Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
This article suggests what I've been saying all along, that this is the new normal until there is a vaccine:
Scientists warn we may need to live with social distancing for a year or more

The home quarantine of almost everybody thing is highly unlikely to be the new norm, for more than the next however many months at least.

Social distancing though - absolutely. There's things that hopefully will be able to make this more tolerable after the first deadly waves go through.

* Plasma donating from recovered patients is sounding positive so far. Even if it does work great, on what scale can this be implemented to help the population as a whole, though?

* What about hydoxychloroquin? There's been some early encouraging signs in tests. Other drugs are being tested. I saw Germany is testing a Tuberculosis drug. Even if they don't find a drug to cure or stop this...if they find one to mitigate the damage, survival rates can hopefully go up significantly.

* As RTR said above, once tests are readily available and can test for antibodies as well, society can pinpoint who to quarantine and who to let out of their cage. Right now it's a free for all, because the government was caught with their pants down and doesn't have sufficient tests to work through this pandemic.

Reactions: RayP

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The home quarantine of almost everybody thing is highly unlikely to be the new norm, for more than the next however many months at least.

Social distancing though - absolutely. There's things that hopefully will be able to make this more tolerable after the first deadly waves go through.

* Plasma donating from recovered patients is sounding positive so far. Even if it does work great, on what scale can this be implemented to help the population as a whole, though?

* What about hydoxychloroquin? There's been some early encouraging signs in tests. Other drugs are being tested. I saw Germany is testing a Tuberculosis drug. Even if they don't find a drug to cure or stop this...if they find one to mitigate the damage, survival rates can hopefully go up significantly.

* As RTR said above, once tests are readily available and can test for antibodies as well, society can pinpoint who to quarantine and who to let out of their cage. Right now it's a free for all, because the government was caught with their pants down and doesn't have sufficient tests to work through this pandemic.

Someone from the former poli board posted an interesting podcast with a virologist discussing the different treatments and their challenges. Megaphone: A Modern Podcasting Platform

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Weren't you prattling about Blue states getting short shrift? Not worth worrying about the 35% who will hate him no matter what.

Ironic, huh?

If you still love Trump at this point, you're either a racist, or a moron. There's really no alternative. I have two acquaintances that are still supporting him, out of around 20 people I know that voted for him.

No, it's not worth worrying about those people.

And justifying Trump giving Republican states preferential treatment with that comment? Wtf is wrong with you?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So who else has come across associates, friends, or whatever that you might cut ties with?

I've come a few so far. My favorite so far is someone who said it should just be survival of the fittest out there right now, Trump has done a great job, and the Vegas massacre was an inside job by the NSA all in in a span of about 90 seconds.

It's certainly opened my eyes up to how many idiots this country has living in it.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Weren't you prattling about Blue states getting short shrift? Not worth worrying about the 35% who will hate him no matter what.

Ironic, huh?

What does this mean? It seems like you’re saying a president is justified in letting certain portions of the population he serves die because they don’t support him politically.

I’m hoping I’m reading that wrong, and just wondering if you can clarify.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
If you still love Trump at this point, you're either a racist, or a moron. There's really no alternative. I have two acquaintances that are still supporting him, out of around 20 people I know that voted for him.

His comment was word salad. MM seemed to be implying that my opinion re: strategy for November somehow justifies the president withholding medical equipment from blue states. It’s such a silly comment that I don’t know what more to do with it.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I never wrote off any segment of our population, that was your crew about 4 years ago if memory serves.

I have friends and family who voted for and support Trump. I vehemently disagree with them about that, but they’re still my friends and family and I love and care about them.

Just because people think Trump is bad for this country doesn’t mean they hate the people who voted for Trump.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I have two acquaintances that are still supporting him, out of around 20 people I know that voted for him.

Now anecdotal evidence becomes all powerful, eh.

You guys will twist, contort and basically do whatever it takes including calling people irredeemable and not worth worrying about. A lot of people didn't vote for Trump last time because they were apprehensive. Since he has fulfilled many campaign promises, they will turn out this time. Big time. But you didn't hear that here.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I have friends and family who voted for and support Trump. I vehemently disagree with them about that, but they’re still my friends and family and I love and care about them.

Just because people think Trump is bad for this country doesn’t mean they hate the people who voted for Trump.

I don't think your position is representative of many posters.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

You guys will twist, contort and basically do whatever it takes including calling people irredeemable and not worth worrying about. A lot of people didn't vote for Trump last time because they were apprehensive. Since he has fulfilled many campaign promises, they will turn out this time. Big time. But you didn't hear that here.

“Not worth worrying about” trying to get their votes because it’s a lost cause is the same as “not worth worrying about” as far as getting medical equipment to people dying in hospitals?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Fulfilled campaign promises like repealing/replacing Obamacare and building a wall that another country would, for some odd reason, pay for? But hey, he gave tax cuts to the rich, so apparently that's good enough for you.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The swing states decide the election. Unfortunately Trump has a good chance to get back in because the democratic party can’t put out a legit candidate. Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden? I mean come on, its pathetic really when your choice comes down to Trump or Biden

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Oh, this should be awesome. What campaign promises has he fulfilled? I'd like a detailed list.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
This is despicable on so many levels. Several countries are complaining about people hijacking PPE shipments, and blaming the United States right now. Seeing this, it has to make you wonder how many of those claims are true?

It’s worse than that. The Trump admin is refusing to coordinate the purchase/distribution of equipment and supplies among states, and is instead allocating inventory to his cronies who are making a fortune off the bidding wars between the states. (NY is paying a 1500% markup for some equipment).

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It’s worse than that. The Trump admin is refusing to coordinate the purchase/distribution of equipment and supplies among states, and is instead allocating inventory to his cronies who are making a fortune off the bidding wars between the states. (NY is paying a 1500% markup for some equipment).

They couldn't possibly be that bold, devious, and transparent, could they? I'd love to see someone track these medical supplies back to where they were originally purchased, and put two and two together...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad