OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VI (NO RIOT/PROTEST DISCUSSION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Looks like mid-Hudson will re-open to Phase 1 on Tuesday. They need to get these tracers trained over the weekend.

Long Island possibly by Wednesday as well. Cuomo hasn't even mentioned NYC which makes me think they're not close on the tracers yet because they're not too far off on bed capacity.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Long Island possibly by Wednesday as well. Cuomo hasn't even mentioned NYC which makes me think they're not close on the tracers yet because they're not too far off on bed capacity.

NYC will be the last to start to re-open but think it will be sooner than expected. I can only imagine how clean the city is now from less people, less pollution and etc. Will be sad since it won’t stay that way.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
NYC will be the last to start to re-open but think it will be sooner than expected. I can only imagine how clean the city is now from less people, less pollution and etc. Will be sad since it won’t stay that way.
I don't know about pollution, but if we come together to beat this virus, we can come together to keep our city cleaner.

Different topic but definitely something we should think about when this is over.

Reactions: Ola and Leonardo87

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Universal Orlando is re-opening June 5th. Florida is way ahead of us. Gonna be limited capacity and have to wear a face covering when around people and get temperature Taken before entering.

I hope things work out, this will be a huge test. Since it will be similar situations like going to a concert or game, which has large amounts of people.
‘Ahead of us’ isn’t accurate really
We here in Orlando didn’t have anything close to NY... I keep all of u and my fam and friends up there in my thoughts daily.

But you are correct that it’ll be a huge test. I go back to work on the same day (not at the park). We are all going to see what happens and how/when/if things skyrocket in a bad direction.

I hope for humanity’s sake they don’t.

Reactions: eco's bones

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'm not in the mood to get a mod warning, so I will refrain and continue to make only light posts. Get it? Light posts?

As far as I know, having interacted with a mod, I did not cross any lines by posting that video. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I will hear about it.

Are you saying that you found it objectionable?

If not, I missed your point.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
All true, but some are stupid and selfish. That's only going to get worse until the fall. Then most everyone will wonder why it was such a big deal to wear a mask.

There is going to be all kinds of after the fact complaining that we didn't need to do this or that. But we did. The point was not to make a situation worse than it was and it would have been. A lot of people are stupid and selfish for sure but we are a society of individuals and there are common things that make us into that. This idea that we shouldn't worry about others and only about ourselves is very much about selfishness. Those lone cowboys should find themselves a patch of empty desert to live in.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
As far as I know, having interacted with a mod, I did not cross any lines by posting that video. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I will hear about it.

Are you saying that you found it objectionable?

If not, I missed your point.
No. Im saying I might not be able to control my commentary. I do not object. Honestly I didn't even watch it, but I got the gist from Navarro's thoughts.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No. Im saying I might not be able to control my commentary. I do not object. Honestly I didn't even watch it, but I got the gist from Navarro's thoughts.

The video is just a bunch of ignorant, selfish people who just don’t care. Although the woman who cut a hole in the mask actually made me laugh because not sure she is just filled with spite or just has no F’ing clue how a mask works. Lol.

Reactions: will1066

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The flip side:

When people talk about leadership, this is what they mean. Certain things transcend politics. A functioning, civil society is full of people who are willing to make small (and sometimes big) sacrifices in comfort or efficiency for the common good. Leaders are supposed to help keep people on that path; lead by example and ignore the petty, unimportant things to ensure the really important stuff gets taken care of.

Saying that the POTUS is woefully inept in this department is not a political statement. It’s the character that he is playing, and we are watching the fragmentation of our civil society accelerate every day. Instead of trying to slow it down, the man at the top does all he can to drive the wedge deeper and deeper, and we are now left with states full of people who are not only unwilling to make tiny (yes, tiny) sacrifices for the well being of their neighbors, they are also openly denying and rallying against the pleas for civility and acting out in ways that they wouldn’t have prior to this happening.

It’s just a sad state of affairs. I really hate it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
@Synergy27 Yeah, and it’s by far a really big concern. I am not concerned by much else, heck even think much of the rest is somewhat underrated at times.

But it’s like, if there is a fight to fight, it’s fought to win every single time with tooth’s and nails. But the battle field isn’t a boxing ring. It’s like a dinner table in a family of 5 and winning is that family being able to achieve things individually and as a group.

There is always a scale, I believe it’s tremendously important to stay on a very cautious side of the scale in this regard. But sure, all countries are different and I could see a point to the opposite.

But I can never buy that it’s good to disregard the effects of division completely.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
When people talk about leadership, this is what they mean. Certain things transcend politics. A functioning, civil society is full of people who are willing to make small (and sometimes big) sacrifices in comfort or efficiency for the common good. Leaders are supposed to help keep people on that path; lead by example and ignore the petty, unimportant things to ensure the really important stuff gets taken care of.

Saying that the POTUS is woefully inept in this department is not a political statement. It’s the character that he is playing, and we are watching the fragmentation of our civil society accelerate every day. Instead of trying to slow it down, the man at the top does all he can to drive the wedge deeper and deeper, and we are now left with states full of people who are not only unwilling to make tiny (yes, tiny) sacrifices for the well being of their neighbors, they are also openly denying and rallying against the pleas for civility and acting out in ways that they wouldn’t have prior to this happening.

It’s just a sad state of affairs. I really hate it.
And as such, do we not ask for ANY dignity in that leadership?
Any? At all??? Just pretend. Display. Portray DIGNITY

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?!?!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Roughly half the Twitter accounts pushing to 'reopen America' are bots, researchers found

We live in a dystopian nightmare in which algorithms define our behavior and bad actors leverage technology to take advantage of our collective stupidity and fear. Muh freedom, tho.

It speaks to the accusations of manipulation going on. One side arguing those wearing masks in public have bought into hysteria and are being led around like sheep by the govt. for instance. The truth really is no one has figured out all the parameters of the virus and taking measures to stop the spread is erring on the side of caution in an environment that has killed probably over 100,000 Americans now. Though some might have a level of hysteria or be hanging on every word that drips out of this or that politician's mouth it's not stupid IMO---there is real evidence to back up their concerns.

But anyway the countering arguments really seem pretty much based on feelings--not evidence or sometimes they're a trade off between saving the economy where we're willing to sacrifice such and such many lives for jobs or dow jones stats or sometimes even biased by the words dripping out of this or that commentator or politician's mouth as something akin to gospel too and of course there are underhanded ways of delivering those kinds of messages (as with bots) to people who could just as easily be called sheep.

People often don't like to admit what they don't know and sometimes opinions act for them as knowledge. There is still a lot that the scientists, doctors and experts don't haven't figured out with this and for the most part people with expertise say exactly that. Even so their opinions are a bit more credible to my eyes on this than say my best friend, members of my family or some knucklehead on a 24-7 television program or a radio host.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It speaks to the accusations of manipulation going on. One side arguing those wearing masks in public have bought into hysteria and are being led around like sheep by the govt. for instance. The truth really is no one has figured out all the parameters of the virus and taking measures to stop the spread is erring on the side of caution in an environment that has killed probably over 100,000 Americans now. Though some might have a level of hysteria or be hanging on every word that drips out of this or that politician's mouth it's not stupid IMO---there is real evidence to back up their concerns.

But anyway the countering arguments really seem pretty much based on feelings--not evidence or sometimes they're a trade off between saving the economy where we're willing to sacrifice such and such many lives for jobs or dow jones stats or sometimes even biased by the words dripping out of this or that commentator or politician's mouth as something akin to gospel too and of course there are underhanded ways of delivering those kinds of messages (as with bots) to people who could just as easily be called sheep.

People often don't like to admit what they don't know and sometimes opinions act for them as knowledge. There is still a lot that the scientists, doctors and experts don't haven't figured out with this and for the most part people with expertise say exactly that. Even so their opinions are a bit more credible to my eyes on this than say my best friend, members of my family or some knucklehead on a 24-7 television program or a radio host.
The most telling evidence out of the Sweden experiment is that their economy isn't doing any better than anyone else's.

The lockdowns didn't f*** up the economy, the virus did.

There are multiple trillion-dollar industries in this country that most people just won't do right now whether they're open or not.

Of course, I support salvaging everything we can and I don't support staying in lockdown forever, but the virus did this, not policy.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The most telling evidence out of the Sweden experiment is that their economy isn't doing any better than anyone else's.

The lockdowns didn't f*** up the economy, the virus did.

There are multiple trillion-dollar industries in this country that most people just won't do right now whether they're open or not.

Of course, I support salvaging everything we can and I don't support staying in lockdown forever, but the virus did this, not policy.

Nah, first of all this isn’t correct. Not if you don’t think single digital % of GDP doesn’t matters. Second of all, there is a little bit of difference between the US economy and the Swedish economy. Sweden lives mostly on exporting, the US economy is a consumer industry that drives itself. Then you of course have the pure size aspect.

My point is just, sure Swedish economy is record bad right now, but in many sectors it’s also record good compared to countries around it. You could just spin it both ways, Sweden’s strategy has been amazing it has increased the numbers of night stayed at hotels in April by 200,000% vs it’s neighbor Norway! ;) (it was maybe down 80%, but 80% is still better than 100%)

Also, you do actually miss the point. From day 1, heck from day -30, Sweden has not so much chosen a different policy than others as just choosing the only policy it saw available.

The experts from the get go concluded that a shut down is not an option, it will never work. This is simply what it is all about — right or wrong. They strongly argued from day 1 that it just would be pointless, and convinced the politicians (there is no doubt whatsoever that this is driven by the epidemiologists and not the politicians).

They, the epidemiologists, have said that if we shut down, we can maybe do it for a month or two — then the people won’t accept it. A vaccine will best case scenario take 18 months, shutting down for 2 of 18 months won’t help at all, shutting down 12 of 18 months won’t help at all either, you will get the same number of deaths just a couple of months later.

If you believe this, you don’t shut down. Right? There are no other options than to do what Sweden is doing.

Could the Swedish epidemiologist be wrong? Definitely. I would be surprised if they weren’t. I don’t think they where wrong about how long you can shut down, even if it was needed, I don’t think the US could have shut down for 18 months, not with a case fatality rate of under 1% that to 70-80% will kill elders, 18 months is a long time and a shut down will get exponentially higher negative effects the longer you enforce it.

But I definitely would not rule out that you can push the numbers low and keep them low with directed disciplined social distancing practices. Masks etc. No large gatherings. Contact tracking. Or you can’t — time will tell.

This is the retired state epidemiologist of Sweden, but the current one is his protigee (so) and think the same things. Listen to him to hear his view on things (it’s about a month old), get some perspective.

Reactions: NYROrtsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig