OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Not if you're wearing one that actually DOES something other than give you the opportunity to virtue signal, like a KN-95. That is all I wear, and you notice it, and would suck if you wore it all day.
Wearing a mask is not a virtue signal. And if everyone wears one it’s been statistically proven to “do something” in your words.

Plus, yes, it’s possible to get accustomed to a kn-95. If doctors can do it. So can you. This really isn’t that hard.

Doctors in my area would have killed for some more PPE spring of last year. They’re not virtue signaling. They’re not complaining that they need to wear one. They’re just trying to protect themselves and their patients.

I’m literally wearing two paper masks + a visor as I type this since I’m currently traveling country with a 20% vaccination rate.

Just follow the science on this.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Your experience is your own, doesn't make it everyone's experience.
Spreading of the virus absent wearing a mask is everyone’s experience, regardless of your subjective comfort level. Comparatively, wearing the mask is less uncomfortable than having f***ing COVID-19.

Objectively.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Wearing a mask is not a virtue signal. And if everyone wears one it’s been statistically proven to “do something” in your words.

Plus, yes, it’s possible to get accustomed to a kn-95. If doctors can do it. So can you. This really isn’t that hard.

Doctors in my area would have killed for some more PPE spring of last year. They’re not virtue signaling. They’re not complaining that they need to wear one. They’re just trying to protect themselves and their patients.

I’m literally wearing two paper masks + a visor as I type this since I’m currently traveling country with a 20% vaccination rate.

Just follow the science on this.
Are you not vaccinated? 2 masks and a visor...?

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Are you not vaccinated? 2 masks and a visor...?
I’m traveling in an enclosed vehicle in Peru with other travelers. Normally, a simple paper mask would (mostly) suffice.

This is an extra precaution for extenuating circumstances. My wife is here as a volunteer to provide medical advice with regard to the virus, the lambda variant, and to help distribute the vaccine at medical clinics.

But yes, we’re both vaccinated. We need to ensure we don’t get a positive test result to return home. So we’re taking extra precautions.

PS - double masking is the law here now.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I’ll write one more post this morning about this - I think a lot of the people who complain about mask wearing haven’t lived through the results. When you’re a doctor and you have to literally turn away patients because your hospital is overrun, you’re seeing people die preventable deaths, people on social media tell you things like they don’t “believe” in wearing masks or getting the vaccine like it’s the tooth fairy, you contract COVID yourself as a result of treating your patients at the height of the pandemic, you spread it to your family, you lose some colleagues along the way, and then hear people say things like “a mask is uncomfortable”, it’s really hard to take such opinions seriously. As a society, we are witnessing the height of short-sighted selfishness every day now with people who think their precious rights are being infringed upon by being asked to wear a mask and get a miracle vaccine.

There are pregnant women in Uganda who walk 70+ miles barefoot for the chance to get vaccines. Not just against COVID-19. Just in general. I know, because my wife treated them too.

And here we are, asking people to go to their local pharmacy to get it for free, no questions asked. And still people are unable to make the correct choice here. I’m not even sure why at this point. The information is readily available. But society as a whole seems to struggle to do the simplest things to make the world safe again.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I’ll write one more post this morning about this - I think a lot of the people who complain about mask wearing haven’t lived through the results. When you’re a doctor and you have to literally turn away patients because your hospital is overrun, you’re seeing people die preventable deaths, people on social media tell you things like they don’t “believe” in wearing masks or getting the vaccine like it’s the tooth fairy, you contract COVID yourself as a result of treating your patients at the height of the pandemic, you spread it to your family, you lose some colleagues along the way, and then hear people say things like “a mask is uncomfortable”, it’s really hard to take such opinions seriously. As a society, we are witnessing the height of short-sighted selfishness every day now with people who think their precious rights are being infringed upon by being asked to wear a mask and get a miracle vaccine.

There are pregnant women in Uganda who walk 70+ miles barefoot for the chance to get vaccines. Not just against COVID-19. Just in general. I know, because my wife treated them too.

And here we are, asking people to go to their local pharmacy to get it for free, no questions asked. And still people are unable to make the correct choice here. I’m not even sure why at this point. The information is readily available. But society as a whole seems to struggle to do the simplest things to make the world safe again.

People die preventable deaths in much higher numbers from disease other than covid. Why don't we address those deaths and the underlying causes? Do we shut down the country over heart disease? Obesity?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
People die preventable deaths in much higher numbers from disease other than covid. Why don't we address those deaths and the underlying causes? Do we shut down the country over heart disease? Obesity?
Because those diseases don’t cause hospitals to be overrun with patients. Healthcare is not an unlimited resource. And those other things don’t deplete the resource like COVID-19 does.

Plain and simple - we cannot care for people with cancer, heart disease, and obesity if COVID-19 continues to ravage our hospital systems.

COVID-19 is so devastating because of how easily it spreads. Heart disease and obesity are not contagious. Not even the flu is as contagious.

This is an issue about not just the disease itself, but of what kind of healthcare we as a society can provide and the depletion of our medical resources.

For example, post-op cancer patients are being sent home immediately now rather than staying at the hospital to recover with a staff that can care for them. That staff is not available. And that bed is needed for someone who selfishly decided not to get a vaccine.

It’s not just space in hospitals - respirators are also in limited supply for COVID patients themselves.

Want an elective procedure? You’re not going to be able to get it done, no matter how much it could improve your life. It could be the difference between walking vs a wheelchair for you. But hospitals will turn you away because they simply don’t have space. Because a mask and a vaccine is too inconvenient for people.

So yes, we want to treat obesity and heart disease, but we literally can’t do anything when every resource needs to be devoted to just one preventable thing.

If we could turn away patients who refused to get vaccinated, then sure, that could work. Or if they agreed not to come to the hospital to get treated then that would be another solution.

But suddenly, people who are anti-vaccine tend to change their tune about the efficacy of medical advice the moment it becomes too hard to breathe and it’s too late for a vaccine. Crazy how that happens.

Very noble people are trying to keep you and people you know alive. That goes for not just COVID-19 but anything else that could require medical attention - preventable or otherwise. Help them out. Get vaccinated and mask up.

Last edited:

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Because those diseases don’t cause hospitals to be overrun with patients. Healthcare is not an unlimited resource. And those other things don’t deplete the resource like COVID-19 does.

Plain and simple - we cannot care for people with cancer, heart disease, and obesity if COVID-19 continues to ravage our hospital systems.

COVID-19 is so devastating because of how easily it spreads. Heart disease and obesity are not contagious. Not even the flu is as contagious.

This is an issue about not just the disease itself, but of what kind of healthcare we as a society can provide and the depletion of our medical resources.

For example, post-op cancer patients are being sent home immediately now rather than staying at the hospital to recover with a staff that can care for them. That staff is not available. And that bed is needed for someone who selfishly decided not to get a vaccine.

It’s not just space in hospitals - respirators are also in limited supply for COVID patients themselves.

Want an elective procedure? You’re not going to be able to get it done, no matter how much it could improve your life. It could be the difference between walking vs a wheelchair for you. But hospitals will turn you away because they simply don’t have space. Because a mask and a vaccine is too inconvenient for people.

So yes, we want to treat obesity and heart disease, but we literally can’t do anything when every resource needs to be devoted to just one preventable thing.

If we could turn away patients who refused to get vaccinated, then sure, that could work. Or if they agreed not to come to the hospital to get treated then that would be another solution.

But suddenly, people who are anti-vaccine tend to change their tune about the efficacy of medical advice the moment it becomes too hard to breathe and it’s too late for a vaccine. Crazy how that happens.

Very noble people are trying to keep you and people you know alive. That goes for not just COVID-19 but anything else that could require medical attention - preventable or otherwise. Help them out. Get vaccinated and mask up.

Aren't the majority of people dying from Covid riddled with underlying health issues? Statistics say yes. The same "noble people" who are trying to save us from covid don't say a peep, or at least not loud enough for anyone to hear, about how to prevent the taxation of our healthcare system. If smoking, obesity, poor eating habits etc.. were addressed, we wouldn't have so many people at the hospital with covid complications.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Aren't the majority of people dying from Covid riddled with underlying health issues? Statistics say yes. The same "noble people" who are trying to save us from covid don't say a peep, or at least not loud enough for anyone to hear, about how to prevent the taxation of our healthcare system. If smoking, obesity, poor eating habits etc.. were addressed, we wouldn't have so many people at the hospital with covid complications.
Of course if smoking, obesity, and poor eating habits were addressed, less people would die if COVID-19. But doctors can’t sit with every citizen to ensure they’re making good choices every day.

There are entire disciplines of medicine, however, dedicated to this field. It’s called Bariatrics and there are tons of great doctors who do that, and only that, for a living.

That has nothing to do with wearing a mask or getting a vaccine in a pandemic though. Bariatric physicians would still encourage you to get vaccinated and mask up even if you complied with every other piece of medical advice they provide to you.

We are not going to solve the complex socioeconomic obesity issues of society as a response to the exigency posed by COVID-19. Be realistic. And even if we did, you’d still be encouraged to get vaccinated.

Last edited:

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Honestly, I've f---ing had it with selfish people who won't take basic precautions to protect their neighbors. Getting the vaccine is not a "personal choice" if you then also choose to go out in public and expose people to a disease. If someone doesn't want to get the vaccine or wear a piece of cloth over their face, fine, but then you don't get to be part of society like the rest of us who understand that freedom also comes with responsibilities.

Mandate masks, mandate the vaccine, and make it punitive for these people who think their own convenience is more precious than their neighbors' lives.

We could be done with this goddamn pandemic by now if there were fewer selfish, irresponsible, and entitled a--holes.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There have been 615,000 + people who have died from covid in this country and without any mitigation it would be in the millions. Some of that mitigation has been asked of the general public--shutdowns, masks and social distancing. The preventative mitigation of actually saving lives has fallen on first responders, nurses, doctors, hospital systems and local, state and federal govt.

People have very surprisingly short memories. When Covid first hit the NYC area like a f***ing bomb it was killing 800, 900, 1000 people a day just in the NYC area. It is contagious and left to wreak havoc it will wreak havoc.......and it's still here and will be here as long as so many people won't step up and get vaccinated. In Florida these days they are regularly getting over 20,000 new cases every day. Lately they've been close to 30,000. Many of these people end up hospitalized and a good of number of them in ICU's on oxygen and without those ventilators they will die. Some will anyway.

I really don't know why we need to go here again. It seems like the reluctant always have an excuse, some know it all expert friends, or some clown they listen to on TV or giving them a sermon on Sunday. This disease moves and spreads a lot faster than the time taken for a skinny person to become obese and develop a heart issue and it's overwhelming hospitals.

Last edited by a moderator:

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Honestly, I've f---ing had it with selfish people who won't take basic precautions to protect their neighbors. Getting the vaccine is not a "personal choice" if you then also choose to go out in public and expose people to a disease. If someone doesn't want to get the vaccine or wear a piece of cloth over their face, fine, but then you don't get to be part of society like the rest of us who understand that freedom also comes with responsibilities.

Mandate masks, mandate the vaccine, and make it punitive for these people who think their own convenience is more precious than their neighbors' lives.

We could be done with this goddamn pandemic by now if there were fewer selfish, irresponsible, and entitled a--holes.

For many people, it isn't about inconvenience.
Coronavirus isn't going away. It will now be a part of the seasonal flu strain. Vaccines are working, but they will not necessarily provide protection against future variants.

Reactions: bl02

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
For many people, it isn't about inconvenience.
Coronavirus isn't going away. It will now be a part of the seasonal flu strain. Vaccines are working, but they will not necessarily provide protection against future variants.

You know why variants keep developing? Because the virus is allowed to spread rampantly by un-vaccinated, un-masked people.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
I'll say this here just like I say to my friends who have differing viewpoints. Don't listen to me, don't listen to google, facebook or the news. Go talk to your doctor. Get their advice and follow their advice. There is a reason that they are a doctor, they understand the data and they should be your #1 consultant in any health decision you make. The amount of people substituting doctors advice for random social media advice is staggering and honestly, horrifying.

Reactions: eco's bones

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

A few things:

1. That is blatantly false. We would not be done with this pandemic by now.
2. You do realize that PoC tend to be among the lowest vaccinated groups and it comes from their general distrust of government? Can we blame them? Certainly access to vaccines at this time is no longer an issue.
3. Mandating a vaccine that has still not been FDA approved is absurd. You want shit to move quicker? Blame the f***ing government, more specifically the FDA for dragging ass on moving this from an emergency use authorization to an actually approved vaccine.

That approval is, from an HR and Legal perspective, a rubber stamp for employers to require the vaccine and be nearly free from liability. As someone who works in pharma I can tell you there are a lot of conversations ongoing about what is taking the FDA so f***ing long to just go ahead and officially approve these vaccines.

The FDA needs to be overhauled. It has for years. It has become a roadblock to scientific and medical progression.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Because a fat person isn't going to walk into a Starbucks and infect another customer with heart disease or diabetes. You can't catch hypertension and bring it home to your 80 year old father who is battling cancer. That's a completely asinine comparison to draw.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I wouldn’t worry too much about the people who aren’t getting vaccinated. I’m sure as this goes on they will get more restrictions and they will almost be backed into a corner where they need one if they want normal life to resume. Unless cases are low enough that they are irrelevant (idk what cases are Rn and couldn’t care less so don’t have a comment on them.)

Sucks for them, I have absolutely no problem with anyone who doesn’t want one and I completely understand. But I have a feeling that’s the way this is slowly going to head.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I wouldn’t worry too much about the people who aren’t getting vaccinated. I’m sure as this goes on they will get more restrictions and they will almost be backed into a corner where they need one if they want normal life to resume. Unless cases are low enough that they are irrelevant (idk what cases are Rn and couldn’t care less so don’t have a comment on them.)

Sucks for them, I have absolutely no problem with anyone who doesn’t want one and I completely understand. But I have a feeling that’s the way this is slowly going to head.

I have zero concern for the people who are willfully skipping the vaccine. That's just natural selection as far as I'm concerned. I care about the people they might infect because of their ignorance and selfishness.

Reactions: OverTheCap

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I have zero concern for the people who are willfully skipping the vaccine. That's just natural selection as far as I'm concerned. I care about the people they might infect because of their ignorance and selfishness.

Fair but some people absolutely hate those people not getting vaccinated for some reason.

But anyway I think we need to understand that there's always going to be those people (Who skip it and infect others) it sucks but that's the way its going to be. Maybe we can mellow those down in #s but we can't get rid of them. All we can do is what we feel like is our part.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Spreading of the virus absent wearing a mask is everyone’s experience, regardless of your subjective comfort level. Comparatively, wearing the mask is less uncomfortable than having f***ing COVID-19.

Objectively.

I never said you shouldn't wear a mask but also some people wear masks despite not liking it, like me. Saying "it's no big deal" makes it sound like those people are p***yes or something.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Fair but some people absolutely hate those people not getting vaccinated for some reason.

But anyway I think we need to understand that there's always going to be those people (Who skip it and infect others) it sucks but that's the way its going to be. Maybe we can mellow those down in #s but we can't get rid of them. All we can do is what we feel like is our part.

I don't hate anyone for willfully skipping the vaccine. That being said I don't think we should just accept it, nor do I think the fact that we may never eradicate it is a reason to let those people off the hook. Anti-vax people are willfully endangering the population without any legitimate reason to do so.

The issue here is that these people see not getting the shot in the same vein as not wanting to wear a seatbelt or smoking while they're pregnant. When in reality it's more like getting behind the wheel of a car while drunk or forcing your pregnant friend to be around you while you're smoking. A large portion of the population simply lacks empathy.

Reactions: clmetsfan

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A conservative anti-vax pro ivermectin radio host from Tennessee Phil Valentine has been hospitalized with Covid and on a ventilator for at least a couple weeks now. His brother Marc says he regrets not getting vaccinated now. Hopefully he survives and relates that message to his audience.

Last week another conservative radio host from Florida Dick Farrel died in the hospital from covid. He had called Fauci a ‘lying power hungry freak’.

……and today another conservative radio host from Florida Marc Bernier finds himself in the hospital with covid. He’s portrayed the Federal govt.’s efforts to get people vaccinated to the Nazi’s.

I’ll reiterate what Bacon Artemi Bravo said above. If you’re not sure who or what to believe go see your doctor. Don’t rely on people who don’t know shit.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I don't hate anyone for willfully skipping the vaccine. That being said I don't think we should just accept it, nor do I think the fact that we may never eradicate it is a reason to let those people off the hook. Anti-vax people are willfully endangering the population without any legitimate reason to do so.

The issue here is that these people see not getting the shot in the same vein as not wanting to wear a seatbelt or smoking while they're pregnant. When in reality it's more like getting behind the wheel of a car while drunk or forcing your pregnant friend to be around you while you're smoking. A large portion of the population simply lacks empathy.

I don't think we have much choice besides to accept it atm. At least until more restrictions on those who arent vaccinated come into play. Unvaccinated people endangering the population slightly sure. But considering the survival rate (especially to those vaccinated) I think its harsh to act as if they are killing a ton of people. Also as a slight add to the "legitimate reason to do so" part. All due respect thats just your opinion, its worth as much as their opinion which is the opposite.

Yeah im not sure why we keep seeing people trying to relate this to seatbelts and obesity etc. Strange one to me. Your examples are exaggerated imo but I agree. What I mean by that is id say a drunk driver is much more dangerous than someone who isnt vaccinated it makes them look worse than they are.

Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad