Prospect Info: Cossa Crushing it in Grand Rapids

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1683822457163.png

Lowest GAA at the ECHL playoffs.
4/4 wins per starts.
Second best Sv% after Fanti.

Lethemon has been playing good too, but not as well as Cossa.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Should Cossa play another full season in the ECHL, will that be seen as what you would expect in his development plan? How many years of development do you see for him before he is NHL ready?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Should Cossa play another full season in the ECHL, will that be seen as what you would expect in his development plan? How many years of development do you see for him before he is NHL ready?
I was under the assumption he was playing a full season with Grand Rapids this year. Has that already been confirmed or ruled out?

Reactions: Gniwder

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Seems like Lethemon has the Walleye job on lock and now it is time for Cossa to try hang in the AHL, but that's just like my opinion.

Reactions: heyfolks

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Seems like Lethemon has the Walleye job on lock and now it is time for Cossa to try hang in the AHL, but that's just like my opinion.
I think those two and an as of yet unknown goalie will be in the AHL with one of the two younger ones bouncing back and forth. Yzerman made it sound like he wanted to get a vet #3 should there be a need to call one up to the NHL but not actually carry 3G in Detroit. Basically another Hellberg, but one that can clear waivers.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Ok I will rock a Zadina avatar if someone loves that Swede as much as you do.

I was thinking I would have a Zadina avatar one day.... just not as a joke/punishment.

I think I might have been off by a few spots (Nilsson probably goes in the 25-45 range) but I'm not one to reneg on a bet.

Either way, I'm still high on the kid and think he's got the potential to be at least a smart, solid defensively 3rd line center.

Reactions: norrisnick

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think I might have been off by a few spots (Nilsson probably goes in the 25-45 range) but I'm not one to reneg on a bet.

Either way, I'm still high on the kid and think he's got the potential to be at least a smart, solid defensively 3rd line center.
Curious to see how he looks. I like some of the 2nd round and beyond Euro guys this year. Will make the draft fun and I think we can survive having a funny avatar for 30 days.

Back to the actual thread topic at hand, I am pretty happy for Cossa he gets to keep playing for a coach he has had success with.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He signed a contract with the Wings in March which makes him a RFA. I wonder if he got a qualifying offer? If he did, I wouldn't be surprised if the new GR coach keeps both Leth and Cossa.

All depends on UFA signings this summer, the Wings are down to those 2 kids and Husso. I don't see any goalies I would want besides Hill, but I'm sure he'll cost waaaaay too much.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think Cossa is absolutely in Grand Rapids to start, he can backup another goalie and ease him into the AHL, if he struggles alot maybe he gets sent back down for abit.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think Cossa is absolutely in Grand Rapids to start, he can backup another goalie and ease him into the AHL, if he struggles alot maybe he gets sent back down for abit.
Wherever he ends up, he is going to be the starter. Yzerman is adamant that he needs games.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think last year in the ECHL was basically Cossas final year of junior in a way. He was a late birthday so could move to pro earlier but due to covid he didnt get many junior games. Now this year I expect him to play in the AHL, but if he bounces between both leagues I actually wont be worried this season.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

It would seem that way, but the bigger point is Cossa isn't the #1 in Toledo, though you could argue he was moving in that direction. Unfortunately, his last game of the year, he was pulled. Can he be the #2 in GR? It doesn't appear so, but Lethemon is 27 in August. Not sure if the goal of the Wings is for him to move up.

I see the Wings signing 2 goalies this of season. Their #2 and a #3 aka #1 in GR. Hope Cossa ends up being their #2 but they may also fill that slot.

I was under the assumption he was playing a full season with Grand Rapids this year. Has that already been confirmed or ruled out?

Certainly not ruled out or stated. I was only asking IF he is in Toledo again for most of next season, is that what most see as a normal pattern for goalie development.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pretty sure that Watson+Bollinger will build the defence around their Toledo goalies.

Cossa 1a (56 total games at last season)
Lethemon 1b (42 total games at last season)

Lethemon could be the 3rd NHL goalie, called up if there's an injury for NHL goalie. Will just sit on the Wings bench and Cossa will keep playing for GR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad