Confirmed with Link: Corrado placed on waivers [Update - clears waivers]; Leafs claim Alexey Marchenko

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Red Wings fan here. I love Marchenko.

Has a bit of a problem being everywhere his first shift, but settles down real nicely. Sound defensive guy. Nothing fancy. You don't notice him. He's big, and if he had better skating he'd be a really good defensive guy. He's not the best laterally. He's also been out of the line-up for over a month though so I'm glad to see him get some games. He'll beat some guys out of the line-up. With guys like Rielly and Gardiner rushing in the line-up, Marchenko is a good responsible guy to have.

He's not some crazy prospect. I don't think his upside is too high. He is what he is. Looking forward to seeing some updates on him throughout the season.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Polack is only hated around here because he sucked for the sharks in the playoffs last year. He's always been a good leaf in his role here.

In first two rounds Polack was very useful for Sharks. Boxing ppl out of the crease, killing penalties etc. He had ok games in later rounds too, but with better teams and higher speed he was a bit over his head and that to be expected from 3rd pairing guy. Chicago and Wings sometimes went with two pairs in playoff, playing 5-6 d only for short stretches.

Marchenko will probably struggle too playing against better teams lines with lot of speed and skill, but my hope is that he can hold his own against lower lines even on good teams.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Red Wings fan here. I love Marchenko.

Has a bit of a problem being everywhere his first shift, but settles down real nicely. Sound defensive guy. Nothing fancy. You don't notice him. He's big, and if he had better skating he'd be a really good defensive guy. He's not the best laterally. He's also been out of the line-up for over a month though so I'm glad to see him get some games. He'll beat some guys out of the line-up. With guys like Rielly and Gardiner rushing in the line-up, Marchenko is a good responsible guy to have.

He's not some crazy prospect. I don't think his upside is too high. He is what he is. Looking forward to seeing some updates on him throughout the season.

I think he looks solid, seems like a good player. I don't know if he will ever be some top4 obviously but he looks like a legit bottom pairing guy that could slide up the lineup for spot duty. Absolutely fine player and I have no idea why Detroit just got rid of him.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I think he looks solid, seems like a good player. I don't know if he will ever be some top4 obviously but he looks like a legit bottom pairing guy that could slide up the lineup for spot duty. Absolutely fine player and I have no idea why Detroit just got rid of him.

He got outplayed by Nick Jensen, and I guess they liked Ryan Sproul's potential as far as RHD go. He battled injuries all season though. He was the first one to make the show of the four and was really sound last season. Just injuries, and the emergence of others while keeping your vets for various reasons, like the rumoured value of Brendan Smith right now. It sucks. I don't think we're ever going to lose sleep over it but I think he can find a decent NHL career.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Has played solid positionally.
Isnt nearly as skilled as Carrick but think he makes for a better partner for Gardiner.
The added size he brings has also been a welcome addition.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
he's been okay so far but he looks like he has poor mobility and balance , hoping it's just rust

don't see him any better than Corrado tbh

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
he's been okay so far but he looks like he has poor mobility and balance , hoping it's just rust

don't see him any better than Corrado tbh

I've found Corrado to be a complete disaster every time he was in a game.

Marchenko has been steady for the most part, and I would expect things to get better. I find Marchenko to be a cleaner player than Carrick too, in the sense of less mistakes.

Last edited:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I haven't been too impressed. At the same time it may just be rust and getting used to a new team. So far he seemed a bit slow both skating and decision making. He made a few weak turnovers that ive noticed. He reminds me a bit of marincin but hopefully he can get more comfortable and play better, he does look pretty good positionally.

scooter87

Mar 22, 2013
Haven't really noticed him which can only be a good thing. Looks like a decent fit for Gardiner short term and a solid bottom guy longer term.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Young Polak IMO.

No offense but this is a pretty strange comparison, they really don't have much in common. Polak is physical but not a very good skater, he can move alright in a straight line but his lateral skating is not very good, while Marchenko is an average skater and doesn't have much trouble getting around. Polak relies on using his body to rub guys out or block shots, Marchenko is more reliant on his smarts and effective stick work. Polak has zero passing ability, while Marchenko's first pass is one of his best attributes. And when you look at possession numbers, Polak is horrible in that department while Marchenko does pretty well.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Missed this the other day...

Molson Canadian Leafs Nation Game Day: Alexey Marchenko - February 25, 2017

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
No offense but this is a pretty strange comparison, they really don't have much in common. Polak is physical but not a very good skater, he can move alright in a straight line but his lateral skating is not very good, while Marchenko is an average skater and doesn't have much trouble getting around. Polak relies on using his body to rub guys out or block shots, Marchenko is more reliant on his smarts and effective stick work. Polak has zero passing ability, while Marchenko's first pass is one of his best attributes. And when you look at possession numbers, Polak is horrible in that department while Marchenko does pretty well.

I've only watched Marchenko for 2 periods so I could be way off, but I did say "IMO", which that opinion may change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad