News Article: Coronavirus Part 3: Social Distance Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
That guy that started all of this is probably out cruising in his truck that he bought from the man after the man gave him the money for it. Hopefully he is safe, the roads are a bit slick today!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Gonna repost some stuff here about the severity of COVID just in case it comes up again in this thread.

A few other points:
  • COVID-19 seems to be able to cause more severe disease than the flu, both in healthy people and those with comorbidities. This is possibly due to the fact that it is "new" like you said, or possibly because the virus itself is more prone to causing severe pulmonary inflammation.
  • Virulence and transmission is controversial still, however it appears to be as contagious (if not moreso) than the flu. Again this could be due to the fact that the transmission period is longer before symptoms arise like you said.
  • The flu has both a seasonal vaccine and antiviral treatment; COVID-19 (at present) does not

It is obvious from a healthcare standpoint the differences between this and the flu, and many other "common" respiratory viruses. Measures like social distancing and self-isolation prevent needless deaths; if it's a choice between reduced personal freedom for a period of time vs. masses of people dying needlessly, I always choose the former.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is there another singular, acute, viral-associated cause of death more prevalent (in terms of spread and mortality rate) than COVID-19 in recent memory? Is there another singular, acute, viral-associated cause of hospitalization more prevalent than COVID-19 in recent memory? Patients with severe cases of COVID-19 are taking up entire wings in hospitals in the US and Italy (and other countries). Hospitals are running out of ventilators for patients due to COVID-19. Do you hear about the flu causing hospitals to be overloaded with patients with severe disease? Has the flu ever caused a shortage of ventilators?

Ask yourself these obvious questions and don't try to over-analyze the obvious answers. There isn't always something "more to the story." Sometimes the story is just the story.

People are getting too caught up in technicalities right now. What's the practical difference between COVID being the cause of dying vs. death due to the presence of COVID? There is none. COVID is responsible for deaths that wouldn't have happened at this point in time if COVID didn't exist. Some of the arguments I've read online (not necessarily here on HF) actually say "well, they would have died eventually anyway from cancer or diabetes, we can't blame COVID solely for their deaths." Well, yeah, but guess what the mortality rate is for humans on Earth? 100%. Everyone eventually dies. It's a silly argument to try to siphon off part of the blame from COVID to a pre-existing comorbidity.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just because there is no exact quantitative answer it doesn't mean we can't apply common sense with qualitative reasoning. Have hospitals ever run out of ventilators across the globe before due to a single disease? You almost don't even need to ask any other question.

And there is enough quantitative data out there anyways to suggest that COVID-19 is deadlier than the average respiratory virus.

As for the last question, the short answer is yes, it is.

The long answer is here: What is the prevalence of viral pneumonia?

COVID-19 kills by causing severe pneumonia. Historically, most pneumonia cases are caused by bacteria. A smaller percentage is caused by viruses. Flu viruses cause more than 50% of viral pneumonia cases. Coronavirus causes up to 14% of pneumonia cases.

What's happening with COVID-19? You're getting a spike in pneumonia cases which seems to be greater than the 14% historically quoted. How do we know this? Because that 14% does not cause entire hospital wings to be taken up with associated cases, nor does it cause entire nations to run out of ventilators. So in terms of spread and ability to cause severe disease, we know it's worse than the typical coronavirus.

What else is happening with COVID-19? You're getting a mortality rate of anywhere between 1% to 4%, depending on the country. Mortality rates for the flu range from 0.1 to 0.3% I think. Even if you apply some variance due to the fact that flu is vague and probably underreported, that's a factor of 10 difference. Meaning if they estimated 30,000 deaths in the US due to the flu last year, for the variance to approach COVID-19 numbers, the actual numbers would have to be 300,000. Did 300,000 people die in the US from the flu last year? I would find that unlikely.

Which means even in the best case scenario, you have a virus that:
  • Seems to be spread as easily (or moreso) than the average coronavirus or flu
  • Seems to more easily cause pneumonia in infected patients than the average coronavirus
  • Seems to be more deadly in patients who get viral-associated pneumonia than the average coronavirus or flu

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
It's a shame the previous thread was closed. I wanted to see if we could make it to 1k pages by the time all of this was up.

Reactions: Cloned

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
On the bright side, experts predict that winter in Alberta should be contained and eradicated by the end of June.

3 weeks ago I lived the movie Twister.
2 weeks ago I lived the movie Contaigon.
1 week ago I lived the movie Groundhog Day.
This week it is The Day After Tomorrow.

Can’t wait to see what next week brings.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
3 weeks ago I lived the movie Twister.
2 weeks ago I lived the movie Contaigon.
1 week ago I lived the movie Groundhog Day.
This week it is The Day After Tomorrow.

Can’t wait to see what next week brings.
Total Recall (1990) would be sweet

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Site seems to be working better, just need the thread to be live and should be good to go.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I always liked the scene when Arnold’s head almost exploded.

giphy.gif

Is this a scene from Total Recall, or a Flat Earther being told there is NOT a global conspiracy on the shape of the planet...

YOU DECIDE

Reactions: Nostradumbass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad