Proposal: Cory Schneider for Jake Allen

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Both goalies coming off disappointing regular seasons. I think both goalies would be a better fit with the other team stylistically.

Cory Schneider age 32 signed 4 more years at 6M AAV.

Jake Allen age 27 signed 3 more years at 4.35M AAV.

Who adds? Who says no?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Come on, deep down, you know the answer to this.
:laugh:

Like Dominic said, I would guess the Blues would have to add, but I am not sure how much honestly. Schneider has Vezina-caliber pedigree, but the age difference + salary difference + extra year + recent struggles should offset some of the difference in past performance IMO.

Would love to hear from NJD fans and neutral fans on what they think a fair deal would look like with a Schneider for Allen base...Blues have picks, prospects, and roster players (outside the current core) that will all be available this offseason.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
:laugh:

Like Dominic said, I would guess the Blues would have to add, but I am not sure how much honestly. Schneider has Vezina-caliber pedigree, but the age difference + salary difference + extra year + recent struggles should offset some of the difference in past performance IMO.

Would love to hear from NJD fans and neutral fans on what they think a fair deal would look like with a Schneider for Allen base...Blues have picks, prospects, and roster players (outside the current core) that will all be available this offseason.
Dominic is wrong about it being a good base. If NJ is dealing Schneider it's because they think Kincaid can do the job.

They are a playoff team. STL isn't. They aren't going to downgrade at D (which Allen is) in order to get one of the prospects that you are willing to deal and not one of your prime prospects. Age, salary, extra year... yadda yadda.... you are making a playoff team worse in net. I think if they are dealing Schneider the "base" of the deal should be the prospect. Now what STL prospect do you think is worth Schneider?

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Both goalies coming off disappointing regular seasons. I think both goalies would be a better fit with the other team stylistically.

Cory Schneider age 32 signed 4 more years at 6M AAV.

Jake Allen age 27 signed 3 more years at 4.35M AAV.

Who adds? Who says no?

Jake Allen is awful. Blues would need to add something nice.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Both had disappointing seasons but Schneider has a much more proven track record as a #1 goalie.

If the Blues are in win-now mode I could see this making sense, with Allen fitting the Devils timeline a little better if he finds consistency in his late 20's.

A mid level pick/B prospect added on the Blues side and it's close.

Props on proposing an actual logical, fair enough proposal in the trade thread though lol

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is like Price/Halak situation all over again, or maybe, ironically, Luongo/Schneider situation.

The Luongo/Schneider situation was much more complicated, it was so complicated that it ended up leading them to lose both Schneider and Luongo. But if you compare this to the Price/Halak situation, Cory Schneider is Carey Price and Keith Kinkaid is Jaroslav Halak.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
The Luongo/Schneider situation was much more complicated, it was so complicated that it ended up leading them to lose both Schneider and Luongo. But if you compare this to the Price/Halak situation, Cory Schneider is Carey Price and Keith Kinkaid is Jaroslav Halak.

Which is sad, because Kinkaid's the better goaltender.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Schneider has been crap for 2 years now, makes much more money, and is older than Allen. Why would the Blues want him? I got no objection to dealing Allen, but Schneider makes no sense for St. Louis.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If we did that trade, we might as well trade Husso and Binnington as the length of that contract puts those guys totally out of the picture.

Easy pass from my standpoint. Roll with Allen next year as 1A and hope Husso can go 1B with Allen as backup for the rest of his contract. He is excellent at opening the bench door, and those skills just aren't developed, they are born.

Reactions: travis scott

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I feel like blues add pretty and probably pretty significantly here.

Allen has been average to bad on good teams. Schneider has been good to average on absolutely awful teams. Contracts and age may even things out a bit but if I had to choose, no matter the state of my franchise, inless I'm tanking, I'm taking Schneider

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am so ready to be rid of Allen, that I saw this thread and thought, "YES!" Then I read the thread, and came to my senses. Interesting proposal, OP, and I fully understand your motivation, but I have to pass on this one. I don't think Schneider is the answer, and I am seriously balking at the adding we would have to do. Let's wait and see what Husso brings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad