OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

With this tweet trying to paint a certain picture, I will point out that on the day of this tweet:

Sweden recorded it's highest EVER number of new cases.
(Actual new cases were probably higher in March when testing was less available)

And it's highest number of daily deaths in over 3 months
(That number was only 7. It is very easy to have an anomaly when numbers are that low and it was on a Tuesday, which is typically their highest day of the week, catching up over the weekend.)

Sweden's case numbers started trending up a few weeks ago. We can expect deaths to start to follow a similar trend, starting around now...and we are potentially starting to see signs of that

(other sources are saying that this trend continued today with an even higher number of new deaths and cases, but I am not 100% sure yet that they are using the same data as worldometers, so it's possible some of the data overlaps)

Reactions: MBH and Bench

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
This is a great Sam Harris interview with Nicholas Christakis. He clears up a lot of the nonsense about COVID, some of which we've seen in this thread!

Some background on Christakis:
Sterling Professor of Social and Natural Science, Internal Medicine & Biomedical Engineering
Education:
Ph.D., Sociology, University of Pennsylvania, 1995
M.D., Harvard Medical School, 1989
M.P.H., Harvard School of Public Health, 1988

Areas of Interest:
Network Science; Health, Medicine and Biosocial Science; Biodemography; Quantitative Methodology

Nicholas A. Christakis, MD, PhD, MPH, is a sociologist and physician who conducts research in the areas of social networks and biosocial science. He directs the Human Nature Lab.

His current research is mainly focused on two topics: (1) the social, mathematical, and biological rules governing how social networks form (“connection”), and (2) the social and biological implications of how they operate to influence thoughts, feelings, and behaviors (“contagion”). His lab uses both observational and experimental methods to study these phenomena, exploiting techniques from sociology, computer science, biosocial science, demography, statistics, behavior genetics, evolutionary biology, epidemiology, and other fields.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Ugh, my kindergarteners school just got shut down for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. Kid is gutted. They had one positive teacher helper and most of the teachers have to quarantine so there isn’t enough to hold in person classes. Still online supposedly.

That sucks. Although 2 weeks doesn't sound that bad.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That sucks. Although 2 weeks doesn't sound that bad.
These two seem appropriate:

images

Meme6.jpg

Reactions: FabricDetails

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
With this tweet trying to paint a certain picture, I will point out that on the day of this tweet:

Sweden recorded it's highest EVER number of new cases.
(Actual new cases were probably higher in March when testing was less available)

And it's highest number of daily deaths in over 3 months
(That number was only 7. It is very easy to have an anomaly when numbers are that low and it was on a Tuesday, which is typically their highest day of the week, catching up over the weekend.)

Sweden's case numbers started trending up a few weeks ago. We can expect deaths to start to follow a similar trend, starting around now...and we are potentially starting to see signs of that

(other sources are saying that this trend continued today with an even higher number of new deaths and cases, but I am not 100% sure yet that they are using the same data as worldometers, so it's possible some of the data overlaps)

We'll see. The seasonality of COVID does seem like it moves North/South. And it's been moving North.
On the other hand, it's some of the other European countries are getting smashed by deaths right now - not just cases.
Especially countries that were relatively unscathed by the first wave.
Poland, for one. Czech, for another.

Other countries, like the UK, have seen their death toll reach 20 percent of what it was back in April.

Michigan is at about 20 percent - and judging by current ICU/Ventilator stats growth - it's going to keep rising.

Sweden is at about 2 percent.

Fortunately, as bad as the picture looks in Michigan and other regions right now... COVID-19's ramp up is nowhere near as fast as it was in March.

And there is NO DOUBT - actual cases were FAR higher back in the spring. That's why "record cases" is a f***ing joke.
Hospitalizations. Deaths. Positive Test %.
Those are the numbers I follow.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
well, my temporary crown just came off. Kind of sucks. Get the permanent crown tomorrow regardless but it wouldn't have been the worst thing for the temp to have lasted another 15 hours.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I caught a sickness my niece and nephew caught in daycare. Luckily it seems to be the common cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad