Prospect Info: Cossa Crushing it in Grand Rapids

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Cossa has to get at least a 50/50 split of games to justify him being in GR.

Brattstrom looks like the odd man out.

Reactions: heyfolks

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Nice. We were otherwise expecting Brattstrom and Olkinuora to be the Griffs starters, yeah? So one goes to Toledo? Guessing Brattstrom?

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Brattstrom is the odd man out. He's up there with Bednar as a shooter tutor.
Olkinuora's little late-career renaissance in Europe doesn't convince me he's not also a shooter tutor in NA though. He just seems to have the extra rope, given his KHL performance.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
Cossa and Brattstrom will probably battle out the backup spot in GR. One of them will end up being the practice goalie/EBUG in Detroit (imo it’s going to be Cossa)

I also doubt any of them go to Toledo

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Cossa and Brattstrom will probably battle out the backup spot in GR. One of them will end up being the practice goalie/EBUG in Detroit (imo it’s going to be Cossa)

I also doubt any of them go to Toledo
EBUGs are beer leaguer nobodies, who don't have contracts with any pro team. A guy I play against has been the EBUG for the Hawks and he's a seive (actually, he's really effin' good, but he's not a 19yo 1st round draft pick). Cossa will not be an EBUG lol.

To be a "practice goalie" in Detroit, Cossa would have to be on the roster because he's under contract. But they just assigned him to GR, so we know that's not the case.

Only two spots in Detroit - Ned and Husso
Only two spots in GR - Cossa and ??? (probably Olkinuora)

There's nowhere for one of Brattstrom or Olkinuora to go other than Toledo, unless they trade one of them.

Shouldn't the goal be to get Cossa 60 games this year?
I think his play and how he is developing will largely drive how many games he gets. I doubt it'll be 60, but that's ok. It'll be his first taste of pro hockey, and if he gets 40 games, a pro gym with a pro trainer, and coaches to develop his game, the season should be a win.

Last edited:

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
So does this Westlund guy coach in Detroit or GR or is he a jack of all level's.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
So does this Westlund guy coach in Detroit or GR or is he a jack of all level's.
Goalie coaches are organization wide. So NHL/AHL/ECHL/CHL/NCAA/EURO/etc. If we have a goalie in the system, the goaltending coach lends his expertise. It's a lot like our development staff.
Brian Mahoney-Wilson is the goalie coach in GR
https://www.griffinshockey.com/team/coaches-staff/brian-mahoney-wilson

Red Wings also employ Phil Osaer, who's title is Head of Goaltending Scouting and Development
Phil Osaer at eliteprospects.com

I would image that these two work more with the prospect goalie's than Westlund, im sure that he is part of group too but Westlund probably spends more time with Husso & Ned during the season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yep, and send him to Toledo for that.

Husso 1A ~42 NHL games
Ned 1B ~40 NHL games
---------------------
Olkinuora GR starter ~50 games
Bratttström GR backup ~26 games
---------------------
Cossa Toledo starter ~50 games
Lethemon? Toledo backup

This should be the basic plan.

No reason to put him at GR backup position.

Reactions: Geezer WC

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yep, and send him to Toledo for that.

Husso 1A ~42 NHL games
Ned 1B ~40 NHL games
---------------------
Olkinuora GR starter ~50 games
Bratttström GR backup ~26 games
---------------------
Cossa Toledo starter ~50 games
Lethemon? Toledo backup

This should be the basic plan.

No reason to put him at GR backup position.

Well it isn’t the plan and isn’t happening, so time to whip up a revision

Reactions: golffuul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well it isn’t the plan and isn’t happening, so time to whip up a revision

I don't think assigning Cossa to GR, does not exclude assigning him afterwards to Toledo ?

They still have Griffins camps and suffle the final roster, and then guys will be transferred between those teams?

Just like the GR players will finalized after Wings will send players down, and the extra guys will flow to Toledo after next week ? Toledo won't start their season until 23rd of october, week later than AHL.

But if they plan Cossa to be GR starter and Olkinuora as backup, that would really be something?

Reactions: Crunchy

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I think this puts him with the core group he will be with when he's ready, so I love the idea. Grow up together and bond together. Like this idea. Would love to see him get 50% of the time in net.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

No. A rookie AHL goalie isn't playing this many games. Very few vet goalies even play that many games. The AHL plays 76 (not 82) games, and only a small amount seem to hit 50+.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
The NHL, and pro hockey in general, has really moved further from the starter/backup paradigm than ever before. I wouldn't be worried about what label Cossa is carrying. I'm sure the Wings will make sure his development is happening in the best environment. If that means eventually going to Toledo to get more games, so be it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't think assigning Cossa to GR, does not exclude assigning him afterwards to Toledo ?

They still have Griffins camps and suffle the final roster, and then guys will be transferred between those teams?

Just like the GR players will finalized after Wings will send players down, and the extra guys will flow to Toledo after next week ? Toledo won't start their season until 23rd of october, week later than AHL.

But if they plan Cossa to be GR starter and Olkinuora as backup, that would really be something?

They would have sent him to Toledo if that was the plan. Only way he plays ECHL and it would be a bad thing is if he plays bad in the AHL.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
What is wrong with a Co-Vid era goalie who didn't get enough junior games going to Toledo for 60 and playing in the AHL next year?

Last edited:

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
What is wrong with a Co-Vid era goalie who didn't get enough junior games going to Toledo for 60 and playing in the AHL next year?
He might be better off getting 30-40 games in the AHL and practicing against AHLers all season?

Also, no chance he plays 60 games in Toledo next year, they only play 72 games in their regular season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He might be better off getting 30-40 games in the AHL and practicing against AHLers all season?

Also, no chance he plays 60 games in Toledo next year, they only play 72 games in their regular season.

AHL is 76 games, so that 50 games is the realism 2/3 + 1/3 split for goalies. 50+26 games at AHL. Toledo would be 48+24.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad