Coronavirus Thread - mod note post 23 & 541

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm referring to canned goods. Went to Fry's a week back. Canned aisle wiped clean save for diced tomatoes and sodium free foods. A very selective panic.
Man I haven't been able to find tomatoes since this started. Canned or otherwise. Tomatoes are so key.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Man I haven't been able to find tomatoes since this started. Canned or otherwise. Tomatoes are so key.
It seems that each chain has its day(s) of the week to refill on certain items. See if you can find notifications on social media or Pinterest/Groupon/etc for specific stores or items of need.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
how is everyone doing? The roads are empty out here in LA County. The job is off and on. Very busy one day, and completely dead the next. So not much has changed there lol. People have stopped lining up at 7 am for the grocery stores. They finally realize that the country has plenty of supplies and food. I guess most don't realize that the US has to donate a lot of food because we make too much of it. Now its just being hoarded though. Still hard to find TP and sanitizer though.

Reactions: Bench and Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
how is everyone doing? The roads are empty out here in LA County. The job is off and on. Very busy one day, and completely dead the next. So not much has changed there lol. People have stopped lining up at 7 am for the grocery stores. They finally realize that the country has plenty of supplies and food. I guess most don't realize that the US has to donate a lot of food because we make too much of it. Now its just being hoarded though. Still hard to find TP and sanitizer though.

Still going. Kids have destroyed my blood pressure. Pretty easy time getting groceries, though; a lot less crowded than normal. Ramen is still damn near impossible to find and I've been too lazy to make my own noodles. Sanitizer is something that just doesn't exist any more.

Have to admit, really happy I don't live anywhere near NYC right now.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The forums being down reminded me how much I rely on our little check-ins with our hockey community. I was grateful that if they crashed for an extended period, I have many of your guys e-mails from fantasy hockey.

Minnesota just enacted more measures to mitigate the virus. A "stay at home" order. It's not as strict as some states, but our Governor is working with data models from the University of Minnesota that shows there would be little difference. He was fairly candid that it's not IF our systems are taxed to their capacity, but WHEN. It's going to happen. He showed 2 charts, each one showing the exact same peaks just at different times. The goal is for our state to hit peak infection rates in 9 weeks rather than 5-6 weeks. By doing so, that gives us precious time to build more ICU beds and gather more supplies from local manufacturers. For Minnesota, having Medtronic, Honeywell, and 3M in our backyard is going to be a huge bonus.

So while it was reassuring to hear how the state I live in has a concrete plan in place and is moving rapidly to minimize mortality rates... it was fairly grim news in regards to how widespread the infection is gong to be, even after we reduce our person to person contact by 80%. And then thinking about areas with less resources or major metropolitan centers that are already experiencing overload - before it's even peaked... goodness.

My parents had the "where were you when JFK was shot" moment in their lives. Then we shared 9/11. I didn't expect the next moment to be a pandemic. I can imagine Winger98 and all the other parents telling their kids too young to remember about these events years from now.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
@Bench also got some news on the chicken sandwich front. Went to Lee's yesterday and it wasn't on their menu. It's on their website still, but apparently not at my Lee's anymore. They had a pulled chicken BBQ sandwich but I said to hell with it and went down the road to Chic-Fil-A, which only reinforced how I think Popeyes is much better.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
@Bench also got some news on the chicken sandwich front. Went to Lee's yesterday and it wasn't on their menu. It's on their website still, but apparently not at my Lee's anymore. They had a pulled chicken BBQ sandwich but I said to hell with it and went down the road to Chic-Fil-A, which only reinforced how I think Popeyes is much better.

Did you get the spicy variant? I normally can't handle spicy food, despite loving the flavor, but the Popeyes spicy chicken was juusssst right.

I haven't had any takeout in a few weeks other than a pizza delivered. I'm thinking this weekend I'll see what drive thrus I can hit for a chicken sandwich, because damn that sounds good.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

Not bad considering the Detroit area is a pretty hot zone right now. All the area hospitals are at or near capacity already. I'm still working at UM but in a reduced capacity. Seeing so little activity on campus feels like living post Thanos-snap. It's pretty creepy.

I'm just happy I can still go the parks. I have 2 lunatic border collies that need a lot of running room.

Glad the rest of you are holding up well.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not bad considering the Detroit area is a pretty hot zone right now. All the area hospitals are at or near capacity already. I'm still working at UM but in a reduced capacity. Seeing so little activity on campus feels like living post Thanos-snap. It's pretty creepy.

I'm just happy I can still go the parks. I have 2 lunatic border collies that need a lot of running room.

Glad the rest of you are holding up well.

It's a bit spooky the hospitals are nearing capacity and we're weeks away from the big spike. People not having access to treatment and the massive unemployment are my big worries here. It's not panic mode, but it's more like grinding teeth mode.

Glad you can get the dogs out! The one silver lining is the weather is only going to get better for those of us up north, so at least we can still go walking and hike and all that stuff. If you're the kind of person that likes to retreat to the cabin for fishing, boy oh boy, there's never been a more perfect time to hit the woods.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Did you get the spicy variant? I normally can't handle spicy food, despite loving the flavor, but the Popeyes spicy chicken was juusssst right.

I haven't had any takeout in a few weeks other than a pizza delivered. I'm thinking this weekend I'll see what drive thrus I can hit for a chicken sandwich, because damn that sounds good.

just the regular. I like spicy food but not hot food, if that makes sense. If you've had some good kimchi/korean food, that's my best comparison. My wife works in the Asian neighborhood of Cleveland and before all of this hit the fan we had been hoping to show the newborn off at her work and then grab some food at one of the local places. Something to do when things are back to normal.

This last Sunday we got takeout from the local Bob Evans knockoff. I grab some fast food if I had to go out for groceries or whatever, because I just don't want to hassle with putting something together when I get home. Got an email from Applebees today for 25cent boneless wings on orders over $20. Have to admit, I'm tempted to get supper for the rest of the family just so I can get several orders of boneless wings.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
About an hour north of Detroit, the shopping is slowly getting back to normal. It feels like I went to the store a dozen times and spent three months worth of grocery money to get all the things we need for a few weeks, but hopefully the 'food panic' is over.

Thankfully, nobody I know has tested positive. Scary to already hear the stories of local hospitals approaching saturation, but hopefully people stop flauting the stay at home decree, and things slowly turn for the better.

Also in the win column, I - the opposite of anything resembling a competent handyman - managed to replace the sump pump that died before the rain begins tonight. Hopefully everybody stays safe, healthy, and dry...and maybe the wet weather forces others to stay indoors where they belong.

Hunker down, Hockeytown...

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
About an hour north of Detroit, the shopping is slowly getting back to normal. It feels like I went to the store a dozen times and spent three months worth of grocery money to get all the things we need for a few weeks, but hopefully the 'food panic' is over.

Thankfully, nobody I know has tested positive. Scary to already hear the stories of local hospitals approaching saturation, but hopefully people stop flauting the stay at home decree, and things slowly turn for the better.

Also in the win column, I - the opposite of anything resembling a competent handyman - managed to replace the sump pump that died before the rain begins tonight. Hopefully everybody stays safe, healthy, and dry...and maybe the wet weather forces others to stay indoors where they belong.

Hunker down, Hockeytown...
For the first time Since the panic started I was able to nab chicken and ground beef from the grocery store this morning. Now if only I could find some toilet paper and hand sanitizer...

That's odd. The only produce I haven't seen stocked are bags of potatoes but even they were out today. Definitely no shortage of canned. You can probably order canned online if you really want em.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
For the first time Since the panic started I was able to nab chicken and ground beef from the grocery store this morning. Now if only I could find some toilet paper and hand sanitizer...

That's odd. The only produce I haven't seen stocked are bags of potatoes but even they were out today. Definitely no shortage of canned. You can probably order canned online if you really want em.
Since the panic has turned down from a boil to a simmer they've been around. Now the limit is largely with trying to avoid going to the store as much as possible.

Honestly I've always enjoyed cooking but limited supplies forcing creative substitutes and having to cook every meal has really taken it to the next level. Things like that fluffy Japanese cheesecake are so much easier than I'd have thought without being forced to make my own.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It's a bit spooky the hospitals are nearing capacity and we're weeks away from the big spike. People not having access to treatment and the massive unemployment are my big worries here. It's not panic mode, but it's more like grinding teeth mode.

Glad you can get the dogs out! The one silver lining is the weather is only going to get better for those of us up north, so at least we can still go walking and hike and all that stuff. If you're the kind of person that likes to retreat to the cabin for fishing, boy oh boy, there's never been a more perfect time to hit the woods.

"Better weather" is a relative term when you live in a Great Lake state:sarcasm: I remember coming home from an October trip to Duluth when I lived in Milwaukee and feeling like I travelled to the tropics. Regardless, everyone is out jogging in shorts amongst mountains of melting snow the first sunny 48 degree day where we live.

You're in a good situation in terms of being able to get some elbow room. The park system in Minnesota is one of the best I've seen in any state. If you get to the further reaches of Minnehaha Falls you almost feel like you're in the "up north" areas. Of course those large urban parks might be a bit busier with a lot of families being home these days.

Damned if you and Winger98 didn't have me craving a chicken sandwich earlier!

Reactions: Bench and Winger98

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
The forums being down reminded me how much I rely on our little check-ins with our hockey community. I was grateful that if they crashed for an extended period, I have many of your guys e-mails from fantasy hockey.

Minnesota just enacted more measures to mitigate the virus. A "stay at home" order. It's not as strict as some states, but our Governor is working with data models from the University of Minnesota that shows there would be little difference. He was fairly candid that it's not IF our systems are taxed to their capacity, but WHEN. It's going to happen. He showed 2 charts, each one showing the exact same peaks just at different times. The goal is for our state to hit peak infection rates in 9 weeks rather than 5-6 weeks. By doing so, that gives us precious time to build more ICU beds and gather more supplies from local manufacturers. For Minnesota, having Medtronic, Honeywell, and 3M in our backyard is going to be a huge bonus.

So while it was reassuring to hear how the state I live in has a concrete plan in place and is moving rapidly to minimize mortality rates... it was fairly grim news in regards to how widespread the infection is gong to be, even after we reduce our person to person contact by 80%. And then thinking about areas with less resources or major metropolitan centers that are already experiencing overload - before it's even peaked... goodness.

My parents had the "where were you when JFK was shot" moment in their lives. Then we shared 9/11. I didn't expect the next moment to be a pandemic. I can imagine Winger98 and all the other parents telling their kids too young to remember about these events years from now.

The wife and I moved back to MN from CO a month ago after we both lost our jobs (company went bankrupt). Lost our health insurance.

My sister’s baby is due in May. Don’t anticipate my parents will be able to make the trip back up here from FL now. I’m stressed out, I mean, everyone is.

Used to be more active on the boards before the Wings were cellar dwellers. I appreciate you folks though.

Love and good health to all.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The wife and I moved back to MN from CO a month ago after we both lost our jobs (company went bankrupt). Lost our health insurance.

My sister’s baby is due in May. Don’t anticipate my parents will be able to make the trip back up here from FL now. I’m stressed out, I mean, everyone is.

Used to be more active on the boards before the Wings were cellar dwellers. I appreciate you folks though.

Congrats on soon to be an Uncle!

Good luck on the employment/health front. Especially the health front.

And remember you're not alone in this. We might disagree who to pick third in the draft, but I think all of us are pulling for each other to get through this.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
This has been a surreal time. It was a madhouse at work. Killed it on overtime. Things are starting to normalize and hundreds have shifted to working from home. I'll be home starting Monday. No sanitary products to be found but I have enough toilet paper to last a long time. Over multiple stops and runs I built up a supply of canned goods. Can probably last 2-3 weeks before I have to venture out for anything.

I am thankful that Chiclets is running strong. When the forum went down I was like "shit is getting real". Bummed that my trip to watch The Battle of Alberta was derailed. Was supposed to go down next weekend. Credits for Air Canada and StubHub will get me there one day but this still sucks.

Family member tested negative for COVID-19 but someone else I know tested positive. He's in quarantine and doing okay but it's stressful for his children.

Not looking forward to working from home. I live in a studio and don't get out much as is. I'll go nuts at some point. My go-to record and book stores are closed. Luckily, I have enough books to last.

This shit will pass but, damn, it's already getting old.

Wash the hands. Stay safe.

Reactions: Winger98 and Bench

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I am still sane after two weeks of work from home with 2 kids around. I went lazy parent yesterday and let them be on screens all day. Also bought them some new scooters so hopefully they will be happy to go outside more next week instead. Had to tell the neighbors to keep their kids away from mine. They don't know about personal space. It is more for them as it is for my kids since my wife manages a nursing unit at a hospital and has more potential exposure.

My little one gets it. He wanted to play basketball but our hoop doesn't adjust and I didn't want to send him to the neighbors so we went to the elementary because they have a short hoop. He saw kids 200 yards away on playground equipment and told me we have to go home. I convinced him it was ok and we could shoot hoops. We did that until some other kids showed up and started shooting at another hoop 100 feet away. He insisted they were to close and we had to leave immediately. So we did. Got maybe 5 minutes of hoops in poor kid.

Since my wife is a front line worker she went to the special time at Meijer and said it wasn't too busy. Still can't find lentils! Fortunately one of her nurses saw some at their grocery store and picked them up for us. And plant milks are destroyed at our Meijer. No oat milk and I don't have the right kind of oats to make it.

Also considering buying an Xbox and NHL 20 so I can at least get some kind of hockey back in my life. Dang Switch doesn't have an NHL game.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Congrats on soon to be an Uncle!

Good luck on the employment/health front. Especially the health front.

And remember you're not alone in this. We might disagree who to pick third in the draft, but I think all of us are pulling for each other to get through this.
That is an issue for the team that's picking third. We're picking first, though :naughty:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

We're here for ya, bud.

This shit sucks a lot. I've been fortunate enough to be able to work exclusively from home which has been nice. One perk of local government? You're pretty dang stable if they deem you essential. Check out awood40s Wings videos for the hockey fix. Before it was just a cool thing that a guy did, but man, those are a lifeline to the hockey world on Youtube.

We will get through this, no matter how sideways it gets. Spanish Flu did this same kind of thing when humans still thought that diseases were caused by miasma in the air and we had no steady treatments for any of it. The world has made it through some really really ****ed pandemics. Praying for ya, my man.

Reactions: Pizzarena
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad