Cory Conacher Appreciation Thread

melnyk budget*

I still dont understand how a bad team like the sens could waive a young player like conacher...

made no sense at the time, makes no sense now.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
He played the first 6 games with Turris and Mac and got 4 points.

Um, in his first 6 games he got 2 points. Both goals. He didn't get his 4th point of the season until 19 games in. Try again.

Yeah, his best production this year was with Zibanejad. Go figure, when Zibby went on a cold streak, Conacher's offense once again disappeared. Zibby has also shown ability on the wing with Spezza (not great, but I digress), whereas Conacher hasn't. Zibanejad is also about 3 years younger, and 6'1 to go along with his good speed. Zibby > Conacher any day of the week.

Paul MacLean's decisions have been baffling this year.The GSN line, Phillips and Cowen's usage, and Conacher getting countless opportunities to try and be a scorer, only to fail here.

As for St. Louis, just about everyone here knows Ottawa let him go. Guess what though, St. Louis has much better speed and vision. Lecavalier and him talking up Conacher? Sure, Conacher had a good run early on with Tampa, what else are they going to say when he was putting up points like that. How many of those comments came after his slump there started?

And hey, Ryan Shannon looked like a potential 2nd liner in 2008-09 in his 35 games with this team. 5'9, and good speed. Clouston talked him up a ton. Where is he now?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
there is a chance he didn't get along with the other players on the team. But that being said if I am the owner I am a little upset my GM gave a player that we paid a good price for to his nephew for nothing. Seems kinda fishy

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Go figure, prior to last night's 2 goals and an assist, Conacher had 2 points in 6 games with the Sabres. One great game and suddenly his fanclub here comes out in full force.

John Holmes*

Right, because nobody has been saying that it was a stupid move until last night... :rolleyes:

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Putting him on waivers might just of been a way to cut some salary......

Still not that much saved to be honest................

Sometimes I wonder what they are doing to be truthful ??????????

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Um, in his first 6 games he got 2 points. Both goals. He didn't get his 4th point of the season until 19 games in. Try again.

Yeah, his best production this year was with Zibanejad. Go figure, when Zibby went on a cold streak, Conacher's offense once again disappeared. Zibby has also shown ability on the wing with Spezza (not great, but I digress), whereas Conacher hasn't. Zibanejad is also about 3 years younger, and 6'1 to go along with his good speed. Zibby > Conacher any day of the week.

Paul MacLean's decisions have been baffling this year.The GSN line, Phillips and Cowen's usage, and Conacher getting countless opportunities to try and be a scorer, only to fail here.

As for St. Louis, just about everyone here knows Ottawa let him go. Guess what though, St. Louis has much better speed and vision. Lecavalier and him talking up Conacher? Sure, Conacher had a good run early on with Tampa, what else are they going to say when he was putting up points like that. How many of those comments came after his slump there started?

And hey, Ryan Shannon looked like a potential 2nd liner in 2008-09 in his 35 games with this team. 5'9, and good speed. Clouston talked him up a ton. Where is he now?

DO you read and think before you type ? I stated "my numbers maybe off" , and where did I say Conacher was better than Zibanejad ? :shakehead Dude I just don't care think what you will.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
DO you read and think before you type ? I stated "my numbers maybe off" , and where did I say Conacher was better than Zibanejad ? :shakehead Dude I just don't care think what you will.

The point I was making with Zibanejad was that he was the one really creating the offense when that line was hot. Conacher didn't really create much offense when he was here. Decent in terms of possession, but end of the day the guy has to put points on the board. He didn't, so he's gone.

Fair enough, you said your numbers might have been off. But 4 points in 6 games makes it seem like he was producing like a legitimate top 6 player, which he wasn't.

Ultimately, Conacher produced well for a relatively short stretch last year. And he got lots of chances here to be a scorer. We lost the Bishop trade, plain and simple. Time to move on.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
The point I was making with Zibanejad was that he was the one really creating the offense when that line was hot. Conacher didn't really create much offense when he was here. Decent in terms of possession, but end of the day the guy has to put points on the board. He didn't, so he's gone.

Fair enough, you said your numbers might have been off. But 4 points in 6 games makes it seem like he was producing like a legitimate top 6 player, which he wasn't.

Ultimately, Conacher produced well for a relatively short stretch last year. And he got lots of chances here to be a scorer. We lost the Bishop trade, plain and simple. Time to move on.

When the MICONABAD was together Conacher had the most points on the line during their tenure. So please check your facts. Secondly Conacher currently has 25 points in 67 games. He had a terrible streak of 1 point in 24 games and he was playing poorly during that time. If you take that stretch away he has 24 points in 43 games. He was one of our top plus players, he was near the top in possession numbers and he drew far more penalties than he took. AGAIN think what you want dude, if it makes you feel better that the team made the right call by giving him away for free, then good for you :help:

PS: Your right we did lose the Bishop trade because we gave away for FREE a young player with potential. Two time losers !!!!!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Putting him on waivers might just of been a way to cut some salary......

Still not that much saved to be honest................

Sometimes I wonder what they are doing to be truthful ??????????

I agree, I also think it was a money thing, they moved him out to make room for Hemsky plus to keep the roster number to 23 roster players. I don't mind, Hemsky has been so much better than Conacher in the lineup. Ottawa wasn't winning with Conacher either but at least Hemsky is putting up pts & seems to have helped snapp Spezza out of his funk.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
When the MICONABAD was together Conacher had the most points on the line during their tenure. So please check your facts. Secondly Conacher currently has 25 points in 67 games. He had a terrible streak of 1 point in 24 games and he was playing poorly during that time. If you take that stretch away he has 24 points in 43 games. He was one of our top plus players, he was near the top in possession numbers and he drew far more penalties than he took. AGAIN think what you want dude, if it makes you feel better that the team made the right call by giving him away for free, then good for you :help:

PS: Your right we did lose the Bishop trade because we gave away for FREE a young player with potential. Two time losers !!!!!

You take away any player's cold streaks, and they immediately look better. Have to take the good with the bad. Plus, how many top 6 forwards do you know who go on stretches of 1 point in 24 games?

Using +/- to indicate quality of play? Stick to more accurate possession numbers, please.

It's unfortunate it didn't work out for him here. But considering no teams were willing to trade a thing for him, he would have gotten an AHL salary if he cleared waivers, the move freed up a spot for another young player to get a chance, and he was going to be out of a contract after the season, the move made sense. The other option was what? Sitting him the rest of the year, which wouldn't help his value at all. Addition by subtraction. Dropping Conacher frees up not only a roster spot, but a contract space as well. Important considering he would have been an RFA nobody would trade for. I wish him well, but the fact is we lost the Bishop trade long before waiving Conacher.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
You take away any player's cold streaks, and they immediately look better. Have to take the good with the bad. Plus, how many top 6 forwards do you know who go on stretches of 1 point in 24 games?

Using +/- to indicate quality of play? Stick to more accurate possession numbers, please.

It's unfortunate it didn't work out for him here. But considering no teams were willing to trade a thing for him, he would have gotten an AHL salary if he cleared waivers, the move freed up a spot for another young player to get a chance, and he was going to be out of a contract after the season, the move made sense. The other option was what? Sitting him the rest of the year, which wouldn't help his value at all. Addition by subtraction. Dropping Conacher frees up not only a roster spot, but a contract space as well. Important considering he would have been an RFA nobody would trade for. I wish him well, but the fact is we lost the Bishop trade long before waiving Conacher.

If we are going that route with conacher than you can't justify keeping phillips, neil, greening, kassian, condra, and michalek at their salaries with their performances.

There is plenty of trash on this team not producing and maxed out. Was a terrible move by murray and the assessment he got from the coaching staff.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I heard at the time that maybe BM was doing Yzerman a favour, at some point in time maybe he returns the favour, let's hope so.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
If we are going that route with conacher than you can't justify keeping phillips, neil, greening, kassian, condra, and michalek at their salaries with their performances.

There is plenty of trash on this team not producing and maxed out. Was a terrible move by murray and the assessment he got from the coaching staff.

True, but those guys are all on one way contracts. So if they clear, they're still getting their full NHL salaries. Euge wouldn't be happy with that.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
waiving him so nefew timmy could pick him up might have something to do with a deal later on? like stewart? return favor/compensation on the dl kind of thing? anything is possible.

just strange that we waive him knowing that TM has first dibs and likes him. must be something else behind it other than BM being his usual uncle nice guy.

just wait till TM trades him for a super star prospect next yr:laugh:

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
True, but those guys are all on one way contracts. So if they clear, they're still getting their full NHL salaries. Euge wouldn't be happy with that.

I just hope conacher isn't the first causality of this team bleeding young talent.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

he played the majority of those 24 games playing two shifts with Spezza and then switching with greening and going on the Neil Smith line, as well as MacLeans famous attempt to make Neil a top line forward. BRILLIANT !!! By the way I never said Comacher was a top 6 forward, I have said from the beginning he should have been playing third line with Zibanejad all year. By the way how is the Kool Aid "nobody would trade for" you believe that for real !!! it was a gift to Tim from uncle Bryan. Also it was NEVER going to work out for Conacher here, it was obvious early on that MacLean preferred the likes of Greening, Condra, Ect, Ect. How long before you turn on Hoffman ? he's got like 4 points in 16 games playing top line minutes (until the last couple games) with the likes of Zibby, Ryan, Turris, and MacArthur, as well as BIG power play minutes. Oh wait you will just throw him under the bus when the team does and except what the company line is.:shakehead

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
waiving him so nefew timmy could pick him up might have something to do with a deal later on? like stewart? return favor/compensation on the dl kind of thing? anything is possible.

just strange that we waive him knowing that TM has first dibs and likes him. must be something else behind it other than BM being his usual uncle nice guy.

just wait till TM trades him for a super star prospect next yr:laugh:

lolz

In an interview with Murray after the deadline, he said Tim asked if Bryan wanted him to take Conacher off waivers. Sounded almost like a favour.

The quote: “Well Tim asked me if I wanted him to and I wasn’t against it by any means. I think for Cory’s sake, being able to stay in the league, he played college hockey in Buffalo."

Link here

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
he played the majority of those 24 games playing two shifts with Spezza and then switching with greening and going on the Neil Smith line, as well as MacLeans famous attempt to make Neil a top line forward. BRILLIANT !!! By the way I never said Comacher was a top 6 forward, I have said from the beginning he should have been playing third line with Zibanejad all year. By the way how is the Kool Aid "nobody would trade for" you believe that for real !!! it was a gift to Tim from uncle Bryan. Also it was NEVER going to work out for Conacher here, it was obvious early on that MacLean preferred the likes of Greening, Condra, Ect, Ect. How long before you turn on Hoffman ? he's got like 4 points in 16 games playing top line minutes (until the last couple games) with the likes of Zibby, Ryan, Turris, and MacArthur, as well as BIG power play minutes. Oh wait you will just throw him under the bus when the team does and except what the company line is.:shakehead

Again, MacLean gave Conacher lots of opportunities, and until the last 14 games, was giving him over 13 minutes a night pretty regularly. And out of it all, he had one decent stretch of scoring to show for it. I also recall a few times where MacLean cited Conacher in post-game interviews as one of the Sens' better players.

And I believe the statement about nobody wanting him because it's clear the team was trying to trade him, but to no avail. If they didn't want him here, then the best option would be to move him for an asset. What, do you think they waved him because they're just big meanies? As I referenced in a post above, from the exchange between Tim and Bryan, it sounds more like Tim took Conacher as a favour to Bryan, and to Conacher himself. I've never gotten the impression that they or MacLean disliked Conacher at all. It just didn't work out here, c'est la vie.

As for Hoffman, his speed, ability to use it at both ends of the ice, and puck control have been impressive. More so in each category than Conacher. But if come next year, he's still getting solid opportunities and not producing much, then I'd be in favour of the Sens trying to move him.

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Conacher may in fact generate a lot of offence with Buffalo playing a bunch of no pressure garbage games. Lots of guys show some spark in these kinds of games, then disappear again the following season. Let's see how much he's playing and scoring when and if Buffalo starts contending again. That will be the real test.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I heard at the time that maybe BM was doing Yzerman a favour, at some point in time maybe he returns the favour, let's hope so.

Haha yeah he's like the godfather. Doesn't trade for anything that's immediately tangible. Just future favors. Yzerman and tim Murray will be called upon soon

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sometimes guys just click with certain teams, linemates, and systems. He could've stayed here and been a pesky borderline NHLer for Ottawa for the next 5 years, or move on and become a legitimates NHLer for someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad