News Article: Coronavirus Part 3: Social Distance Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
With authorities saying don't come in and get tested unless you have severe complications, to not having testing kits, or even refusing to test for various reasons, this death rate might actually be comical. It's just the rate at which it spreads is the underlying problem.

Boy are people going to change their ways in the coming months and years. Anytime a person gets a cold or flu, even if mild, it will be self-isolate no matter what. Even if it's not SARS-2. There will be added pressure from the populus to get the "bleep" home and not go to work, school, keep your kids out of daycare, etc. So many of us are guilty of this.

I think this will change things.
That would be great. It's terrible how a lot of companies expect you to tough it out and work through illness.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So a bunch of people in California are upset because the Guv does not believe gun shops are essential business and closed them.

Pretty sure we are going to see the movie The Purge come to life shortly

**edit** sorry he deferred to local law enforcement and they made the decision

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
The rest of the world maybe pissed at the US when this is all said and done but if you think that they will all just jump into bed with China when this is over then I don't know what to say, China has single handily f*cked every country on Earth the way that this came about and their lying about it since. So who does the rest of the world "run to"? Russia? Trump may of may not be in office for4 more years, beyond that things can change.
The west sold out to China. China quickly turned into a superpower with the massive influx of manufacturing. It was clearly a mistake to help turn China into an economic juggernaut. The United States might end up looking like Mr Roger's compared to China at the end of the day. China is the high end technological surveillance state straight out of science fiction. They have the ability to contain viruses but also the ability to contain ideas. They will export this technology abroad to other dictatorships. As of now we are dependent on China. Most drugs are even manufactured there. Getting tough on them means risking your citizens health and livelihood. We're hooped. Supply chains must be changed and manufacturing must come back to North America or to other healthy democracies. Companies bottom lines and stock prices aren't worth being Chinas bitch.
Sadly China is here to stay as a superpower. The way to punish them is to gradually give them less and less business. A slow detachment. China being a pain in the ass is just getting started. The less we rely on them the better.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It's probably the reason why ~1-3% seem to die from this, but also probably the reason why a percentage is completely immune or asymptomatic from it.

That is me when it comes to flu bugs. My wife gets flattened by them. I still sleep in the same bed and at the very most I'll get a case of the chills, feel rundown and a localized area of my right thigh just above the knee gets achy. The next day, back to my old self-not a sniff of a symptom.

Same with stomach bugs. I think I've had two stomach flus my entire life. With my two kids, I've been barfed on, including in my face. I didn't even get so much as a case of light nausea. My wife on the other hand...she basically becomes a zombie for a few days.

It's a blessing but also a curse because I know I'm very likely an asymptomatic carrier. I still get colds though, but not for very or very severe...I know this virus isn't a simple cold, it's a complete f*** over of your respiratory system so if I wind up catching it down the road, I have no idea how it will affect me.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Personally I'm still watching the Diamond Princess situation to get an estimation of overall mortality rate... that's a contained situation plus it's been ongoing for 2 months now and there are still several serious/critical cases.

11 deaths from 712 cases... ~1.5% which is likely the best estimate we can get for how deadly the virus is in a wider worldwide population.

In countries with a higher death rate than ~1.5%, there is likely to be MANY more cases which would pull that death rate closer to ~1.5%... and in other countries where the death rate is less that ~1.5%, I'd suspect that either some deaths weren't/aren't being counted as Covid-19 deaths and/or the death rate is still on the rise as critical/ICU cases could still lead to more deaths and a rise in the actual mortality rates in those nations.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,118,202 Cases and 59,220 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

According to the stats there's been a reported 1,118,059 cases worldwide and 59,206 deaths... which gives a mortality rate of ~5.3%

If we assume ~1.5% is the "real" mortality rate then we can assume the REAL case count is likely much higher as well.

5.3/1.5 = 3.53

From those stats above we can roughly estimate that there are probably ~3.53 times as many cases as have actually been reported... (many mild and uncounted cases across the world because of lack of systematic testing).

If that's the case the "truer" estimate for the number of cases across the globe is likely ~3.95 million instead of the 1.12 million currently reported.

If that's true (and of course that's all calculated on the basis of some assumptions and rough estimates as well)... the good news is that the mortality rate is lower overall than we think it is currently... but also the bad news is the rate of proliferation of the virus is likely MUCH higher as well than we think it is currently.

(I also realize that it's still a rough overall estimate as different countries have slightly different and sometimes very different average/median ages for their populations which could/would affect the results above as well.)

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Oh I am just joking. I used to own one about 30 years ago for going down to the Devon rifle range down by the river to target shoot before Mrs Badger came along, but Mrs Badger does not like guns so I sold it and bought a Macintosh.

So you go back to FAC days eh? Wife and I got ours in the 90's.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
3M and their subsidies have factories all over the world which supply many countries--countries may have no choice but to nationalise the factories in their countries

so it is not about being first to the trough--the US went outside their borders to get the trough that was heading to another country and this will become a bigger issue in the forth coming days as the numbers rise

An example of what the US could do based upon what they did. The German based company Siemens healthliners I think is he 8th largest producer of medical equipment, due to mergers and cross agreements they are now something like 30% .owned by US backers--what is stopping the US from walking into their factors and taking medical stuff?

It a globalisation economy where companies have diversified and invested in businesses around the world and where if you look though ownership of businesses you will see part American ownership and using the law they used yesterday, that will allow the US to go into any country and do what they did again.

And that will be interesting to see what happens as the body count in the States goes up and panic sets in

The US has reportedly (according to WSJ) ordered 300 million masks--is the US now going to seize products from all factories that are partly owned by US companies. Like I said earlier, that Chinese factory was Chinese owned and is a subsidiary of 3M--this is done to reduce their tax burden. I know it is splitting hairs but most companies that produce the masks needed are in the far east due to cheap labout and are subsidiaries and not directly owned (at least on paper) but the larger companies.

Let me put it another way

Have you heard of Honeywell? they are GlaxoSmithKline and they have several factories here in the UK and around Europe. They are I believe still owned by the US mothership , what is stopping the US from now coming in and taking all the products from those factories and warehouses? Based upon what happened in Thailand? nothing

Exactly, they are 1st at the trough but only for American based companies regardless of where they are based. Am I saying that it's great? No, it is potentially a great thing for the people of the US that clearly are in massive need right now. However when our supplies ever do catch up the US needs to help other countries and not just say "we're good now, so you do you".

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
The virus could be just the start to some very bad things to come. Think N95 mask hording by governments is bad. Wait till food hording by nations if widespread global starvation ends up happening.

Explainer: How the coronavirus crisis is affecting food supply

Seen how in China some ppl are buying 100's of pounds of rice and mentioned one individual purchase 50 barrels of cooking oil. I bet food hording right now in China is twice as bad as TP hording around the world happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The west sold out to China. China quickly turned into a superpower with the massive influx of manufacturing. It was clearly a mistake to help turn China into an economic juggernaut. The United States might end up looking like Mr Roger's compared to China at the end of the day. China is the high end technological surveillance state straight out of science fiction. They have the ability to contain viruses but also the ability to contain ideas. They will export this technology abroad to other dictatorships. As of now we are dependent on China. Most drugs are even manufactured there. Getting tough on them means risking your citizens health and livelihood. We're hooped. Supply chains must be changed and manufacturing must come back to North America or to other healthy democracies. Companies bottom lines and stock prices aren't worth being Chinas bitch.
Sadly China is here to stay as a superpower. The way to punish them is to gradually give them less and less business. A slow detachment. China being a pain in the ass is just getting started. The less we rely on them the better.

100% agree. It will take time but countries need to at bare minimum keep the manufacturing of the most important things within their own countries. As always people have put $ over people and it needs to stop.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
100% agree. It will take time but countries need to at bare minimum keep the manufacturing of the most important things within their own countries. As always people have put $ over people and it needs to stop.
Would be nice but it's not going to happen.

Greed will never die

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Ok, so if there is no government, can I just come and take your stuff and raid your business? Because I bet you $1000 me and the people I work with are better with a firearm than 95% of the population.

Some Southern Italians are planning on raiding businesses now. The Italians are talking of sending in more troops and hopefully some money before they open things back up in the South. It's the poor who need to be quelled. No issues in the rich North.

Italy coronavirus: As north ravaged by pandemic, there's trouble brewing down south - CNN

From the article:

"20 people filled their carts at a Lidl supermarket in Palermo on the island of Sicily, and refused to pay."

Col. Michele Monti responded to the call and told CNN that while he viewed it as an "isolated incident" the message was clear.
"If this situation continues without the help of the government, we won't be able to feed our children," he said. "It was a message that they wanted to be understood."

The incident ended peacefully...they calmly left without the food," Monti told CNN"

/End

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
How long did it take to get a firearms license? I know one must take a couple of courses first. Processing time?
To get your PAL you need to take the firearms safety course first. If you don't have the money for the course you can offer to volunteer and go to a free one. Then you have to apply for your PAL and that can be a fairly long wait. The RCMP are a busy bunch. If you start the process now you might get one by mid-summer/early fall. Then you need a hunting licence for perhaps a deer or put your name in to a draw if you want to eat something like a moose. Wild game is very healthy. A lean meat.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Bodies left in streets as COVID-19 overwhelms Ecuador

El drama de Guayaquil, que tiene más muertos por coronavirus que países enteros y lucha a contrarreloj para darles un entierro digno

"Los números se quedan cortos": el gobierno de Ecuador admite que la crisis del coronavirus es más grave de lo informado

(Use translate feature in Chrome for those that don't speak Spanish).

If these numbers of Covid-19 victims in the above story are true... ie ~400 instead of the ~145 reported here: Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,127,528 Cases and 59,949 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer ... and again using an "assumed worldwide" average mortality rate of rate of ~1.5%... there could be many multiples of actual Covid-19 infections.

400/1.5% =26,000+ possible cases instead of an official count of ~3368 cases.

In countries with likely much lower levels of testing capabilities... there's likely little doubt that the level of cases are likely much higher... with mild/asymptomatic cases likely far beyond officially reported numbers.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
The US currently has more cases than anyone with the possible exception of China. The situation here you could say is more dire than just about anywhere else currently. People might not like the situation with the masks but it is understandable given the circumstances. France was said to have snaked masks as well.

People can look at China's "good deeds" and make of them what they will. Tests that weren't worth a damn, defective masks, etc. and it should be noted that it likely wasn't done out of good will but more along the lines of "I screwed up, let me try and make it right before you guys decide to move your businesses elsewhere".

Honestly the US would be better off if they had been producing their own medical equipment, drugs, PPE, etc. If anything this should be showing countries like the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, etc. to better choose who they align and do business with. AKA buy quality products from trusted countries, not countries like China.
The truth of the matter is the numbers we see on the news and on the internet are those who tested positive. That likely has little correlation to how many cases there are out there. People are being refused testing and are told to go home and wait it out. And that’s in Canada. It probably only gets worse from there when you look at places that aren’t as well off. The world was not prepared for this and even still to this day governments locally and around the world are putting dollars ahead of people’s lives.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The truth of the matter is the numbers we see on the news and on the internet are those who tested positive. That likely has little correlation to how many cases there are out there. People are being refused testing and are told to go home and wait it out. And that’s in Canada. It probably only gets worse from there when you look at places that aren’t as well off. The world was not prepared for this and even still to this day governments locally and around the world are putting dollars ahead of people’s lives.

#facts

who manipulates stats more? The government or the hockey advanced stats people?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Exactly, they are 1st at the trough but only for American based companies regardless of where they are based. Am I saying that it's great? No, it is potentially a great thing for the people of the US that clearly are in massive need right now. However when our supplies ever do catch up the US needs to help other countries and not just say "we're good now, so you do you".

But they are only partly owned by US companies and that is the problem

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Bodies left in streets as COVID-19 overwhelms Ecuador

El drama de Guayaquil, que tiene más muertos por coronavirus que países enteros y lucha a contrarreloj para darles un entierro digno

"Los números se quedan cortos": el gobierno de Ecuador admite que la crisis del coronavirus es más grave de lo informado

(Use translate feature in Chrome for those that don't speak Spanish).

If these numbers of Covid-19 victims in the above story are true... ie ~400 instead of the ~145 reported here: Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,127,528 Cases and 59,949 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer ... and again using an "assumed worldwide" average mortality rate of rate of ~1.5%... there could be many multiples of actual Covid-19 infections.

400/1.5% =26,000+ possible cases instead of an official count of ~3368 cases.

In countries with likely much lower levels of testing capabilities... there's likely little doubt that the level of cases are likely much higher... with mild/asymptomatic cases likely far beyond officially reported numbers.
I don’t think using a sample size of 700 to determine the death rate of the covid 19 globally is all that accurate.

we see the death rate reported much higher in countries who’s health systems are overwhelmed.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Sammy is a beaut. Been a Red Wing for all of 10 seconds. Hopefully he comes back to the Oilers next year on a minimum salary, he’s a good soldier.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad