Corona Virus Thread Part 3 of ? (MOD NOTE IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2

F1.medium.gif

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Reactions: sipowicz

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Seems to me I can avoid the absolutely tiny risk of potentially infecting someone with a virus I am almost certainly not carrying by simply turning my head and holding my breath for a few seconds while I pass them at the grocery store - which is something I do religiously because I don't want the virus from them either - and so avoid the annoyance and discomfort (which is a real thing) of masking up for almost no reason.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It's a bit odd that many who are strong advocates of opening things up also seem the least likely to support the use of masks. Wearing a mask doesn't affect businesses or economic activity, and in fact could limit spread and improve conditions for opening up. When it comes to limiting an epidemic, every action that reduces the probability of transmission will have an impact, so it makes sense to use tactics that are less consequential for economic activity.
I've noticed this as well.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It's a bit odd that many who are strong advocates of opening things up also seem the least likely to support the use of masks. Wearing a mask doesn't affect businesses or economic activity, and in fact could limit spread and improve conditions for opening up. When it comes to limiting an epidemic, every action that reduces the probability of transmission will have an impact, so it makes sense to use tactics that are less consequential for economic activity.
Are we still past epidemic threshold with 14 cases in the province? That's 1/98000

At the end of the day, it comes down to perceived threat. I look at that stat and think that the chances of ANY of us being an asymptomatic carrier is beyond miniscule. You're a math guy... 3 confirmed cases in the past two weeks. How many people can possibly be walking around asymptomatically? Even then, that study I posted recently brings the entire question of asymptomatically infected being able to spread at all (or at the very least less efficiently than symptomatically).

Furthermore, why don't we wear masks for the flu? 29 deaths last year... could be as many as 50 some years. Maybe we should wear helmets when we drive, or better yet not drive at all. I can guarantee that at this point you're more likely to injure someone by causing an MVA while driving safely than inecting someone with covid.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
You'll see things the way you want to, and call anyone who sees them differently as "disinforming" people. Must be nice to have a monopoly on the truth. Enjoy your day.

Neither you nor I own the truth. The truth is the truth, whether you or I like it and believe it or not.

Thanks for the well wishes. Be well, my brother. Stay safe.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
You want to know who's a threat? Elderly people. That's who! lol. I just had a couple come in the shop here (now that we're open again) to look at some things and while they were sweet old folks, they obviously had not one clue about what they were doing in terms of social distancing...and they barely spoke English. The old guy would get right in my face and try to be funny and I'd back away a few feet and he'd move a few feet towards me. Pretty unnerving...and no, no masks on them.

Reactions: Gm0ney and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You want to know who's a threat? Elderly people. That's who! lol. I just had a couple come in the shop here (now that we're open again) to look at some things and while they were sweet old folks, they obviously had not one clue about what they were doing in terms of social distancing...and they barely spoke English. The old guy would get right in my face and try to be funny and I'd back away a few feet and he'd move a few feet towards me. Pretty unnerving...and no, no masks on them.
I'm walking by the front of the store this morning and a older guy standing in line waiting to get in does the big suck in of snot, just a great sound, and SPITS . I stopped and said to him "are you kidding , you ever hear about this pandemic thing going on right now?" He just gave me a dirty look and turned around. Un f***ing believable.:shakehead A lady came over to me in the store and said thank-you for saying something to that man. Common sense is alot of what we need right now and so many people are in very short supply.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Just carry one of these on you at all times. :nod:

e315c72615fd7b593b9ca101ca8e7289.gif

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems to me I can avoid the absolutely tiny risk of potentially infecting someone with a virus I am almost certainly not carrying by simply turning my head and holding my breath for a few seconds while I pass them at the grocery store - which is something I do religiously because I don't want the virus from them either - and so avoid the annoyance and discomfort (which is a real thing) of masking up for almost no reason.
"Almost no reason" Really? Sorry, but that's an incredibly selfish point of view.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Brief exchanges between people, such as passing by them in a store or on the sidewalk are extremely low risk, unless they sneeze or cough in your face. I think symptomatic people who go out in public at all are far more selfish than the evil non-mask wearers.

Outside of medical situations, masks should be worn in situations where prolonged face to face contact is necessary and where social distancing can’t always be accomplished. Indoors being much more important.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
What do y’all make of this:

El Salvador’s president is no Trump wannabe/admirer. He’s kind of a Trudeau type from what I’ve read of him so I see no political agenda for him to falsely make this claim.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

El Salvador’s president is no Trump wannabe/admirer. He’s kind of a Trudeau type from what I’ve read of him so I see no political agenda for him to falsely make this claim.

There was an argument to try chloroquine in the ealiest stages of the pandemic--when no one knew how infectious and lethal the virus was--because of its in vitro activity against SARS-COV. But now that we know it doesn't work clinically, could be dangerous and that social distancing* is a much more potent, cheap, accessible and safe prophylactic, it makes utterly no sense.
But it sure beats oral or IV Lysol!

edit: *and having others in proximity wear masks when that is not possible, despite the terrible inconvenience :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Are we still past epidemic threshold with 14 cases in the province? That's 1/98000

At the end of the day, it comes down to perceived threat. I look at that stat and think that the chances of ANY of us being an asymptomatic carrier is beyond miniscule. You're a math guy... 3 confirmed cases in the past two weeks. How many people can possibly be walking around asymptomatically? Even then, that study I posted recently brings the entire question of asymptomatically infected being able to spread at all (or at the very least less efficiently than symptomatically).

Furthermore, why don't we wear masks for the flu? 29 deaths last year... could be as many as 50 some years. Maybe we should wear helmets when we drive, or better yet not drive at all. I can guarantee that at this point you're more likely to injure someone by causing an MVA while driving safely than inecting someone with covid.
Risk is very low now. I agree. When there is more virus circulating would you agree that it would be better for people to wear a mask? At what epidemic level do you think people should start wearing masks?

To my earlier point, if you're not concerned for your personal risk, or the risk to others, what about the benefit to wearing masks for the economy? If people are seriously concerned about the economy, wouldn't the best idea be to use measures that keep the epidemic controlled and therefore businesses open, while causing minimal inconvenience to most individuals?

Perhaps we should wear a mask during bad flu seasons, particularly as a routine in hospitals and personal care homes. Better yet, get a flu vaccine. How many people who talk about the death toll from influenza now actually get vaccinated against the flu to limit transmission?

If motor vehicle accidents were infectious, and wearing a helmet could keep the number of MVA deaths from escalating into the thousands, then wearing a helmet would be prudent, wouldn't it?

Reactions: Gm0ney

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I saw a response to this from some doctors on a news network I'll leave nameless. It was about Trump, not the El Salvador guy.

The studies right now say that it isn't preventing getting COVID. Thus far it looks like no benefit if you have it, but let's say that's still being studied.

The potential side effects for someone like Trump are going to be drastically mitigated because he has immediate access to 24 hr health care. He can be monitored daily by his doctor and any changes in his condition will be tracked and dealt with right away.

People like you or I don't have this luxury. Therefore, the potential side effects are much more hazardous to you and I. Compound this by someone in the US who may not be able to visit their GP because of having lost health insurance due to job loss,or not having it in the first place.

It's hazardous for it to be promoted to Joe Public because they don't have access to the same monitoring that world leaders do. The studies seem to be saying that it provides no benefit at all for COVID-19.

Reactions: Jets 31

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Risk is very low now. I agree. When there is more virus circulating would you agree that it would be better for people to wear a mask? At what epidemic level do you think people should start wearing masks?

To my earlier point, if you're not concerned for your personal risk, or the risk to others, what about the benefit to wearing masks for the economy? If people are seriously concerned about the economy, wouldn't the best idea be to use measures that keep the epidemic controlled and therefore businesses open, while causing minimal inconvenience to most individuals?

Perhaps we should wear a mask during bad flu seasons, particularly as a routine in hospitals and personal care homes. Better yet, get a flu vaccine. How many people who talk about the death toll from influenza now actually get vaccinated against the flu to limit transmission?

If motor vehicle accidents were infectious, and wearing a helmet could keep the number of MVA deaths from escalating into the thousands, then wearing a helmet would be prudent, wouldn't it?
Honestly I don't know when I would consider wearing a mask. If I were in a subway in NYC I'd throw one on - or traveling in a place where there are widespread confirmed infections and I'm in a contained space where id be within spittle distance of others. I don't see much of a point of wearing one outside. Also, if I suspected I had been infected or exposed to someone who is/was infected, I would certainly wear one around others.

My point with the car accidents on one hand has to do with being analogous to over-mitigating an insignificant risk (the idea of wearing a helmet when driving), while on the other the idea of causing harm to someone else through your actions (which you're more likely to do on your way home from than infecting someone with covid while at costco). I probably wansn't clear.... my metaphors and analogies always seem to be less than perfect.

I could have seen the benefits of masks early on in the epidemic here - say mid March to mid April. Like you said, keep businesses open but require masks. That makes sense, and would have helped certain portions of the economy (although restaurants would have still been pooched). Wearing one now, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad