Confirmed with Link: Corrado placed on waivers [Update - clears waivers]; Leafs claim Alexey Marchenko

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I can't believe it. Did we pick up Marchenko for this to happen?

I bet Vancouver claims Corrado.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
So glad this is over. While I like Corrado he was never going to amount to much here and am glad he will get a new start somewhere else. I wonder if Vancouver bites.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I hope he goes somewhere he's actually allowed to play. Was this a case of coach thinking one thing and GM another? Good luck Frankie.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Marchenko COULD be okay. Corrado was never going to get a chance, so this is a good(?) thing for him.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I like the potential of this pick up.

Solid and mobile RHD that in the right system can be a useful middle pair type.

He has show the ability to make an outlet pass and good defensive reads.

If Babcock can sell him on just being a steady "shut down" guy and pair him with Gardiner, he could be what we were looking for!

I have faith that Babcock can make this guy into a 4/5 guy which would be a good match with Gardiner!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He's got decent underlying metrics over his career, good this year, and he fits the stylistic need that we have. It's a good gamble. Not sure how he is on PK, but if he can replace Polak there, we could go with:

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Marchenko
Marincin - Carrick

Marincin gets the puck mover as partner that he seems to need. Gardiner gets the risk minimizing player that can make an outlet pass that seem like a good fit for him. Carrick gets to move away from the Gardiner minutes, which might be good for him. And we keep our first pairing intact.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Corrado for Marchenko? Not a bad "trade".

Marchenko is far more valuable, and although he comes at a higher cap hit than Corrado, he allows us to move Polak without a major downgrade on the team.

Since he can move the puck, maybe he can play with Gardiner and finally let us move Carrick down to the third pairing where he belongs. Ideally neither are top 4, but Marchenko is better. Plus since he's not on his off side, they can't use the Marincin excuse (even though he's essentially a LHD version of Marchenko who can play RD).

Trade Hunwick, trade Polak.

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Marchenko
Marincin-Carrick
Loov/Corrado (if Corrado isn't claimed/traded).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Defensively Gardiner is very soft on the puck, so perhaps paired with Marchenko it will provide better balance to the 2nd pairing is the thought process here.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah I think this definitely one step closer to trading Polak at the deadline .. Softens the loss his the toughness/PK'ing

Hope Babs can turn Marchenko into a solid guy for the Leafs

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Glad the Corrado saga is over, that went on for far too long. I like that Marchenko meets requirements for the expansion draft, shows the foresight our front office has. I wonder how involved Pridham was in this acquisition?

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Wings have a bad defense, why would they drop Marchenko.

Babcock guy may screw us in the long run, could this be our Hyman of the defense?

Hopefully he's a good addition, I don't know much about him.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Happy for Corrado. Leafs screwed him around so badly. Sad for an organization like this to jerk him around.

Hopefully he gets a chance to play somewhere. Leafs just screwed him around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad