OT: Coronavirus chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pretty crazy to see people scoffing at even just a 2% mortality rate. That's 2/100 people you know gone at current rates.

Very dangerous virus right now. Couple that with our healthcare system and you're going to see a lot of people that go to work sick because they can't afford to take a day off and won't pay to go to a hospital and we could be in serious trouble.

Being communicable for 2 weeks before presenting symptoms is another huge advantage for this thing.

Wash you hands, cover your cough and don't touch your face!

No it would be 2% of those who get the virus, and that 2% is primarily the immune compromised like the elderly and very young. The same as the seasonal flu, but the flu's rate is around 0.1%.

Seems as though it could stick around for a while, and the incompetent response by the US administration, the lack of test kits compared to other countries, plus the cuts in CDC funding are compounding the problem.

It's too early to know how accurate those mortality rates are (could go up or down), and how much of a danger it is for the average healthy person.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
What makes you think this survey is not reliable?

It was from a PR company (that reps wine and vodka companies), with no methodology released or the questions that were asked (until journalists did their thing). The question about drinking corona under any circumstances "now" implies that this has to do with the corona virus, when the question simply wasn't worded that way (in other words, it includes people who would never drink it before coronavirus was a thing).

It's a nothing survey, with shitty methods, that means nothing.

No, 38% Of Americans Probably Didn't Stop Drinking Corona Because Of Coronavirus | HuffPost

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
No it would be 2% of those who get the virus, and that 2% is primarily the immune compromised like the elderly and very young. The same as the seasonal flu, but the flu's rate is around 0.1%.

Seems as though it could stick around for a while, and the incompetent response by the US administration, the lack of test kits compared to other countries, plus the cuts in CDC funding are compounding the problem.

It's too early to know how accurate those mortality rates are (could go up or down), and how much of a danger it is for the average healthy person.

The mortality rates will most liekly trend down, as with most outbreaks the most susceptible to the virus will unfortunately pass away. In this case, the most susceptible are the elderly and infants - the average healthy person will at most see cold/flu-like symptons.

3gc9lhqizbd41.jpg

The main concern with this virus is that it is highly contagious and since many won't show symptoms, it's hard to keep the virus controlled. However, there is to little to no concern for the average healthy person. To put it in perspective to previous outbreaks:

Few things to keep in mind with this graph because at first glance it can look worrisome; the spike in the graph is because Wuhan had a gathering of about 40,000 people when it still wasn't in the media's attention and China was still denying the virus, which is why the graph has spiked the way it has. I'll be surprised if this trend continues.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I guarantee Snopes is going to bring the hammer down on the beer thing in a day or two. Shit like that is primarily designed to be shared on social media so people can be smug about how much better they are than the average dummy. Then when the inevitable debunkings happen in a few days nobody notices because it's not clickable and everybody has moved on.

Reactions: wayninja

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The mortality rates will most liekly trend down, as with most outbreaks the most susceptible to the virus will unfortunately pass away. In this case, the most susceptible are the elderly and infants - the average healthy person will at most see cold/flu-like symptons.

3gc9lhqizbd41.jpg

The main concern with this virus is that it is highly contagious and since many won't show symptoms, it's hard to keep the virus controlled. However, there is to little to no concern for the average healthy person. To put it in perspective to previous outbreaks:

Few things to keep in mind with this graph because at first glance it can look worrisome; the spike in the graph is because Wuhan had a gathering of about 40,000 people when it still wasn't in the media's attention and China was still denying the virus, which is why the graph has spiked the way it has. I'll be surprised if this trend continues.

Yes that is my guess as well, but we should be careful about making too many predictions at this point.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Again, those of us living in a place that is already dealing with it have figured out it is only scary if you are immunocompromised or stupidly shun treatment. There was some initial panic by some in the population, but even that has calmed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Again, those of us living in a place that is already dealing with it have figured out it is only scary if you are immunocompromised or stupidly shun treatment. There was some initial panic by some in the population, but even that has calmed.

The biggest concern right now is contracting the virus, and then spreading it within the community among those who are immunocompromised.

The issue is how quickly it may spread and the fatality rate. Since the regular flu killed 80,000 people a couple years ago in the US alone (mostly immunocompromised as well) and this looks more deadly, then they want to make sure people are being smart right now so they can contain the spread as much as possible early on.

It's nothing to panic about, but people should be informed by the facts so they can react properly if necessary. From scientists, not politicians.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Nobody's saying everyone should panic and prepare for the end of days, but it's not right to pretend it's no big deal either. The WHO isn't in the habit of making a big deal over nothing. If they did, nobody would take them seriously if something REALLY bad came around.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
The biggest concern right now is contracting the virus, and then spreading it within the community among those who are immunocompromised.

The issue is how quickly it may spread and the fatality rate. Since the regular flu killed 80,000 people a couple years ago in the US alone (mostly immunocompromised as well) and this looks more deadly, then they want to make sure people are being smart right now so they can contain the spread as much as possible early on.

It's nothing to panic about, but people should be informed by the facts so they can react properly if necessary. From scientists, not politicians.

The peak death count for influenza in the US for a year is 61000, which is the estimate for 2017-2018 season (all numbers from that year are still estimates, subject to change). That was from 810000 cases that were hospitalized, and 45 million total cases. I wold be very surprised if that many in the US end up with Covid-19. Too many precautions are already being undertaken for that kind of spread.

Being smart, and being hysterical are two different things. I dealt with hysterical...the rush to buy up all the masks, hoarding food, cancelling EVERYTHING (even my IIHF CCOA tournament at the end of April is still in danger). Common sense....good hygiene, masks when they make sense, covering sneezes/coughs, and so on. That is being smart.

I get folks are worried. I am trying to provide perspective. When the virus first broke the news, my wife was in the hospital for back surgery. They were doing Code Whites for every suspected case that came in. We were scared (her especially so). But we have learned to chill about it.

Reactions: PAZ

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I wold be very surprised if that many in the US end up with Covid-19. Too many precautions are already being undertaken for that kind of spread.
Incorrect.

the US is woefully unprepared for this. Less than 500 people in the entire country have been tested. The state of California only has 200 kits for the entire state. There’s also questions about the kits even working properly. A report came out yesterday that said US hospitals only have 20-30% of the proper equipment (PPE) to even deal with an outbreak. South Korea is testing tens of thousands of people, and as a result, has kept their mortality rate below 1%.

Iran isn’t testing people, and are seeing mortality rates close to 15%.

the Trump administration has silenced all the experts, and won’t allow anyone in government to speak without it being cleared by the White House. Trump said he expects it to go away, and it will be a “miracle”. He put Pence in charge, who royally f***ed up the HIV crisis in his state when he was governor. It’s an absolute embarrassment that the US gov is acting this way.

this virus has a low mortality rate, but that’s exactly what makes it so dangerous. Most people don’t show symptoms, and walk around infecting people unknowingly. There are people walking around spreading this right now.

the gov has also offered no financial assistance for testing. The tests currently cost $3k.

if I sound like I’m being alarmist, it’s because I am.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The peak death count for influenza in the US for a year is 61000, which is the estimate for 2017-2018 season (all numbers from that year are still estimates, subject to change). That was from 810000 cases that were hospitalized, and 45 million total cases. I wold be very surprised if that many in the US end up with Covid-19. Too many precautions are already being undertaken for that kind of spread.

Being smart, and being hysterical are two different things. I dealt with hysterical...the rush to buy up all the masks, hoarding food, cancelling EVERYTHING (even my IIHF CCOA tournament at the end of April is still in danger). Common sense....good hygiene, masks when they make sense, covering sneezes/coughs, and so on. That is being smart.

I get folks are worried. I am trying to provide perspective. When the virus first broke the news, my wife was in the hospital for back surgery. They were doing Code Whites for every suspected case that came in. We were scared (her especially so). But we have learned to chill about it.

The original CDC estimates for 2017-2018 were 79,000 flu associated deaths in the US up until last week when they were apparently revised to 61,000. Again mostly the immunocompromised like the elderly and very young.

I think perspective is good, and most people are being too panicky, but you don't want to go too far and act like it's not a big deal or give the implication that it's just like the normal flu with a different name. That is what they told people during the Spanish Flu epidemic (even though they knew it wasn't true) which had about the same 2% fatality rate, and it caused people to not take it seriously, and likely led to more deaths than it needed to.

I don't think people should be overly panicked at this point, but we need to be careful about making predictions as to how many people could contract this. It's simply too early to know. There could be tens of thousands of people walking around with it, not even aware that they have it, and may not develop any strong symptoms, but they could spread it to those whose immune system isn't very strong and be an issue.

The US hasn't been as prepared as they should be for this, for a variety of reasons. Many of them due to political decisions and cuts to the CDC. They don't have enough adequate test kits to even test people so they can't diagnose them properly. The original test kits that were sent out were faulty and inconclusive and the States weren't allowed to use their own test kits they designed in house because it was declared a public health emergency, which meant they needed to be approved by the FDA.

Plus they sent US officials to Wuhan and other quarantined areas to help get evacuees out, but a whistleblower has alleged they didn't receive the proper training and weren't give the proper equipment to prevent contracting the disease themselves.

It's a bit of a mess right now, but that doesn't mean people need to panic. They just need to stay informed, and the government needs to make sure they're telling people the truth. Which is a concern at the moment, because of the president we have, and because he just called it a democrat hoax, since he's taking some heat for their response so far, and because it's affecting the stock market he takes credit for all the time.

FYI, most of the masks you see people wearing are pretty useless against this and most things. The N95 mask is what health professionals are suggesting, but they have to be properly fitted to work effectively. Not that I'm suggesting the average person needs to buy one.

In short, don't panic, wash your hands, and try to stay informed. If you're a healthy adult under 65 years old, there isn't anything right now to suggest you should be overly worried, but you should take precautions so you don't help spread it further to those with weaker immune systems who may be at risk.

Last edited:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The original CDC estimates for 2017-2018 were 79,000 flu associated deaths in the US up until last week when they were apparently revised to 61,000. Again mostly the immunocompromised like the elderly and very young.

I think perspective is good, and most people are being too panicky, but you don't want to go too far and act like it's not a big deal or give the implication that it's just like the normal flu with a different name. That is what they told people during the Spanish Flu epidemic (even though they knew it wasn't true) and it caused people to not take it seriously, and likely led to more deaths than it needed to.

I don't think people should be overly panicked at this point, but we need to be careful about making predictions as to how many people could contract this. It's simply too early to know. There could be tens of thousands of people walking around with it, not even aware that they have it, and may not develop any strong symptoms, but they could spread it to those whose immune system isn't very strong and be an issue.

The US hasn't been as prepared as they should be for this, for a variety of reasons. Many of them due to political decisions and cuts to the CDC. They don't have enough adequate test kits to even test people so they can't diagnose them properly. The original test kits that were sent out were faulty and inconclusive and the States weren't allowed to use their own test kits they designed in house because it was declared a public health emergency, which meant they needed to be approved by the FDA.

Plus they sent US officials to Wuhan and other quarantined areas to help get evacuees out, but a whistleblower has alleged they didn't receive the proper training and weren't give the proper equipment to prevent contracting the disease themselves.

It's a bit of a mess right now, but that doesn't mean people need to panic. They just need to stay informed, and the government needs to make sure they're telling people the truth. Which is a concern at the moment, because of the president we have, and because he just called it a democrat hoax, since he's taking some heat for their response so far, and because it's affecting the stock market he takes credit for all the time.

FYI, most of the masks you see people wearing are pretty useless against this and most things. The N95 mask is what health professionals are suggesting, but they have to be properly fitted to work effectively. Not that I'm suggesting the average person needs to buy one.

In short, don't panic, wash your hands, and try to stay informed. If you're a healthy adult under 65 years old, there isn't anything right now to suggest you should be overly worried, but you should take precautions so you don't help spread it further to those with weaker immune systems who may be at risk.
There’s 3 new cases of people having corona that aren’t related to the original patients. In 3 different states. It’s spreading

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There’s 3 new cases of people having corona that aren’t related to the original patients. In 3 different states. It’s spreading

That was going to happen eventually though. They believe it's fairly transmissible, and since it may affect the lower respiratory system more than the upper respiratory like a cold or the regular flu, some people might not develop noticeable symptoms like a runny nose or sore throat to let them know they're sick, so they may not isolate themselves when they're contagious.

Reactions: AvsFan29

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
You can do that with any discipline and get wrapped up in that world whether it be diseases, environment, social justice etc.
This virus isn’t your average flu. It’s a big issue that’s going to have huge effects on the economy

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You can do that with any discipline and get wrapped up in that world whether it be diseases, environment, social justice etc.

You shouldn't be afraid of becoming more informed by science and facts, because some people go too far down the rabbit hole, and lose perspective.

The other end of the spectrum of distrusting everything, or becoming gaslit and ignoring the world around us just leads to ignorance, and can be much more dangerous.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
You shouldn't be afraid of becoming more informed by science and facts, because some people go too far down the rabbit hole, and lose perspective.

The other end of the spectrum of distrusting everything, or becoming gaslit and ignoring the world around us just leads to ignorance, and can be much more dangerous.
Fully agree. My field is in the sciences so this is something I'm definitely cognizant of.

Am I personally fearful? No.

Do I think it's being overblown by the media? Yes.

Do I think it is a concern? Yes. But there's many things to he concerned about, and this isn't one that is registering too highly on my radar. Keeping an eye on it, but at this point I'm keeping clear of the rabbit hole.

If anything my biggest concern is my grandparents/elderly relatives.

Reactions: Foppa2118
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad