OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So Theo Epstein just stepped down in Chicago.

Go get him, Chris!
Did he resign due to coronavirus :sarcasm:

In my mind (as a cubs fans) this was obvious, Theo wasn't about to be a lame duck GM.

Edit: whoops :)

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Did he resign die to coronavirus :sarcasm:

In my mind (as a cubs fans) this was obvious, Theo wasn't about to be a lame duck GM.

He is resigned to die from Coronavirus.

Theo Epstein is depressed, I guess.

Also, a bunch of random people saw “Epstein” and they ran him out of town too. Thought he was having some kind of parties

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
He is resigned to die from Coronavirus.

Theo Epstein is depressed, I guess.

Also, a bunch of random people saw “Epstein” and they ran him out of town too. Thought he was having some kind of parties
I don't know who that is but I know he didn't kill himself.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
when 100 percent of the population has to follow it accordingly
Guys why are we talking about "100 percent following the rules"? Covid mitigation is not all-or-nothing. Partial measures are useful.

Every disease has a spread rate. R0 tells you how many people, on average, one sick person will spread the disease to. If that number is greater than 1, the disease's prevalence is growing, and the higher it gets the more out of control things are. If the number drops below 1, the disease doesn't disappear instantly but it's under control.

Every damn thing we do changes that number. If 10% of the population stops eating indoors at restaurants, that number decreases. If 50% stop eating indoors at restaurants, it decreases more. If people wear masks, it decreases. If more people wear better masks, it decreases more.

That number directly affects how many rooms are being used at the hospital, which directly affects deaths. The lower the number is, the lower the chance I have of catching it any given time I have to do my grocery shopping. The lower the number is, the fewer people will be sick one week from now.

If most people just refuse to follow the guidelines, well, first of all there are things you can do to compel them (fines, jail). But second of all, doing your part individually is still helping the overall goal, which is decreasing that goddamn R0 number as much as you possibly can with or without the help of others.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't know who that is but I know he didn't kill himself.
He's the guy that broke the Bambino and Billy Goat curses. One of the most successful sports executives in the new millennium, though he only won those 2 championships.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Guys why are we talking about "100 percent following the rules"? Covid mitigation is not all-or-nothing. Partial measures are useful.

Every disease has a spread rate. R0 tells you how many people, on average, one sick person will spread the disease to. If that number is greater than 1, the disease's prevalence is growing, and the higher it gets the more out of control things are. If the number drops below 1, the disease doesn't disappear instantly but it's under control.

Every damn thing we do changes that number. If 10% of the population stops eating indoors at restaurants, that number decreases. If 50% stop eating indoors at restaurants, it decreases more. If people wear masks, it decreases. If more people wear better masks, it decreases more.

That number directly affects how many rooms are being used at the hospital, which directly affects deaths. The lower the number is, the lower the chance I have of catching it any given time I have to do my grocery shopping. The lower the number is, the fewer people will be sick one week from now.

If most people just refuse to follow the guidelines, well, first of all there are things you can do to compel them (fines, jail). But second of all, doing your part individually is still helping the overall goal, which is decreasing that goddamn R0 number as much as you possibly can with or without the help of others.

I genuinely appreciate the appreciation for nuance in your post.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Scary you even think like this.

*Pfft* Coming from the guy who thinks the guv-mint is pushing a permanent mask mandate, Fauci is undermining our democracy and people who support basic steps to curb a pandemic must want the most extreme measures taken, i.e. welding, military check points, blah-blahhhhhhhhh.

I'm eagerly waiting to hear how Fauci rigged the election to save his job and continue his nefarious plot of societal mask wearing subservience.

Reactions: Bench

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What?

Are you scared that I also think drunk driving should be punished by fines/jail?

Yes.

I will say we have to keep eyes open when guidelines do come down. Not "My freedumbs!" But giving away rights a little at a time is a worry. The line between reasonable steps to take and overboard is much closer than we think. Vigilance is what we need.

We need individual citizens to take it seriously and take actions to limit the spread.

I get it. I just don't understand who they think is going to frequent their restaurants, order or no order.
How many can survive at 40 percent capacity or whatever they were limited to?

Damn good point.

Reactions: Red Stanley

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Saw this on a list of fun internet questions:

Would you rather...?

-Hit a homerun as a pitcher.
-Score a goal as a hockey/soccer goalie
-Score a touchdown as a lineman
-Make a halfcourt shot as a "classic" basketball center

My first sports love is basketball so that inherently gets consideration from me but I gotta go with scoring a goal as a hockey goalie. Also this answer comes from someone whose appreciation level for the sports of baseball and football is at a 1 or 2 while the other sports are at a 10.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Should authority figures caught in hypocrisy be taken to task? Absolutely. But that's a very different thing than saying that if authorities can't always follow the rules, then the rules themselves must be dumb/bad/unacceptable.

I mean, I'm sure that each of the family members, friends, teachers, and other authority figures that taught me not to lie, cheat, or steal have committed one or more of those acts during the course of their lives. But that doesn't mean those guidelines are inappropriate and I now have the green light to lie, cheat, and steal to my heart's content.

People are imperfect. But that will never be a reason to stop trying to do the right thing.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Yes.

We need individual citizens to take it seriously and take actions to limit the spread.

Damn good point.

That's a real tall order. I just watched an interview with a nurse from South Dakota who said she treated peoole who didn't believe Covid was real as they were dying from it. I know that's an exception rather a norm, but it does not appeal to my hopeful side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad