News Article: Coronavirus Part 3: Social Distance Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Honest question: Why does Apple have nearly 2 million N-95 masks, and why would those masks not have been confiscated anyways?
Companies like Apple and Facebook started stockpiling masks for their employees after the forest fires

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Have a queery for all the "newly minted scientists, researchers, prognasticators and medical doctors" (lol) on here.

It is my understanding that this virus takes anywhere from 10 days to 2 weeks to make it's run and finish up. Thus the 2 week total isolation rule for anyone coming back from another country, or showing symptoms. But after this period of time is over, I would presume that, that person and anyone else they have isolated with, would be considered "clean".

The NHL issued instructions for all of it's players to self- isolate on March 13th. God knows we've seen enough videos of the martyrs doing their part. Now, nearly 3 weeks after that date, 3 Ottawa players have just tested positive for the virus. How is this possible, if they have (supposedly) been self isolating?

I work in an environment where 2 people tested positive (had low grade fever and minor cough). A third who showed symptoms first was never tested but is classed as presumptive positive. Showed symptoms on 20th and were tested that evening. Results not obtained until late on the 26th but they immediately went into isolation at home on the 20th. So approx one week for results and up to 14 days for symptoms to appear gives us an approx. three week time table. Everyone on mandatory isolation at home. 2 staff feel unwell on 27/28, (7-8 days after other people show symptoms) and get tested on 28th. Results come in quicker (3 days) and are listed as positive. Another staff has minor symptoms, has been around all 5 people but mentions dizziness among other mild symptoms and is not tested as "dizziness is not on list of symptoms". This person is probably positive but won't be tested unless breathing issues or stubborn fever arise. Isolation for everyone who didn't get tested is done Apr 3 even though people were around the first group on the 20th and the second group on the 26th.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Honestly i think we have shown we are not qualified to be doing anything important. Time to crawl back into the caves.

I often think nobody is actually good at their jobs. Myself included. I mean well....i am often doing the bare minimum.....cleaning up my f***ups. This is just another glaring example.

There are theories about this stuff...."the ingenuity gap" "tipping points" "ennui"...."that damned rock and roll music".....we can no longer solve problems at the rate we create them.

Too distracted....poorly organized....too inflexible.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
And we are right behind the US in the way we have bungled this right from the start.

Certainly we could have done a lot of things better for sure, I don’t disagree, however the massive increasing case and death numbers in the US speak to a huge disparity in preparedness between our two countries from the top levels of government (ie the leaders). Iran, Italy and Spain take a seat high up the “ignoring information” chart well ahead of Canada.

Again there is plenty of blame to go around, no country will be blameless.

Reactions: frag2

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Have a queery for all the "newly minted scientists, researchers, prognasticators and medical doctors" (lol) on here.

It is my understanding that this virus takes anywhere from 10 days to 2 weeks to make it's run and finish up. Thus the 2 week total isolation rule for anyone coming back from another country, or showing symptoms. But after this period of time is over, I would presume that, that person and anyone else they have isolated with, would be considered "clean".

The NHL issued instructions for all of it's players to self- isolate on March 13th. God knows we've seen enough videos of the martyrs doing their part. Now, nearly 3 weeks after that date, 3 Ottawa players have just tested positive for the virus. How is this possible, if they have (supposedly) been self isolating?

How many days Covid-19 stays in your system - and when symptoms go away

From the article:

"97 per cent of all people who get the virus will develop symptoms within 11 days at most from the time when they were first infected, the study also found."

"How long do coronavirus symptoms last?"

"As with just about every other facet of this new disease, even the experts aren't 100 per cent sure on how long the symptoms of Covid-19 will last in a person...it's expected to be anything between seven and 14 days; although in some cases symptoms could persist for longer."

/End Article

So just one individual can carry it for around a month or more. That doesn't count if you pass it to a family member in the same home.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I still have a bunch of my cards from the late 60’s and early 70’s. Not in pristine shape, as I played every game imaginable with them.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Things need to be removed not added to the essential services.

Unfortunately we had our chance to trust Taiwan and implement their method but our government wanted to keep up appearances rather than protect its people while still having a somewhat functional society. We are on the inevitable path of quarantine until it passes.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Certainly we could have done a lot of things better for sure, I don’t disagree, however the massive increasing case and death numbers in the US speak to a huge disparity in preparedness between our two countries from the top levels of government (ie the leaders). Iran, Italy and Spain take a seat high up the “ignoring information” chart well ahead of Canada.

Not necessarily, it speaks to a much more densely populated country being much more prone to a virus spread. New York City alone has half the population of all of Canada, all 15 miles or so holding 18 million people.

Bottom line is that everybody dropped the ball on this and yes, the U.S. was one of the worst offenders especially since they are one of the world leaders that are supposed to set the precedent for others but many other countries also screwed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I can't believe that our government is about to let a whole wack of planes come back into the country from around the world, and not test every single person who is on them. Instead, only the ones who "appear ill",and everybody else gets told to go home and self isolate. All it's going to take is a few of those to buck the rules and then infect a whole bunch more.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
How many days Covid-19 stays in your system - and when symptoms go away

From the article:

"97 per cent of all people who get the virus will develop symptoms within 11 days at most from the time when they were first infected, the study also found."

"How long do coronavirus symptoms last?"

"As with just about every other facet of this new disease, even the experts aren't 100 per cent sure on how long the symptoms of Covid-19 will last in a person...it's expected to be anything between seven and 14 days; although in some cases symptoms could persist for longer."

/End Article

So just one individual can carry it for around a month or more. That doesn't count if you pass it to a family member in the same home.
Then the rule for isolation should be at least one month, not 14 days.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

This is of course assuming that the data coming out of China and provided for this graph is even remotely correct. Still, very interesting to see how it has exploded in the U.S., and it's just getting started. Wait till mid-April.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't doubt shenanigans over there; fairly certain the numbers are a lot higher than they are reporting. But all these countries complaining about flawed data and crap, they had 2-3 months head start and did nothing. Instead, they all brushed it off as 'just a flu' or 'it's only affecting Asia'.

These other countries had a time frame. They just chose to ignore the warning signs
Not excusing the late behaviour of many countries (looking at you, Mr. Trump), but to be fair, our scientists and the WHO are dependent on what China tells them, and when China says it's not a big deal, and just a regular flu that they have under control, what are you supposed to do? They filled up 2 months of lies that ultimately condemned the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad