News Article: Coronavirus Part 3: Social Distance Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The US rate of infection at the present 108% daily increase will hit a million people total cases in 2 weeks. Death rates are increasing as a percentage of total cases by about .2 per day the past 9 days. It is not looking good.

Death Rate %
1.52%
1.63%
1.80%
1.80%
1.92%
2.15%
2.37%
2.48%
2.67%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

When this is all said and done it'll be interesting what the mortality rate will be worldwide. I wonder what the death rate would be in an instance where the medical facilities weren't taxed so heavily vs. how they are now.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The rest of the world maybe pissed at the US when this is all said and done but if you think that they will all just jump into bed with China when this is over then I don't know what to say, China has single handily f*cked every country on Earth the way that this came about and their lying about it since. So who does the rest of the world "run to"? Russia? Trump may of may not be in office for4 more years, beyond that things can change.

Part of the problem is the US has been leaving its place of global influence under the current administration and becoming more isolationist and America first. That leaves a vacuum and dozens of countries have aligned with China in their massive Silk Road infrastructure initiative, including now some NATO countries one of which is Italy.

China is now trying to deflect blame of how they dropped the ball by being the global "saviour" and donating and delivering millions of PPE and other medical aid to countries in need, and Russia just donated an entire AN-124 cargo plane (like a 747) of masks to the USA, and they are also filling this void, while the USA is commandeering supplies from other countries.

What the fallout will be towards China who knows. But the die is cast with where the US administration is going, a new one will have much damage to repair. But I think the world is a better place with the US as the worlds humanitarian and ethical lead, not China.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
When this is all said and done it'll be interesting what the mortality rate will be worldwide. I wonder what the death rate would be in an instance where the medical facilities weren't taxed so heavily vs. how they are now.

That is the scary thing, in Italy is running at over 12%, France in excess of 10% and Spain the death rates are nearly 10%, both places the medical system became swamped. We are seeing that happen in now in the UK as well as they are running mortality rates at 9.5%. Canada is at 1.7% and Germany is at 1.4%. The USA is at 2.7% and climbing.

So once a system becomes saturated the mortality rate soars from the 1.5% to 10% almost instantly. That is the danger point in the USA and Canada (and the planet for that matter).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Part of the problem is the US has been leaving its place of global influence under the current administration and becoming more isolationist and America first. That leaves a vacuum and dozens of countries have aligned with China in their massive Silk Road infrastructure initiative, including now some NATO countries one of which is Italy.

China is now trying to deflect blame of how they dropped the ball by being the global "saviour" and donating and delivering millions of PPE and other medical aid to countries in need, and Russia just donated an entire AN-124 cargo plane (like a 747) of masks to the USA, and they are also filling this void, while the USA is commandeering supplies from other countries.

What the fallout will be towards China who knows. But the die is cast with where the US administration is going, a new one will have much damage to repair. But I think the world is a better place with the US as the worlds humanitarian and ethical lead, not China.

The US currently has more cases than anyone with the possible exception of China. The situation here you could say is more dire than just about anywhere else currently. People might not like the situation with the masks but it is understandable given the circumstances. France was said to have snaked masks as well.

People can look at China's "good deeds" and make of them what they will. Tests that weren't worth a damn, defective masks, etc. and it should be noted that it likely wasn't done out of good will but more along the lines of "I screwed up, let me try and make it right before you guys decide to move your businesses elsewhere".

Honestly the US would be better off if they had been producing their own medical equipment, drugs, PPE, etc. If anything this should be showing countries like the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, etc. to better choose who they align and do business with. AKA buy quality products from trusted countries, not countries like China.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Basically over 90% of all medical equipment can be traced to US owned companies and they now have made it clear uf they want it they will take

Yes. That is why I think we will see an absolute paradigm shift in the future manufacture of PPE, medical equipment and other "strategic" supply chains a country deems of national priority and importance. Governments may even nationalize or start their own companies to avoid situations like this in the future.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The US currently has more cases than anyone with the possible exception of China. The situation here you could say is more dire than just about anywhere else currently. People might not like the situation with the masks but it is understandable given the circumstances. France was said to have snaked masks as well.

People can look at China's "good deeds" and make of them what they will. Tests that weren't worth a damn, defective masks, etc. and it should be noted that it likely wasn't done out of good will but more along the lines of "I screwed up, let me try and make it right before you guys decide to move your businesses elsewhere".

Honestly the US would be better off if they had been producing their own medical equipment, drugs, PPE, etc. If anything this should be showing countries like the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, etc. to better choose who they align and do business with. AKA buy quality products from trusted countries, not countries like China.

I totally agree.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Basically over 90% of all medical equipment can be traced to US owned companies and they now have made it clear uf they want it they will take

Basically it is the US saying that they will be the first at the trough and that they will get their fill first. Other countries need to be doing their parts to manufacture and the US needs to up their games as well.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes. That is why I think we will see an absolute paradigm shift in the future manufacture of PPE, medical equipment and other "strategic" supply chains a country deems of national priority and importance. Governments may even nationalize or start their own companies to avoid situations like this in the future.

Agreed, needless to say that each countries stockpiles need to be a hell of a lot bigger as well.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Any word on that woman in her 20's who passed away in Edmonton? If she was completely healthy...yikes. RIP.

No, nothing so far at all I've seen.
These young deaths make me wonder if there was something undiagnosed as they perhaps appeared healthy to everyone around them (ate right, exercised, etc.) but they maybe grew up in a house where both parents smoked, and their lungs, unbeknownst to everyone, weren't in very good shape. Or perhaps they became smokers themselves?

I'm not picking on the smokers...just thinking out loud how someone so young can pass from complications from this virus without an underlying condition somewhere.

Reactions: Cloned

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
When all is said and done, are we going to realize how lucky we were this didn't have the death rate of SARS-1 (14-15%) and still have the ability to spread as easily as this one does.
Estimates of SARS death rates revised upward
Do the math on a infection rate of 30-70% of the world's population, then calculate the 14-15% death rate. And that's before taking into consideration overwhelming healthcare infrastructure worldwide.

The ignorance of the CCP has no ceiling for what they've unleashed, or what could have been even far far worse than what we are going through.

SARS-2 (aka COVID-19 for some stupid :facepalm:politically correct reason) is 80% similar to SARS-1.

Ffs :doh: and I keep hearing about how "image" is so important to that regime. Keep praising the CCP, WHO, on how well they contained the virus.

In other news we hit another milestone today. 1,000,000 confirmed cases outside of China.

Who is the WHO?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
These young deaths make me wonder if there was something undiagnosed or they perhaps appeared healthy to everyone around them (ate right, exercised, etc.) but they maybe grew up in a house where both parents smoked, and their lungs, unbeknownst to everyone, weren't in very good shape. Or perhaps they became smokers themselves?

I'm not picking on the smokers...just thinking out loud how someone so young can pass from complications from this virus without an underlying condition somewhere.

Medically speaking, there are a lot of possibilities. And a lot we just don't know at this stage - not only talking about the virus, but science/medicine in general. We aren't as knowledgeable about the universe as we like to think we are. We've just barely begun recognizing genomics as a factor in disease survival.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
These young deaths make me wonder if there was something undiagnosed or they perhaps appeared healthy to everyone around them (ate right, exercised, etc.) but they maybe grew up in a house where both parents smoked, and their lungs, unbeknownst to everyone, weren't in very good shape. Or perhaps they became smokers themselves?

A possibility would be like the Spanish Flu where the individuals body continues fighting the disease even though the disease is really been defeated. The buildup of puss and mucus in the lungs makes it impossible to breath killing the individual.

So in essence someone can be perfectly healthy, have a excellent immune system but still die because there body won't stop fighting. Which is why the Spanish flu took so many young men's lives.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Medically speaking, there are a lot of possibilities. And a lot we just don't know at this stage - not only talking about the virus, but science/medicine in general. We aren't as knowledgeable about the universe as we like to think we are. We've just barely begun recognizing genomics as a factor in disease survival.

The fact that our race has no immunity to it whatsoever has to play a big part in this. I also agree that humans as a whole aren't as smart as we like to think we are, there is so much on our planet that we don't have a clue about let alone beyond our world.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A possibility would be like the Spanish Flu where the individuals body continues fighting the disease even though the disease is really been defeated. The buildup of puss and mucus in the lungs makes it impossible to breath killing the individual.

So in essence someone can be perfectly healthy, have a excellent immune system but still die because there body won't stop fighting. Which is why the Spanish flu took so many young men's lives.

The fact that our race has no immunity to it whatsoever has to play a big part in this. I also agree that humans as a whole aren't as smart as we like to think we are, there is so much on our planet that we don't have a clue about let alone beyond our world.

Yeah, there are a lot of questions we don't know the answers to.

My educated guess on most questions about "why does somebody die from this but the other person survives?" is genotypic and/or phenotypic variations between individuals. Very small differences in genetic coding that we don't even know about yet.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Agreed on both posts.

All I can surmise is everyone's genetic code is different, thus maybe plays a role in how the body reacts or overreacts to viral invaders.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Agreed on both posts.

All I can surmise is everyone's genetic code is different, thus maybe plays a role in how the body reacts or overreacts to viral invaders.

It's probably the reason why ~1-3% seem to die from this, but also probably the reason why a percentage is completely immune or asymptomatic from it.

Reactions: McFuhryous

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Those countries are claiming products produced and made in that country as being needed in the country of origin
While not all the cases I’ve read about in the news are as clear cut as you suggest, I do understand the distinction you are trying to make. I wish you had been so clear in your original post on the subject. But thank you for clarifying.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Basically it is the US saying that they will be the first at the trough and that they will get their fill first. Other countries need to be doing their parts to manufacture and the US needs to up their games as well.

3M and their subsidies have factories all over the world which supply many countries--countries may have no choice but to nationalise the factories in their countries

so it is not about being first to the trough--the US went outside their borders to get the trough that was heading to another country and this will become a bigger issue in the forth coming days as the numbers rise

An example of what the US could do based upon what they did. The German based company Siemens healthliners I think is he 8th largest producer of medical equipment, due to mergers and cross agreements they are now something like 30% .owned by US backers--what is stopping the US from walking into their factors and taking medical stuff?

It a globalisation economy where companies have diversified and invested in businesses around the world and where if you look though ownership of businesses you will see part American ownership and using the law they used yesterday, that will allow the US to go into any country and do what they did again.

And that will be interesting to see what happens as the body count in the States goes up and panic sets in

The US has reportedly (according to WSJ) ordered 300 million masks--is the US now going to seize products from all factories that are partly owned by US companies. Like I said earlier, that Chinese factory was Chinese owned and is a subsidiary of 3M--this is done to reduce their tax burden. I know it is splitting hairs but most companies that produce the masks needed are in the far east due to cheap labout and are subsidiaries and not directly owned (at least on paper) but the larger companies.

Let me put it another way

Have you heard of Honeywell? they are GlaxoSmithKline and they have several factories here in the UK and around Europe. They are I believe still owned by the US mothership , what is stopping the US from now coming in and taking all the products from those factories and warehouses? Based upon what happened in Thailand? nothing

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Its also the wests fault for pandering to populist horseshit

It sounded like a f***ing dumb idea and "tada" ...it was...
we basically spent years undermining science and data because we didnt want to slow down and now we are probably going to blame doctors and WHO for being ineffective......(which was exactly what we wanted them to be).

It...was....a f***ing dumb idea....

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
It's probably the reason why ~1-3% seem to die from this, but also probably the reason why a percentage is completely immune or asymptomatic from it.
With authorities saying don't come in and get tested unless you have severe complications, to not having testing kits, or even refusing to test for various reasons, this death rate might actually be comical. It's just the rate at which it spreads is the underlying problem.

Boy are people going to change their ways in the coming months and years. Anytime a person gets a cold or flu, even if mild, it will be self-isolate no matter what. Even if it's not SARS-2. There will be added pressure from the populus to get the "bleep" home and not go to work, school, keep your kids out of daycare, etc. So many of us are guilty of this.

I think this will change things.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
With authorities saying don't come in and get tested unless you have severe complications, to not having testing kits, or even refusing to test for various reasons, this death rate might actually be comical. It's just the rate at which it spreads is the underlying problem.

Boy are people going to change their ways in the coming months and years. Anytime a person gets a cold or flu, even if mild, it will be self-isolate no matter what. Even if it's not SARS-2. There will be added pressure from the populus to get the "bleep" home and not go to work, school, keep your kids out of daycare, etc. So many of us are guilty of this.

I think this will change things.

Yup, that will be one of the long lasting changes from this. A total paradigm shift in the way we think about sick days and "working through sickness."

And yeah, the mortality rate is likely overestimated. The problem is that so many people are getting it that the sheer numbers are frightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad