Recalled/Assigned: Cory Emmerton (he was called up b/c no cap space to call up anyone else)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Would have rather seen someone like Sheahan or Jarnkrok to see where they're at, but Emmerton can do a servicable job on the 4th line and I'm assuming this bumps Weiss up to the 1st line. Time for him to step up.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Emmerton doesn't bring a lot but he doesn't hurt a lot either. I think the cap issues forced this one

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
The Wings recalled Corey Emmerton. Not Patrick Eaves, who can kill penalties. Not Tootoo, who can fight and bring energy. Not one of the kids who might replace some of Z's offense. But Corey ****ing Emmerton, who can't do ****

Maybe Kenny is trying to insulate Cleary from being the biggest pile of **** on the team

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Wings recalled Corey Emmerton. Not Patrick Eaves, who can kill penalties. Not Tootoo, who can fight and bring energy. Not one of the kids who might replace some of Z's offense. But Corey ****ing Emmerton, who can't do ****

Maybe Kenny is trying to insulate Cleary from being the biggest pile of **** on the team

Look up the salary cap, see how it works. :shakehead

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I'm thinking if not for the cap issues, Eaves would have got the call

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
I'm thinking if not for the cap issues, Eaves would have got the call

Not necessary.
If the cap wasn't the issue I think Babcock would've asked for Glendening.
Replace a center with center thing.
I know Franzen can play C as well but we have to get Weiss going sooner than later.

Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen
Abs - Helm - Alfe
Tatar - Andersson - Miller
Cleary - Emmerton - Sammy

Replace Cleary with Bert when he is ready.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
so the difference between emmertons 533 and glendenings 575 actually matters?

Yep.
Now Holland will use this as bargain tactic for the future contracts.
"See how Emmerton is getting ice time because he is making less but Nyquist couldn't play because he makes more? You should take the 500K contract."

EDIT: Then he will run to Cleary and say "I got you 50K more per year! Party at your house!"

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So he's handcuffed by his self-created mess again.

I guess that makes it better.

A little bit yes, there is nothing that is going to fix Datsyuk and Zetterberg going down regardless.

Also this should not be oh no why Emmerton over Eaves and Tootoo, that is largely the right call not just for cap reasons, but because quite frankly he might be the best option to call up it would really be between him and Eaves. The bummer is that Jurco, Sheahan, Ferraro and company cannot get the shot because they actually make more money than Emmerton when in the NHL.

I would call up Mitch Callahan before Tootoo, this organization has turned the page on Tootoo, it is time the fan-base does the same. Tootoo plays in the bottom six in Grand Rapids as well, usually on the fourth line.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Saw a tweet where they were 1000 off from being able to call up Callahan. Wonder if they wuold've

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Saw a tweet where they were 1000 off from being able to call up Callahan. Wonder if they wuold've

Quite possibly. I don't think they believe Emmerton is the answer; in fact I would be surprised if he dresses after Bert comes back, whenever that may be,

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
A little bit yes, there is nothing that is going to fix Datsyuk and Zetterberg going down regardless.

Also this should not be oh no why Emmerton over Eaves and Tootoo, that is largely the right call not just for cap reasons, but because quite frankly he might be the best option to call up it would really be between him and Eaves.The bummer is that Jurco, Sheahan, Ferraro and company cannot get the shot because they actually make more money than Emmerton when in the NHL.

I would call up Mitch Callahan before Tootoo, this organization has turned the page on Tootoo, it is time the fan-base does the same. Tootoo plays in the bottom six in Grand Rapids as well, usually on the fourth line.

That's why it makes sense to accept the reality that if Z won't even be practicing for 2 weeks, he's likely not playing for 3+ weeks so put him on LTIR and call up actual talent like Jurco, not a plug like Emmerton. You're not going to rush a guy on the wrong side of 30 back into the lineup coming off a back injury.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's why it makes sense to accept the reality that if Z won't even be practicing for 2 weeks, he's likely not playing for 3+ weeks so put him on LTIR and call up actual talent like Jurco, not a plug like Emmerton. You're not going to rush a guy on the wrong side of 30 back into the lineup coming off a back injury.

Yeah I think they should probably sit him down through Christmas, we will see what they do, all of these guys are going to make a big deal about the Winter Classic.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Look up the salary cap, see how it works. :shakehead

I know exactly how the salary cap works and this situation only further illustrates the colossal mess Ken Holland has created for himself by being unable to let go of washed up vets.

Losing Zetterberg is big. Losing Zetterberg while Datsyuk is already out, is huge. Now, there is no kid in the Wings' system that could replace either, let alone both, on the ice. However, being able to move young kids up and down in order to give some a spot chance to see what they have is much better for the future than the Wings' current situation.

Corey Emmerton is a nothing player. He's not an NHLer, period. He is just a warm body to throw into the lineup in case Bert can't go. That situation on it's own might not be a problem. But, when Samuelsson and Cleary are also useless players, capable of producing NOTHING, the Wings now have 3 players that just take up space. 4, if you count Weiss. That's a 3rd of the lineup that does nothing but allow Mike Babcock to write down names on the lineup card and pretend to ice a full roster.

Someone try to tell me that Emmerton, Cleary and Samuelsson is a better option than any combination of Eaves/Tootoo/Prospects. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad