Cory Conacher Appreciation Thread

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
There is no way of knowing how many teams put in a claim for Cory, but from the moment Bryan waived him the likely destination was Buffalo.

Tim was instrumental in making the trade to bring Cory to Ottawa, so it was unlikely the $67000 waiver price would dissuade him from claiming CC.

While I liked Cory's speed and tenacity, the fact is this team doesn't lack speed from the forward group.

Let me help you with the claim #'s, it was 8. Buffalo, Pheonix, Vancouver, Anaheim, Los Angeles, NYI,, Winnepeg, Florida. (source prominent NHL agent). If it wasn't the trade deadline and teams weren't scrambling I beleve Ed Wood's 20 would have been about right.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
MacLean regularly gave Conacher ice time and opportunities alongside linemates who scored more consistently than he did. Especially early in the year when Conacher was regularly getting 13-15 minutes. Fact is, despite all this, Conacher couldn't score consistently. And with Hoffman, Stone, et al in Binghamton, Conacher was just blocking them from getting chances.

conacher-zibanejad-silfverberg was excellent

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
No it's not a big loss, but it's terrible asset management.

When no teams wanted to part with anything for him, what do you expect? Unless you mean trading Bishop for him in the first place, then I'd agree. Was not a fan of the trade then, even less so now. Asides from that tying goal against Montreal in game 4, Conacher has largely been a waste of space.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
When no teams wanted to part with anything for him, what do you expect? Unless you mean trading Bishop for him in the first place, then I'd agree. Was not a fan of the trade then, even less so now. Asides from that tying goal against Montreal in game 4, Conacher has largely been a waste of space.

Good thing he was so small.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
It's actually pretty simple to understand. If Maclean is not going to play him then what are you going to do. Maclean would prefer to play players like Greening, Smith, Neil and Condra over Conacher.......It's funny how Ted Nolan gives him over 15 minutes a game. This to me is not a Murray thing but a Maclean thing. I think Murray did Conacher a favour so that he could get more minutes elsewhere.

You sir win the prize :handclap: It is pretty hard to perform when you know you are NOT a player that the coach likes. (Ask MacArthur about Carlyle). This was Bryan Murray giving a kid a chance in a situation where he could thrive. When Tim Murray picked up Conacher on waivers he said " He's a good person, he cares, and his work ethic is second to none. We want Cory to help change the culture on the Buffalo Sabres". Ted Nolan has been equally enthusistic in his praise of Conacher. Getting rid of a young player like this in order to keep our "entitled veterans" is the problem with the Senators. From the highlites that I have seen he looks like "Tampa" Conacher again. I am glad he is going to a place that will appreciate him like the Tampa fans did, Five points in seven games a third star and a first star selection nice to see. That said it's time to move on with players that MacLean prefers, we need to see some of the young guys put some of our vets, on the unemployment line.:)

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
:)

:) Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. :)

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I'm not sure what you guys are alluding to? Conacher was given plenty of opportunity in the top 6.. To say he's thriving now because he's getting a chance is false.

He had his chances here. Many more than most of the young guys that play here.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
:)

:) Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. :)

There were good reasons to worry about the trade when it was made. Largely because Conacher's scoring on Tampa had gone so downhill after his hot start.

Sigh, players like Conacher are rare. They try so hard, accomplish so little, and yet get such unconditional love from some fans. All because they look like they're giving it their all. And because they "get in other players' faces." Sure, ignore the fact that he was so often brushed aside while trying to instigate, or killed a potential powerplay with his retaliation to getting knocked around. And of course, the lack of consistent scoring despite decent ice time and linemates. You seem to be in the camp that ignores the last part, and thinks he somehow got shafted all year long by MacLean.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The problem was not who he played with, it was how he was told to play. I'm pretty sure they were trying to mold him after Gallagher. He is not that. He can't be the one screening the goalie and trying to score the garbage goals. He should be flying on the wing and causing issues driving from the outside in.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The problem was not who he played with, it was how he was told to play. I'm pretty sure they were trying to mold him after Gallagher. He is not that. He can't be the one screening the goalie and trying to score the garbage goals. He should be flying on the wing and causing issues driving from the outside in.

I'm pretty sure this fan base was trying to mould him after Gallagher since the majority here constantly compared them not so sure about the coaching staff. The biggest difference in the two that I can see is that Gallagher was a more consistent point producer at the NHL level, other than that they were very similar. I don't think he was a good enough puck handler to be flying down the wing, he often bobbled passes. I think we have the better player in Hoffman now, Ottawa didn't & doesn't need Conacher.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
There were good reasons to worry about the trade when it was made. Largely because Conacher's scoring on Tampa had gone so downhill after his hot start.

Sigh, players like Conacher are rare. They try so hard, accomplish so little, and yet get such unconditional love from some fans. All because they look like they're giving it their all. And because they "get in other players' faces." Sure, ignore the fact that he was so often brushed aside while trying to instigate, or killed a potential powerplay with his retaliation to getting knocked around. And of course, the lack of consistent scoring despite decent ice time and linemates. You seem to be in the camp that ignores the last part, and thinks he somehow got shafted all year long by MacLean.

The "trade ?" that's a seperate conversation, and no **** Sherlock his scoring was going down because he is not good enough to keep up that pace ? As far as accomplishing "so little" it's nice to see all the other players on the team "accomplishing so much" :laugh: Not ignoring the fact he was brushed aside because of his size, that is a draw back to a small player, much lack lack of foot speed is a draw back to Stone. As far as decent ice time his average of just over 12 minutes is not what I call decent. His stint on the wing with Spezza at the beginning of the year when Spezza was stuggling mightily is not a plum assignment. How did Ryan do there ? How did MacArthur do there ? He didn't get shafted by MacLean, MacLean just prefers a different "type" of player. Hoffman has more PP time in his little time here than Conacher had all year. That is opportunity, and MacLean seems to prefer Hoffman's game over Conacher's, it's as simple as that.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
The "trade ?" that's a seperate conversation, and no **** Sherlock his scoring was going down because he is not good enough to keep up that pace ? As far as accomplishing "so little" it's nice to see all the other players on the team "accomplishing so much" :laugh: Not ignoring the fact he was brushed aside because of his size, that is a draw back to a small player, much lack lack of foot speed is a draw back to Stone. As far as decent ice time his average of just over 12 minutes is not what I call decent. His stint on the wing with Spezza at the beginning of the year when Spezza was stuggling mightily is not a plum assignment. How did Ryan do there ? How did MacArthur do there ? He didn't get shafted by MacLean, MacLean just prefers a different "type" of player. Hoffman has more PP time in his little time here than Conacher had all year. That is opportunity, and MacLean seems to prefer Hoffman's game over Conacher's, it's as simple as that.

He started the year on a line with Turris and MacArthur, pretty plum job right there. And despite his struggles in the first half of the season, Spezza was still putting up reasonable numbers. So where's Conacher's production there?

Look back on his game logs with Ottawa and you'll see it's only in his final 14 games here that his ice time really began to dwindle, bringing his average down a bit. Prior to that, Conacher getting over 13 mins a night was not uncommon. Not huge minutes, but that's still decent. And yet he couldn't produce better than a very mediocre third liner, no matter his linemates. Conacher did so little in terms of scoring with what he was given, yet it took MacLean 46 games of playing him to realize he couldn't produce. MacLean would also often list Conacher as one of the better players on the team early on in post-game interviews, despite Conacher not scoring, and doing little other than "getting in players' faces" and mouthing off at the refs. None of which helped the team.

Are there guys who have played worse this year? No question, but it's not like Conacher was doing enough to warrant being here other than "trying really hard." Got to have effort and brains to really make it in this league. The sad part is, if Conacher was 6'1 or taller, then yeah, he'd probably be an effective 2nd liner. But again, doesn't have the brains of a St. Louis for example to be effective with his size.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He started the year on a line with Turris and MacArthur, pretty plum job right there. And despite his struggles in the first half of the season, Spezza was still putting up reasonable numbers. So where's Conacher's production there?

Look back on his game logs with Ottawa and you'll see it's only in his final 14 games here that his ice time really began to dwindle, bringing his average down a bit. Prior to that, Conacher getting over 13 mins a night was not uncommon. Not huge minutes, but that's still decent. And yet he couldn't produce better than a very mediocre third liner, no matter his linemates. Conacher did so little in terms of scoring with what he was given, yet it took MacLean 46 games of playing him to realize he couldn't produce. MacLean would also often list Conacher as one of the better players on the team early on in post-game interviews, despite Conacher not scoring, and doing little other than "getting in players' faces" and mouthing off at the refs. None of which helped the team.

Are there guys who have played worse this year? No question, but it's not like Conacher was doing enough to warrant being here other than "trying really hard." Got to have effort and brains to really make it in this league. The sad part is, if Conacher was 6'1 or taller, then yeah, he'd probably be an effective 2nd liner. But again, doesn't have the brains of a St. Louis for example to be effective with his size.

Or maybe he was misused by PMac. Just like G-S-N is misused, or just like Phillips is misused, or how Spezza was put into situations in which he shouldn't be, etc.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Conacher has really worked well when paired with Ennis and Stafford. Hopefully when the Sabres are able to contend again that they can keep those three together as a good 3rd line with some 2nd unit pp action. Ever since Conacher arrived Stafford and Ennis have blown up. They have amazing chemistry. For a free waiver pick up, I love the Conacher move.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

He played the first 6 games with Turris and Mac and got 4 points. He had 1 point playing the next 24 games with Smith and Spezza, in his final 15 points in his final 28 games playing with mainly Zibby and DaCosta. (I may be a bit off with my numbers but not by much). I know you find it hard to believe but MacLean's judgement this year has been nothing short of bizarre. GSN his love for Phillips ect, ect, ect. I think you've been drinking the Kool Aid this ownership and mangement team have been serving ALL year. I prefer a team that shows up every night and gets playing time based on merit, not a team full of under acheiving veterans that get playing time based on some sort of weird "veteran status" thing. There is a reason why this team is in the shape it is :sarcasm: It is also very obvious that you haven't watched Conacher play much before and after his Ottawa stint. Check the internet and on there you will find St.Louis and Lacavalier commenting on Conachers ability to "think and see the game" at such an incredible speed. His problem in Ottawa is he just didn't fit into the mold of player that MacLean likes. PS: Martin St. Louis was released by this team before as well. Never under estimate the value of "heart and determination", you know the thing that the present day Sens lack.:)

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

What about when Conacher played with Zbad and Michalek? Everyone drooled over them when the played a couple of good games when they were first put together. Then the whole line went south and produced three total points and NO goals in 8 straight games. In that time Conacher averaged about 14 minutes a night including over 1:30 of PP time. That tells me the guy had his chances and didn't produce. Combine that with being too small to be an effective checker means he doesn't deserve a role on the Sens.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
What about when Conacher played with Zbad and Michalek? Everyone drooled over them when the played a couple of good games when they were first put together. Then the whole line went south and produced three total points and NO goals in 8 straight games. In that time Conacher averaged about 14 minutes a night including over 1:30 of PP time. That tells me the guy had his chances and didn't produce. Combine that with being too small to be an effective checker means he doesn't deserve a role on the Sens.

They put up 0 points in those games but dominated possession, and were plus players. How many games did Spezza go without an even strength goal and did he get shuffled to the forth line because of it ? The points would have come if they were left together, but unless your the GSN line (doesn't matter what they do they will stay together) then MacLean will change it. I am not here saying Conacher is any superstar I just think it is terrible how this fan base treated him. The best thing to happen to Conacher this year is to end up in Buffalo, and IMO both Tim and Bryan Murray know it as well.

PS: Doesn't deserve a role on the Sens, LMAO like playing for this owner is some sort of honor !!! I'm sure there are quite a few guys on this team that are counting the days until they can leave.

PSS: And who got those 3 points in those 8 scoreless games ????

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think it really all does come down asset management and the fact you let an asset walk for nothing that had shown he was an NHL player is poor asset management, no matter how you slice it.

Although not really relative it is a fact that we got him for Bishop so it is human nature to have that asset walk for nothing sting even more.

I really would have preferred they drop Kassian - guys like him are a dime a dozen - and then we could have kept a guy who at least might have proven to be worth something down the road. The trade deadline is the worst time to try and get something for scraps but even in the off season Murray might have had someone bite and give a pick or something.

This year has been odd all around beginning with letting Alfie walk - from there we have seen some other peculiar front office moves, coaching moves and regression on the ice.

Tough to be a fan this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad