Confirmed with Link: Corrado placed on waivers [Update - clears waivers]; Leafs claim Alexey Marchenko

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Need to see another game but am OK with this. He sure looks like he can pull duty

im not really bothered if marchenko is worse even, stick to the plan and that plan was very clearly to trade hunwick or polka or both at the deadline

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
im not really bothered if marchenko is worse even, stick to the plan and that plan was very clearly to trade hunwick or polka or both at the deadline

He isn't worse haha, don't worry! At his age with some adjustments and tweaks I think we just got our 3rd back for Babcock.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He isn't worse haha, don't worry! At his age with some adjustments and tweaks I think we just got our 3rd back for Babcock.

If they aren't good enough for us, we wouldn't get anything for them from a team looking to improve their playoff aspirations. Sort of like Corrado, placed on waivers nobody wanted him.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

So tn your opinion, this guy we got off waivers is better then polack, and polack is still worth a third to you?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So tn your opinion, this guy we got off waivers is better then polack, and polack is still worth a third to you?

In a snapshot. Yes he looked better. I think they were hoping to sneak him through not cut him loose. I also don't think they made a good call.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Marchenko looked extremely raw to me last night, I think he's one of those guys that can get a project for a long time and never get there.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marchenko looked extremely raw to me last night, I think he's one of those guys that can get a project for a long time and never get there.

He looked like he was playing with adrenaline and did well. Not sure it was raw. When he settles is when you can tell.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

What? At the very beginning of the game he looked a little out of place but as the game went on he settled in really nicely and made some very solid, intelligent plays.

I don't remember a single time he was hemmed in his own zone or was beat clean.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
If they aren't good enough for us, we wouldn't get anything for them from a team looking to improve their playoff aspirations. Sort of like Corrado, placed on waivers nobody wanted him.

Polak got two 2nds last year and Hainsey just got a 2nd.

Polak is one of those guys who is skilled at giving the illusion that he is somehow good, because he plays such a simplified, basic game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What? At the very beginning of the game he looked a little out of place but as the game went on he settled in really nicely and made some very solid, intelligent plays.

I don't remember a single time he was hemmed in his own zone or was beat clean.

You are right and he is mistaken IMHO.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

you know, the TDL frenzy is weird. People you could sign for a bucket of pucks earlier on all of a sudden have value.
Case in point? Winnik? Polak? sure you could name some more

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Polak got two 2nds last year and Hainsey just got a 2nd.

Polak is one of those guys who is skilled at giving the illusion that he is somehow good, because he plays such a simplified, basic game.

and he plays it damn poorly!!! but perhaps a bit better this year. Trade him for whatever we can get. And Hunwick. And Bozak.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
you know, the TDL frenzy is weird. People you could sign for a bucket of pucks earlier on all of a sudden have value.
Case in point? Winnik? Polak? sure you could name some more

I agree. Injuries, under/overachieving teams and players, more buyers than sellers...things can change in a hurry.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Marchenko is a solid piece. I really want to see him on the PK unit too when Carrick comes back. Scratch Polak and keep Marchenko in to replace his role and PK minutes.

I honestly think Marchenko fits in real well with Gardiner, that pair was our best last night.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Marchenko is a solid piece. I really want to see him on the PK unit too when Carrick comes back. Scratch Polak and keep Marchenko in to replace his role and PK minutes.

I honestly think Marchenko fits in real well with Gardiner, that pair was our best last night.

just trade him, if scratching is in the cards get what you can for him. We don't have a 3rd this year take it a run

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
He was a little out of the flow at the beginning but he settled in after a few shifts and played real solid , Gards wasn't too sure of him in the beginning either and still tried to play both slots like he would covering for Carrick but he started trusting him and passing to him . They will be a formidable pair when they get into sync with each other .

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Over the medium term, I'd like to see Marchenko and Corrado both get a shot at playing.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Polack is only hated around here because he sucked for the sharks in the playoffs last year. He's always been a good leaf in his role here.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Over the medium term, I'd like to see Marchenko and Corrado both get a shot at playing.

Marchenko certainly, but Frankie can stay in the AHL for the rest of the season. I very much doubt he has a future here, and if he by chance does, he should be there and gaining confidence.

Polack is only hated around here because he sucked for the sharks in the playoffs last year. He's always been a good leaf in his role here.

Well no. His advanced stats are dreadful and that has nothing to do with the Sharks. Watching him trying to clear a puck at 5v5 is horrifying. he either cant do it at all or he ices the puck.

I will give him credit for being an EXCELLENT penalty killer, but a lot of that is because he can just fire the puck out of the zone without worry of icing.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Well no. His advanced stats are dreadful and that has nothing to do with the Sharks. Watching him trying to clear a puck at 5v5 is horrifying. he either cant do it at all or he ices the puck.

I will give him credit for being an EXCELLENT penalty killer, but a lot of that is because he can just fire the puck out of the zone without worry of icing.

To be fair, they signed him to be a part timer. I don't think they planned for him to play this much.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm surprised they gave Marchenko number 3 less than a year after Dion Phaneuf was traded. Do they have no respect for legacy around here?

Just kidding, Phaneuf sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad