OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VI (NO RIOT/PROTEST DISCUSSION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, mutations can modify functionality and infectiousness, but most mutations don't really change anything at all. Looks like one impactful mutation has been confirmed, but it's been around for at least 3 months and hasn't seemed to change anything about functionality, but rather infectiousness.

And they're almost certainly not related to seasonality. Different mutations of the flu every year, for example, don't really impact when flu season is.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Mutations wouldn't respond that quickly to the weather.

I feel as though seasonality is nothing more than a guess that we've just assumed is true.

The experts said from beginning that there's no concrete proof of it and all of the current hotspots are some of the hottest climates in the world.

This may actually be a good thing here in New York. It doesn't inherently have to come back in the fall.

mutations are mutations and take place over time. I mention the weather b/c autumn is some “time” away. Fewer spikes have been observed and subjectively assumed the virus is perhaps less functional.

Never mind the media’s mutating adamant position and the hysteria by those adamantly pointing blame but maybe had we kept our heads we would have been better off.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Yeah, mutations can modify functionality and infectiousness, but most mutations don't really change anything at all. Looks like one impactful mutation has been confirmed, but it's been around for at least 3 months.

perhaps it was the fickle media who mutated their multiple adamant positions of hysteria and blame. They have certainly changed their tune from Covid 24/7 to the latest topic now occasionally drifting back to Covid as many have mild symptoms. Quite a mutation from “the beast comes at night!!” What an @SS.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
IDK, maybe the "hysteria" in the media could've been calmed by something like... a national leader? With a plan to tackle the issue? Maybe? Instead, every "hysterical" prediction coming from the media has been more much more accurate than the predictions coming from certain politicians. Strange how that works.

No one's forgotten about COVID. That's just nonsense.

Reactions: Irishguy42

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
IDK, maybe the "hysteria" in the media could've been calmed by something like... a national leader? With a plan to tackle the issue? Maybe? Instead, every "hysterical" prediction coming from the media has been more much more accurate than the predictions coming from certain politicians. Strange how that works.

No one's forgotten about COVID. That's just nonsense.

oh please, let’s not give the fickle media a break. Over the past 5 months they have collectively pretended to be experts in law, politics, religion, medicine, racism etc while we were thankfully spared from murder hornets. They’re frauds who stir the pot looking for ratings.

Reactions: bl02

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
oh please, let’s not give the fickle media a break. Over the 5 months they have collectively pretended to be experts in law, politics, religion, medicine, racism etc while we were thankfully spared from murder hornets. They’re frauds looking for ratings.

I'm not giving anyone a break. Some elements of the media are experts in those things, and when they aren't, they interview people that are. If you listened to the experts, *they* were the ones raising the alarms. The media was just reporting on them.

They're not perfectly accurate every single time, and yes... they sensationalize and they look for ratings. But that's not the same thing as being frauds. Again, the media, collectively, was largely right about this whole thing and still continues to be.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
oh please, let’s not give the fickle media a break. Over the past 5 months they have collectively pretended to be experts in law, politics, religion, medicine, racism etc while we were thankfully spared from murder hornets. They’re frauds who stir the pot looking for ratings.
In a perfect world, how would you like this handled?

The media sucks as it is, I agree, but I think the idea of it is necessary. You can't just not have information. That's a very dangerous way to live.

I also 100% subscribe to the idea that people should do their own research, but good research takes months. We didn't have months and we don't have months now. Any "research" that's disseminated for quick information is...well, media.

So how should this go?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The problem is I can't get other people to wear them.
Yep. And personally, I don’t expect everyone to wear a mask all the time. But when I’m close quarters, I think it’s appropriate. I wear mine on my chin mostly, but when I’m at a register or in an elevator or on a tightly packed train or just close others in general I bring it up and cover my mouth and nose.

Reactions: bl02

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I'm not giving anyone a break. Some elements of the media are experts in those things, and when they aren't, they interview people that are. If you listened to the experts, *they* were the ones raising the alarms. The media was just reporting on them.

They're not perfectly accurate every single time, and yes... they sensationalize and they look for ratings. But that's not the same thing as being frauds. Again, the media, collectively, was largely right about this whole thing and still continues to be.

lol two networks, especially one who refers to anything as irrelevant as rain drops as “breaking news” isn’t journalism. A bunch frauds with a following that laughably can’t apparently think. They’re a disgrace and more responsible for division in this country than anybody in-office.

Reactions: egelband

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
lol two networks, especially one who refers to anything as irrelevant as rain drops as “breaking news” isn’t journalism. A bunch frauds with a following that laughably can’t apparently think. They’re a disgrace and more responsible for division in this country than anybody in-office.

I didn’t realize that two networks (or three, even) represented the whole of the media.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
In a perfect world, how would you like this handled?

It’s so imperfect we can start anywhere. Reality TV, fake news, bogus experts, fraudulent and misleading data, etc, , etc, etc. No repercussions, no accountability and literally no clue. The cherry pick words and sentences like online trolls.

Thankfully, i believe we have enough level headed and educated Americans who can see through this.

Hoping for a vaccine rather than breaking news about a dozen contradictory topics like two groups of 1,000 people gathering with one being reported as Covid risk and the other not.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If they walk like a duck, line up the whole flock of frauds.

I mean, that’s BS. I guess I might have a different view of the media considering that I don’t watch the cable news channels. The closest I get is following a couple of the TV hosts on Twitter, though admittedly none of the Fox News people.

I consume media from a pretty wide range of sources, “left” and “right” leaning. I also tend to parse articles for expert commentary, rather than journalist explanation. You get a pretty good wide angle view doing that.

On topic, in consuming media that way, I’m pretty confident in what I said earlier. Despite whatever sensationalism that might have been added on top, the media’s largely had the coronavirus right on the nose. And even if the hysteria was overboard, had the government gone along with it, we’d be in much better shape than we are today.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Despite whatever sensationalism that might have been added on top, the media’s largely had the coronavirus right on the nose.

lol, yeah ok. The laundry list of inaccurate hyperbole has been as laughable as their main targets of blame. The audience tunes into their reality tv with a fresh dose of material to complain about while the frauds spent as much time researching the facts as their audience. Chop up the video and deliver the laundry.

And what’s printed lol. Please, stop telling us about a “study” or “French”, Korean”, study with zero reference to what type of study it is. Never mind the objective evidence and P value.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s so imperfect we can start anywhere. Reality TV, fake news, bogus experts, fraudulent and misleading data, etc, , etc, etc. No repercussions, no accountability and literally no clue. The cherry pick words and sentences like online trolls.

Thankfully, i believe we have enough level headed and educated Americans who can see through this.

Hoping for a vaccine rather than breaking news about a dozen contradictory topics like two groups of 1,000 people gathering with one being reported as Covid risk and the other not.
I know what your criticisms of the existing system are. I'm asking you to tell me what a better one looks like.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I know what your criticisms of the existing system are. I'm asking you to tell me what a better one looks like.

for this latest Covid - give me Doctors speaking with Doctors. Not media member who ask “why do older people get sick”? Gee, how come we don’t have 40,000 ventilators allocated to 4 nyc hospitals? Somebody wasn’t prepared, etc.etc. In the meantime there weren’t even close to 40,000 patients.

For the other topics including our issues of law prior to the pandemic and our latest issues since the crime was committed, knock it off. This isn’t objective journalism, it’s the great divide of our country. Turn the tables on these frauds by peppering them with questions or ridicule and it’s been demonstrated they can dish it out but can’t take it. Many get violent while other tear up (most are alligator tears ). They’re laughable.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
for this latest Covid - give me Doctors speaking with Doctors. Not media member who ask “why do older people get sick”? Gee, how come we don’t have 40,000 ventilators allocated to 4 nyc hospitals? Somebody wasn’t prepared, etc.etc. In the meantime there weren’t even close to 40,000 patients.

For the other topics including our issues of law prior to the pandemic and our latest issues since the crime as committed, knock it off. This isn’t objective journalism, it’s the great divide of our country.
You call for doctors but doctors overwhelmingly believe that our behavior dictates pandemic outcomes. You don't seem to support that notion. You've repeatedly expressed the notion that our results in the US have been inevitable and not unique. Medical opinions don't support that.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You call for doctors but doctors overwhelmingly believe that our behavior dictates pandemic outcomes. You don't seem to support that notion. You've repeatedly expressed the notion that our results in the US have been inevitable and not unique. Medical opinions don't support that.

No, no, no, the media asking these horrific questions and then turning to the camera or writing about the perceived answers are not Doctors.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No, no, no, the media asking these horrific questions and then turning to the camera or writing about the perceived answers are not Doctors.
See, you say you want expert opinions but as soon as you don't agree with it, it's the media choosing to show a wrong opinion.

People have very valid frustrations with the media and you prey on that by saying "anything I don't like is media lying to you." You're gaslighting people.

And if you're not, by all means, show me these doctors that agree with you.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not for nothing, but any journalistic source worth a damn is either going to link you directly to a study or cite/quote clearly enough for you to find the study on your own. Your level of engagement in doing so is for no one to decide but yourself. Just examples from the last week, of both methods: Article and Article. If you can't use either of those articles to get here: Study Press Release, then I don't really know what to say. If you're not interested in getting to that third place, don't blame anyone else for it. Certainly don't blame the organizations who are giving you the means to do it.

Reactions: Machinehead

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
See, you say you want expert opinions but as soon as you don't agree with it, it's the media choosing to show a wrong opinion.

People have very valid frustrations with the media and you prey on that by saying "anything I don't like is media lying to you." You're gaslighting people.

And if you're not, by all means, show me these doctors that agree with you.

lol, stop already. Have fam members who are Docs who both work and speak with Doctors much higher up on the food chain. I read studies, posted links, discussed and try to discover and share as much objective evidence as possible.

The media is reporting garbage and these media frauds are not docs asking questions to doctors. You asked and i gave you the answer. It’s you who don’t like the answer. Good lord lol, as far as gaslighting lol, please, look at your history since April. Be honest, all along the history of discovery you always post as if you have the answer and keep pointing at the man running the country for blame which is no different than many in the media.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad