Recalled/Assigned: Cory Emmerton (he was called up b/c no cap space to call up anyone else)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Someone try to tell me that Emmerton, Cleary and Samuelsson is a better option than any combination of Eaves/Tootoo/Prospects. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

I am with the prospects getting a better crack, but I think Emmerton is a better option than Eaves (this one is close) and Tootoo (this is not close) especially with two centers down it was pretty obvious which way they would go.

A part of this that doesn't make sense is that if Zetterberg is out of practice for two weeks, he will need a full weeks practice to get back anyway. At this point Zetterberg is LTIR bound. So from today two weeks would be eight games as they play Anaheim that day on December 17th. You figure he starts skating that week, so maybe he is available for Monday December 23 well that is the 11th game, doesn't make much sense to not LTIR him right now. That completely wipes these concerns off the board, plus I have no idea why you would want to rush him back from a back issue, one we know impacted his play the last time, make sure he is completely right.

At that point you can call up Sheahan, heck you can callup two guys with the kind of salary that would bring us under the cap should you feel that is the best option. That is the part of this that doesn't make any sense. But Emmerton kills penalties and keeps the puck out of his net, he is fine in a fourth line role at the NHL level, has center flexibility and has been playing well in GR. I know he isn't a popular guy around here and will likely be in Europe shortly, but Tootoo and Eaves are boarder-line NHL players that share the same fate, they are not wildly different.

He has played 125 NHL games along with 18 playoff games, has 1 point in 4 NHL games this year and 14 in 18 at the AHL level. Does so while being responsible defensively, Emmerton isn't worlds different than Andersson aside from the faceoff circle and his ability to clear waivers apparently which is why he is down.

I don't remember how long the average NHL player career is these days, but sadly I think it is around those numbers, the reality is he is a very mediocre or average NHL player when glancing at how careers work in this league, he isn't wildly different than any of the other options being proposed. I prefer Sheahan, but by the way you can put player X next to Cleary and Sammy no matter who they are and they lose that question as it was posed in the mind of almost everyone save Babcock, Holland, and probably a large portion of the players dressing room where loyalty to Cleary and Sammy are costing this team.

It does seem by ice time that if everyone had got healthy which is pretty unlikely in this sport that Cleary and Sammy were heading to the press box or some kind of rotation, that certainly makes this hurt a little more. I would play Emmerton over both those guys as well for instance, that is just how I feel about their contributions to this team and their rapidly declining performance.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I have no idea why any of you guys want Franzen to move back to centre. Why everything is getting changed in your line-ups. Johan Franzen is playing his best hockey in about two years. He looked good in the middle earlier this season but has looked straight up amazing on the wing. I don't get it.

Every single line is clicking besides line four. Lines 1, 2, and 3 have mad chemistry. Stephen Weiss has been struggling. Give him this chance by keeping the lines the same way and moving him up with Nyquist and Franzen. Nyquist and Franzen can control the puck, continue with that cycle. Weiss has been poor playing puck possession, controlling the puck, and backchecking. His faceoff percentage has been jumping however. As long as he's backchecking, can get the puck off his stick and win faceoffs, we're good here.

I want to see Tomas Jurco up too, but this was for cap reasons. Regardless, 8 of the top 9 guys from last game are clicking with the other one injured. Instead of messing up the lines, can Weiss back up, and throw in a fourth line centre. Corey Emmerton is performing in the AHL, and knows this system.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Read the Z's injury thread. It explains who can be called up with our capspace.

If Z goes on LTIR (which I assume he will) than we can call up other players who make more.

Henrik Zetterberg is slated to miss what, two weeks? Give or take. If it looks like it will be two weeks then putting up on LTIR is stupid. Henrik Zetterberg would not allowed to return until December 28th against Florida.

Corey Emmerton is a fine fourth liner in the NHL. There's no reason to sit Hank out a few more games to have a slight improvement with Luke Glendening or Patrick Eaves.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Henrik Zetterberg is slated to miss what, two weeks? Give or take. If it looks like it will be two weeks then putting up on LTIR is stupid. Henrik Zetterberg would not allowed to return until December 28th against Florida.

Corey Emmerton is a fine fourth liner in the NHL. There's no reason to sit Hank out a few more games to have a slight improvement with Luke Glendening or Patrick Eaves.

Because of the schedule, 2 weeks from now they are playing their 8th game, sounded like he won't practice until that day. So really the earliest he will probably return is December 23, which would be the 11 games from now. LTIR can be applied for 10 games or 24 days in terms of that rule. So really it is hard to imagine how he will return before that. They can hold off and see if they are wrong for a couple days, but if it becomes clear he won't practice for 2 weeks he should be placed on LTIR swiftly. The money we save with him on LTIR is a big deal in terms of the cap moving forward. Really he probably shouldn't play again until the date you have circled anyway.

Zetterberg tried playing through this back injury before and was not nearly as effective. Put him on LTIR, get him back skating sometime after the 17th and bring him back after the Christmas break, or bring him back on the 23rd and see how his back responds over the holiday. Either way putting him on LTIR sidelines him until December 21st, which sounds like it might be necessary. Unless he can return to practice next week at some point it needs to be done.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Because of the schedule, 2 weeks from now they are playing their 8th game, sounded like he won't practice until that day. So really the earliest he will probably return is December 23, which would be the 11 games from now. LTIR can be applied for 10 games or 24 days in terms of that rule. So really it is hard to imagine how he will return before that. They can hold off and see if they are wrong for a couple days, but if it becomes clear he won't practice for 2 weeks he should be placed on LTIR swiftly. The money we save with him on LTIR is a big deal in terms of the cap moving forward. Really he probably shouldn't play again until the date you have circled anyway.

Zetterberg tried playing through this back injury before and was not nearly as effective. Put him on LTIR, get him back skating sometime after the 17th and bring him back after the Christmas break, or bring him back on the 23rd and see how his back responds over the holiday. Either way putting him on LTIR sidelines him until December 21st, which sounds like it might be necessary. Unless he can return to practice next week at some point it needs to be done.

I have to double check this, but I believe it's 10 games and 24 days. Zetterberg is scheduled to miss 14 days, give or take. He could be ready to go in 12 days for all we know. So what? He's ready in 12 days, but because we placed him on LTIR we wait 12 more days? I understand it's best to completely be 100% but that's rarely the case.

So we're doing this, why? I'm sure the management wants to give Stephen Weiss a shot, right? He's making 5M and is on the fourth line. You then have Datsyuk who should be returning shortly, Nyquist, Tatar, Alfredsson, Franzen, Abdelkader, Helm, Andersson, and Bertuzzi. That's 10 players capable of a top nine spot. Drew Miller hasn't looked awful up either. Top nine is fine with Datsyuk back.

Point is, is it worth it to bring up a slight upgrade on line 4? Bringing up Tomas Jurco to play on line 4 is worthless. Luke Glendening and Corey Emmerton are very similar besides Glendening's superior offensive game (still nothing special) and the fact that he's right handed.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I missed this, and I'll eat my words on it. If it's a problem more concerning than two weeks, then place him on LTIR. If it's around 2 weeks like mentioned before, there's no need. Regardless, all that is going to be brought up is a fourth liner unless another injury happens to a top nine player.

Lines 1-3 are clicking, anad that's with Weiss on line 4. Dats is back soon too I'm guessing, and Bert can be in tomorrow night.

Then again, Zetterberg's back is the scariest part of his contract.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Lines 1, 2, and 3 have mad chemistry. Stephen Weiss has been struggling. Give him this chance by keeping the lines the same way and moving him up with Nyquist and Franzen. Nyquist and Franzen can control the puck, continue with that cycle. Weiss has been poor playing puck possession, controlling the puck, and backchecking. His faceoff percentage has been jumping however. As long as he's backchecking, can get the puck off his stick and win faceoffs, we're good here.

I get what you're going for, but I disagree. Swapping out Z for Weiss changes the dynamic and chemistry of that line entirely. It's not as simple as just swapping out interchangeable parts.

But Weiss is going to get his shot, so I guess it's sink or swim time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have to double check this, but I believe it's 10 games and 24 days. Zetterberg is scheduled to miss 14 days, give or take. He could be ready to go in 12 days for all we know. So what? He's ready in 12 days, but because we placed him on LTIR we wait 12 more days? I understand it's best to completely be 100% but that's rarely the case.

So we're doing this, why? I'm sure the management wants to give Stephen Weiss a shot, right? He's making 5M and is on the fourth line. You then have Datsyuk who should be returning shortly, Nyquist, Tatar, Alfredsson, Franzen, Abdelkader, Helm, Andersson, and Bertuzzi. That's 10 players capable of a top nine spot. Drew Miller hasn't looked awful up either. Top nine is fine with Datsyuk back.

Point is, is it worth it to bring up a slight upgrade on line 4? Bringing up Tomas Jurco to play on line 4 is worthless. Luke Glendening and Corey Emmerton are very similar besides Glendening's superior offensive game (still nothing special) and the fact that he's right handed.

Yeah I guess the scary version of this is if they don't want to put him on it because of Datsyuk's uncertainty. I think otherwise he would probably hit it. After missing about 7-10 days these guys generally take a week of practice to get back going. So I have a hard time seeing him before the 21st. Are those two dates against the Leafs and Islanders that important?

I worry about his back and the sound that he wouldn't be at practice for a couple weeks. For me that essentially means he has a three week injury, two weeks sidelined, one week conditioning and testing. It just seems to me if that is the full diagnosis they get over the next couple days he should hit LTIR. Two games in December aren't worth probably the week he gets of rest. Zetterberg likes to return from injuries pretty quickly and I don't think it helped him with either his back before or his knee. Still a valuable guy, but maybe we should just make this decision for him. Lets face it the Eastern Conference helps us a great deal in making that call and I would hope Datsyuk is drawing closer to a return sometime within that time frame..

NyquistIsMyGod*

I get what you're going for, but I disagree. Swapping out Z for Weiss changes the dynamic and chemistry of that line entirely. It's not as simple as just swapping out interchangeable parts.

But Weiss is going to get his shot, so I guess it's sink or swim time.

I'm not saying it's going to stay the same at all. However, lines 2 and 3 are clicking and I'm sure you agree there. Nyquist and Franzen have excellent chemistry, and neither are a defensive liability. Those two mesh well together. This is a chance for us to give Stephen Weiss a chance. It's also his chance. Nyquist can take on a bigger role, meaning carry the puck and play with the puck more. I feel like he wasn't getting it enough at times. If things don't work, switch it up. But right now, things are going too well.

crashman

I missed this, and I'll eat my words on it. If it's a problem more concerning than two weeks, then place him on LTIR. If it's around 2 weeks like mentioned before, there's no need. Regardless, all that is going to be brought up is a fourth liner unless another injury happens to a top nine player.

Lines 1-3 are clicking, anad that's with Weiss on line 4. Dats is back soon too I'm guessing, and Bert can be in tomorrow night.

Then again, Zetterberg's back is the scariest part of his contract.

Sorry for going off the deep end here, but if his back problems became career-ending, couldn't he just retire and the Wings wouldn't have any cap penalty? It's not like he's under a +35 contract.

I'm more concerned about losing Zetterberg prematurely because of what he means to the team, not anything to do with his long contract.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Sorry for going off the deep end here, but if his back problems became career-ending, couldn't he just retire and the Wings wouldn't have any cap penalty? It's not like he's under a +35 contract.

I'm more concerned about losing Zetterberg prematurely because of what he means to the team, not anything to do with his long contract.

No, I believe that because of his deal, due to the new CBA, there is a cap recapture penalty if he retires early. He would be a more likely candidate for LTIR if it comes to that.

NyquistIsMyGod*

No, I believe that because of his deal, due to the new CBA, there is a cap recapture penalty if he retires early. He would be a more likely candidate for LTIR if it comes to that.

Wrong. Look at Todd Bertuzzi. He can barely skate. He's hunched up at all times, and is dealing with back issues every single day. He'll never be 90% or so again. He's not on the LTIR. He can't do too many things any longer and most due to injuries. These injuries that are game time decisions, these ones that leave him out of practice, that follow him every single day.

I'm sure we all hear "It's okay he'll just retire". When do you guys see Henrik Zetterberg retiring? I see him playing at 38 years old. Possibly longer. I see him being that player that plays 60 games a year, and registers 30 points. I don't think we'd ever buy him out either.

Back issues are scary, scary things. Every day it will feel different. Age is a big factor too. Hank's back injuries are very scary. I'm more scared of Hank's back than Franzen's knees, which he has torn his ACL like twice.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010

Nope. I am saying that if it came to him not physically being able to play, he's a candidate for LTIR because of the cap recapture penalty. He likely wouldn't retire due to that recapture penalty.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Nope. I am saying that if it came to him not physically being able to play, he's a candidate for LTIR because of the cap recapture penalty. He likely wouldn't retire due to that recapture penalty.

Oh, I got you. Similar to the Chris Pronger LTIR in a way. I'm saying even when he's playing late in age, it's a big problem if that back continues to act up. Bertuzzi is in a dangerous position everytime he is hit in that lower back.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Oh, I got you. Similar to the Chris Pronger LTIR in a way. I'm saying even when he's playing late in age, it's a big problem if that back continues to act up. Bertuzzi is in a dangerous position everytime he is hit in that lower back.

Agreed. It will be a problem if his back continues to act up. Pronger is a perfect example of the treatment I think Z's contract gets if/when it gets to that stage.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Z will end up being Prongered (if the NHL doesn't turn this into a cap circumventing rule sooner or later). I just hope its age 37+ not 33 or 34. Z's had a horrid back for awhile. I'd shut him down until the Winter Classic at the min, since it seems that Dats will be back within the week. Its not worth the risk. Z's often plays through the pain, but I fear we'll be seeing the back version of Danny Cleary in a year or two if they don't play this extra safe.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wrong. Look at Todd Bertuzzi. He can barely skate. He's hunched up at all times, and is dealing with back issues every single day. He'll never be 90% or so again.

What is this MOD? Bertuzzi is not having back issues, they said it's an upper-body injury and not related in his back.

Last edited by a moderator:

NyquistIsMyGod*

What is this MOD? Bertuzzi is not having back issues, they said it's an upper-body injury and not related in his back.

You're telling me that Bertuzzi is not dealing with back issues every day? Gotcha.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Wonder when the top prospect kids will start taking lower cap hit entry level contracts. When the team is calling up Glendening and Emmerton and Coreau etc instead of the guys with real talent, it would get these top prospects to the NHL faster and keep them there.

That in turn would cause them to hit UFA earlier and make them much more money than the $100-200k extra that's on their entry level contracts. Extra money they're never even getting paid, because they can't be called up. Because the cap hits are too high.

If I'm Mantha I take a league-minimum ELC and score 20 goals in the 2014 preseason. I bet they'd keep him with the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad