Cory Sarich Respect

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Time to pay some respect to Cory Sarich, he is currently a +8 and only a few players in the entire league are higher at +9 and +10. And this is a guy who several of you verbally beat down before he ever put an Avs jersey on. Pay the guy some respect, he has been incredibly reliable and averaging almost 18 minutes a night. Looking like the trade of the year right about now.

Incredible, Roy has done one heck of a job conducting this D core.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I dunno, I think he has been pretty meh. Especially with the puck. Wouldn't complain if he had to sit one game for Barrie or Holden.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
He has done great job(especially for expectations.), hopefully he keeps it up. Avalanche as overall has done really really well, there are not many players who are playing under their abilities. Roy is doing great job.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I dunno, I think he has been pretty meh. Especially with the puck. Wouldn't complain if he had to sit one game for Barrie or Holden.

Really? I think he's been solid. All new dmen have been pretty good imo. Hejda and especially EJ have been even better. Wilson is the guy who needs to sit. I liked him against Pittsburgh but last night he was terrible. I would love to see Barrie instead.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Really? I think he's been solid. All new dmen have been pretty good imo. Hejda and especially EJ have been even better. Wilson is the guy who needs to sit. I liked him against Pittsburgh but last night he was terrible. I would love to see Barrie instead.

He has done OK.

Really want to see either Holden or Barrie get a chance though, but as long as we are winning. I wouldn't make any changes.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think he's been better than advertised.

He is what he is, i.e. he's a little slow and makes mistakes every once in a while, but right now he's playing above the level expected from him. Would be a mistake to scratch him imo

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Yeah, he has been pretty good.

The thing that I find the most amusing is that when we first traded for him and when everyone was posting their projected lineups, I don't think 1 person had him in the lineup.

Everyone had him as a scratch, and now he is playing at a level where he can't be benched right now.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Against Carolina he looked real bad. I noticed him whiff on a bunch of passes and get knocked off the puck pretty easily. But the games prior he was pretty serviceable.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He has been surprisingly better than advertized. He is not fleet of foot, but a much better skater and better positionally than I expected.

Reevaluating the trade, I like being able to say both players have been better than the ones the Avs lost.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Because he has been used exactly how he should be by Roy, not given more than he can handle like Sacco was doing with O'brien, Hunwick etc..

Also Sarich is keeping it simple and not trying to be Bobby Orr like O'brien was doing.

Edit: If Sacco wasn't fired and still coaching the Avs this year he would put Sarich on top pair with EJ and rest of the d-men in completely wrong spots and instead of 9-1 Avs would probably be 2-8 or something.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
His +/- isn't indicative of his play, he hasn't really been involved in offensive plays much at all and handles the puck like a live grenade. But defensively he's been pretty steady back there, he and Benoit have been bailing each other out of some rough spots to start the season and I still expect them to get shell shocked before long.

But, he's been better than the Zanon-bad I expected and it's nice to see him play well enough to keep a spot in the NHL at his age. His experience could be invaluable during the rest of the season.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
He made a play last night against Carolina that settled everything down in our own zone. The Avs were running around in our own zone, and when he got the puck, instead of forcing it up the wall and keeping the pressure, he froze it on the wall. Let everyone get in position and get some help. The center got the puck and sent it out of the zone. That is a little play that not many people would give a veteran player like Sarich credit for.

I think he has been much better than expected. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he leaned down in the off-season. When I saw him interviewed I though he looked skinnier than years passed. He plays within himself, and like Guenin, is a big part of the PK. Barrie isn't going to take those PK minutes, I doubt Holden will either.

They could sit Bords in one of these games and play 7 d, but that really messes with line changes and chemistry. I would sit Wilson for a game but not against the Jets, they are BIG up front and we will need his size.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Sarich isn't a game changer but he is certainly better then the other defensemen we've had here when Sacco coached. Sarich in my eye is that calming presence in the defensive zone but he has that veteran experience that allows him to step up when you least expect him to ie. the Leafs game where he scored.

When Sarich was first traded to us I expected another Zanon. A necessary evil in order to get rid of David Jones. Sarich is looking good right now. Of course Roy deserves credit for the way Sarich is playing. Roy is having a hand in how all our defense have been playing. I expect a few times or games during the season where we will be begging to have Sarich scratched but I think he'll be on our blueline for most of the season barring injury. I like Sarich right now, as long as he sticks to his role he'll be fine.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
He made a play last night against Carolina that settled everything down in our own zone. The Avs were running around in our own zone, and when he got the puck, instead of forcing it up the wall and keeping the pressure, he froze it on the wall. Let everyone get in position and get some help. The center got the puck and sent it out of the zone. That is a little play that not many people would give a veteran player like Sarich credit for.

I think he has been much better than expected. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he leaned down in the off-season. When I saw him interviewed I though he looked skinnier than years passed. He plays within himself, and like Guenin, is a big part of the PK. Barrie isn't going to take those PK minutes, I doubt Holden will either.

They could sit Bords in one of these games and play 7 d, but that really messes with line changes and chemistry. I would sit Wilson for a game but not against the Jets, they are BIG up front and we will need his size.

I know most Av fans are down on Wilson, but I thought he played real well last night. He had some real nice crisp passes and threw his weight around. I'd like to see Barrie play, but I really don't know how that can happen anytime soon without injury,:dunno:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma

Holden is also tall and big.
Barrie though is not.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's making good decisions when to pinch and when he does, he makes simple plays with the puck. Low risk plays that maintains possession.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Although he is steady and doesn't make mistakes in the defensive zone, I find his passing to be bad...terribad. I don't like sitting one of our prize defensemen in Barrie in favor of Sarich.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't like sitting one of our prize defensemen in Barrie in favor of Sarich.

Apparently either not as prized or not as capable in the eyes of the coach though. Perhaps Barrie is having trouble adjusting to the system, but Roy does not seem anxious to get him playing time. Has he even mentioned him much in any of his interviews lately?

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Apparently either not as prized or not as capable in the eyes of the coach though. Perhaps Barrie is having trouble adjusting to the system, but Roy does not seem anxious to get him playing time. Has he even mentioned him much in any of his interviews lately?

He did say, more or less, it would be good if Johnson sat last game so that Barrie could play.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

No mention of Barrie in any interview I could find. It would appear he has fallen into Roy's doghouse, if there is such a thing.

He'll probably be re-inserted over these next ten games when it becomes clear that Wilson and Sarich aren't good and when his offense will be needed.

Mant*

Sarich has been dependable, can't ask for much more than that. Let's wait until things are actually broke before we go trying to fix them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad