting up decent numbers, but not dominant numbers. No need to rush him. Play Reimer instead, and hope he doesn't duck his head.

And Wallstedt had a few really bad games after going back down.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
giving cossa a game isnt going to ruin his developement if he gets shelled. hes been shelled n humilated in GR n preseason n improved for the better.

hmm that said if i was calling the shots id prolly go with reimer or lyon again next game.

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
giving cossa a game isnt going to ruin his developement if he gets shelled. hes been shelled n humilated in GR n preseason n improved for the better.

hmm that said if i was calling the shots id prolly go with reimer or lyon again next game.

It might not hurt him but it certainly won't help him. So much of the game is mental for goalies, there's no reason to cause more problems. Remember Jim Carey? He went from Vezina to garbage in a year. Haven't trusted a goalie since, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad