OT: Corona virus thread-7 months later we're still screwed (MOD: NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
We had the table thing too in the summer when clubs opened, but you weren't forced to sit there. It was just that the club couldn't take in more people than the seating capacity they had, which really isn't that great since most clubs have those cramped sofa things.
Even if the club opening here was supposed to be within the restrictions, it is pretty obvious that compliance is difficult when the business is to get people drunk and dumb. So I won't pretend it was a good idea, just that I don't blame the authorities for it. :)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
WOW.
So as another "precaution", the government announces tonight at 11 p.m. that all Czech students housed on university campuses need to move out by Wednesday, unless they have a job at the uni. So they have about 25 hours to leave, provided they read/heard the evening news.
That's... something.

The uni just sent an email, "deeply sorry the government screwed you but please all get lost". Not their fault but WTF?!!! Like, at least give people a few days???

Doesn't affect me personally but I have a number of friends who it does.

EDIT: And first friend just posting on facebook - "Please, does anyone have a free space in their flat where I could live for a few weeks?" Wonder how many more there'll be by morning. Genius.

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I'm so mad. Do they even give a crap that some of these people don't have another place to live? Answer: obviously not.
I mean, most people that do have another option already left a few weeks ago because why stay at campus when there's no lessons and everything's closed.
WTF.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
WOW.
So as another "precaution", the government announces tonight at 11 p.m. that all Czech students housed on university campuses need to move out by Wednesday, unless they have a job at the uni. So they have about 25 hours to leave, provided they read/heard the evening news.
That's... something.

The uni just sent an email, "deeply sorry the government screwed you but please all get lost". Not their fault but WTF?!!! Like, at least give people a few days???

Doesn't affect me personally but I have a number of friends who it does.

EDIT: And first friend just posting on facebook - "Please, does anyone have a free space in their flat where I could live for a few weeks?" Wonder how many more there'll be by morning. Genius.
That's a terrible decision, the only positive that I can think of is preventing students from meeting each other in large groups. I'm glad we don't have any student apartments here on campus property, or owned by the university for that matter. :help:

This also sounds really counterproductive, say your parents live on the other side of the country, you now have to travel by bus or train (most likely, since most students can't either afford, or don't see the need to have a car) and risk catching the virus..

Reactions: Fixxer

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
That's a terrible decision, the only positive that I can think of is preventing students from meeting each other in large groups. I'm glad we don't have any student apartments here on campus property, or owned by the university for that matter. :help:

This also sounds really counterproductive, say your parents live on the other side of the country, you now have to travel by bus or train (most likely, since most students can't either afford, or don't see the need to have a car) and risk catching the virus..
It's completely idiotic.
My best friend would have been this situation if I didn't get a job at the Academy this September - she got old my job at the uni. Otherwise, she'd be heading back home today to her immunocompromised mother (and the rest of her deeply abusive family, but that's another topic...)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It's completely idiotic.
My best friend would have been this situation if I didn't get a job at the Academy this September - she got old my job at the uni. Otherwise, she'd be heading back home today to her immunocompromised mother (and the rest of her deeply abusive family, but that's another topic...)
Same thing happened to me in NYC: I petitioned through my PhD director and got free housing after grad housing was shut down

Btw- I never responded to your last post; my doctorate is in finance

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Same thing happened to me in NYC: I petitioned through my PhD director and got free housing after grad housing was shut down

Btw- I never responded to your last post; my doctorate is in finance
Glad you figured out your housing situation.

I get that they're trying to prevent students from gathering, but giving them one day to find an alternative living place is awful.
It's just like spring - back then, they announced at 9 p.m. that all cars needed to be removed from the town centers by 6 a.m. (No idea what the logic was on that, but whatever...) So you had nine hours to move your car, when you might have already had a drink or be in a different part of town, with public transport shut down at 1 a.m. And that's if you even heard the news...

At least we have our empathic president, though. He went on TV saying that all businesses that go bankrupt are simply run by lousy owners, that in history, actors, singers and other artists always made their best art hungry, and that prissy intelectuals should just shut up and read a fairytale book. Not kidding and not exaggerating.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Glad you figured out your housing situation.

I get that they're trying to prevent students from gathering, but giving them one day to find an alternative living place is awful.
It's just like spring - back then, they announced at 9 p.m. that all cars needed to be removed from the town centers by 6 a.m. (No idea what the logic was on that, but whatever...) So you had nine hours to move your car, when you might have already had a drink or be in a different part of town, with public transport shut down at 1 a.m. And that's if you even heard the news...

At least we have our empathic president, though. He went on TV saying that all businesses that go bankrupt are simply run by lousy owners, that in history, actors, singers and other artists always made their best art hungry, and that prissy intelectuals should just shut up and read a fairytale book. Not kidding and not exaggerating.
Yeah schools are generally incompetent: it was like 4 days at my school. Do you know if there might be public uses for the housing that require it? When NYC looked most dire, the thought was that my school’s housing could be used patients and there were some rumors that the governor requested it.

This pandemic is so bizarre in how it shows how weak our political conscience has been: in the US, one side essentially lives in complete fear of Covid (usually) and the other does not take it seriously (usually), which leads to bad outcomes. I’ve yet to hear anyone here just say (a) avoid unnecessary stuff, (b) wear a damn mask; (c) avoid large groups, and (d) try to normalize life as much as possible. Instead I’ve mainly seen self-contradiction

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Yeah schools are generally incompetent: it was like 4 days at my school. Do you know if there might be public uses for the housing that require it? When NYC looked most dire, the thought was that my school’s housing could be used patients and there were some rumors that the governor requested it.

This pandemic is so bizarre in how it shows how weak our political conscience has been: in the US, one side essentially lives in complete fear of Covid (usually) and the other does not take it seriously (usually), which leads to bad outcomes. I’ve yet to hear anyone here just say (a) avoid unnecessary stuff, (b) wear a damn mask; (c) avoid large groups, and (d) try to normalize life as much as possible. Instead I’ve mainly seen self-contradiction
It's not the schools - it's the government. The schools (or at least my school) feel bad about it but government issued the order so they have to comply.

My uni has actually been wonderful about the whole thing since January - keeping people informed, trying to find compromises with the government, quality online lectures, online exams including written exams, programs for teachers to help them with online lessons, free masks by building entrance, heck, they installed hand sanitizers everywhere around campus in early February, when the first confirmed Covid case in the country was in March. I've criticized the university a few times over the years but if the state was running things even 25% as well as the uni has been, we're not in this mess right now :(

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It's not the schools - it's the government. The schools (or at least my school) feel bad about it but government issued the order so they have to comply.

My uni has actually been wonderful about the whole thing since January - keeping people informed, trying to find compromises with the government, quality online lectures, online exams including written exams, programs for teachers to help them with online lessons, free masks by building entrance, heck, they installed hand sanitizers everywhere around campus in early February, when the first confirmed Covid case in the country was in March. I've criticized the university a few times over the years but if the state was running things even 25% as well as the uni has been, we're not in this mess right now :(
Ah in the US, both were incompetent even the name brand schools :(

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
So my country is maybe two weeks away from health care collapse (we're already building temporary military hospitals, begging back doctors from retirement and calling on students who have studied something even remotely close to medicine) and some idiots organize this big protest against "corona-dictatorship" - no masks, obviously no social distancing, instead they attacked the police and made a big destructive "party" in the capital.

This is fun.

I'm watching this video and there's some disturbing level of police violence... and I'm not even sure I disapprove? Like, it's nasty and terrible but why are these people even there? And why are they throwing stuff?

Also my grandma's dying of brain cancer and half of us are quarantined while the other half is worried that they might be infectious.

Last edited:
Reactions: IM Clutcm

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
So my country is maybe two weeks away from health care collapse (we're already building temporary military hospitals, begging back doctors from retirement and calling on students who have studied something even remotely close to medicine) and some idiots organize this big protest against "corona-dictatorship" - no masks, obviously no social distancing, instead they attacked the police and made a big destructive "party" in the capital.

This is fun.

I'm watching this video and there's some disturbing level of police violence... and I'm not even sure I disapprove? Like, it's nasty and terrible but why are these people even there? And why are they throwing stuff?

Also my grandma's dying of brain cancer and half of us are quarantined while the other half is worried that they might be infectious.
Sorry to hear that. That is a terribly frustrating aspect of this situation.

Reactions: Fixxer

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
And we have lockdown ("soft" lockdown at this point, still allowed to go to work and some non-groceries shopping).
Also my uncle is corona positive.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
So back in December 2019 my uncle had his 60th birthday and my mom and her brothers thought they would throw him a surprise party. They never get to see him as much because he lives in the US.

There was some concern on their part, as he worked at High-up job at General Motors, and he had to travel, I think seven times in 2019 to oversee factory in Wuhan China. He became sick at times with the respiratory illness. No one thought anything of it.

End of December 2019, most of his siblings went down to have a surprise birthday party for him. Eventually in mid January, the people who were at the party discovered after talking to one another that they each had become ill the week following the party. Tight chest, hard to breathe, mild fevers. But they all had it for a few days and then it went away.

Someone can see how COVID-19 has spread throughout the world.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
The tragicomedy continues: we're about to have the third Minister of Health in five weeks.
This one was photographed at night eating at a restaurant (which are closed) and walking around mask-free, thus being forced to resign immediately. As idiotic and extremely disrespectful to everyone as it was, this is really not the time to bring in yet another replacement. Kinda wondering who told the paparazzi - seems unlikely they'd have been there by pure chance.
This would all be hilarious if it wasn't real life and happening in my country.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
That sucks man.

Hopefully you guys see a drop and can slowly return to a "normal".

Kind of funny though how some make the rules but don't follow the rules.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Been working from home for 7 months and a week now because of illnesses that put me at a bigger risk.
It is so dull and I put on loads of weight due to no walking to work and no daily ping-pong during breaks. I have almost worked off that weight though.

I work in customer service which truly is a team effort and it is weird not hearing my colleagues and not being able to lean over and talk to them.

This sucks big time, but I've still got my job!

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
cases here are rising. boston public schools shut down earlier in the week. last night MA hockey announced a 2-week pause. all rinks are closed. seems there have been a few flare-ups coming from youth hockey programs.

haven't seen a major rise in inpatient hospitalizations where i work but that could be coming.

hockey has become a big part of my 5yo's identity (much to my delight). he's playing in his 2nd year of mites. he's a little rink rat. stuck around last night after his practice to shoot on the half-dozen goalies at our program's goalie practice.

as soon as one practice or game is over, he's counting the days to the next one. having hockey back has been so big for his psyche.

didn't have the heart to tell him this AM about the pause. if the community doesn't get its act together in terms of compliance, the next shut-down will probably be a long one. that'll really hurt.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
An unfortunate bump

Monday will Mark two years since my bone marrow stem cell transplant procedure was completed. My immune system should be back to 100%.

I most definitely will continue to practice good hygiene habits. One thing this procedure taught me was that it pays to listen to health professionals and do what they say. Knock on wood, this procedure has been going swimmingly. I have not had any medical setbacks whatsoever.

To have my life totally change for 2 years seems like a lot at first. I right away just broke it down into segments, and it's not so bad.

I wish people could be patient and listen to those who know what they're talking about.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
An unfortunate bump

Monday will Mark two years since my bone marrow stem cell transplant procedure was completed. My immune system should be back to 100%.

I most definitely will continue to practice good hygiene habits. One thing this procedure taught me was that it pays to listen to health professionals and do what they say. Knock on wood, this procedure has been going swimmingly. I have not had any medical setbacks whatsoever.

To have my life totally change for 2 years seems like a lot at first. I right away just broke it down into segments, and it's not so bad.

I wish people could be patient and listen to those who know what they're talking about.

Good to hear man!

Reactions: Cold Cat

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Figured the whole season restart discussion should go here instead of the prospects thread.

My thought is that the cba deal is to split revenue 50/50, and the escrow is just there to help make sure that happens. Whether the players like it or not, they will have to take a hit from the reduced revenues. So I don't understand why they wouldn't do they best to work with the owners and ensure a season gets started, unless they are really intent on screwing the league that they all need to actually earn their millions.

So I agree with dreadclaws that the players will have to bend on this one. And in my view it's not even really bending, it's doing what's in their best long term interest. Having either a lost season or a bunch of teams with huge losses is not healthy for the league and would be a stupid path to choose by the players.

Besides, I just don't think the players union is as powerful as they used to be. The players are making a lot of money and they know they have it good. Hockey is their only way to make lots of money. Team owners have other ways to make money and if they really wanted to could also just sell their team for hundreds of millions.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Figured the whole season restart discussion should go here instead of the prospects thread.

My thought is that the cba deal is to split revenue 50/50, and the escrow is just there to help make sure that happens. Whether the players like it or not, they will have to take a hit from the reduced revenues. So I don't understand why they wouldn't do they best to work with the owners and ensure a season gets started, unless they are really intent on screwing the league that they all need to actually earn their millions.

So I agree with dreadclaws that the players will have to bend on this one. And in my view it's not even really bending, it's doing what's in their best long term interest. Having either a lost season or a bunch of teams with huge losses is not healthy for the league and would be a stupid path to choose by the players.

Besides, I just don't think the players union is as powerful as they used to be. The players are making a lot of money and they know they have it good. Hockey is their only way to make lots of money. Team owners have other ways to make money and if they really wanted to could also just sell their team for hundreds of millions.
I don’t remember fully but I believe the debate when the money should be paid back: right now if more is owed than escrow, money is taken in future years.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
And that is what it comes down to, and why the season might be cancelled. The players might not budge. But even Friedman said when both sides agreed to the escrow split in the summer, he heard some owners were hesitant about what it might mean for down the road. Well then why did you sign off on it???? I don't understand the owners on that one. I do feel the players are in the right here....but at the end of the day it's simple finances. The players need to get paid. Most of them are just hockey players, they have other business ventures. They need to play hockey to get paid. Owners, on the other hand, are going to lose money once they agree to play again. In fact 68% of players salaries have to be paid up front. So they really don't have as vested of an interest in playing this season as the players do(putting long term values of the franchises aside). And the owners seem like they are not going to budge on this one. They are adamant that the escrow sharing has to be renegotiated. So the players are going to have to give money back. And you add in the fact that almost 1/3 of owners want to tank the season, and according to Friedman some of these teams are big influential teams not the Arizonas and Carolinas, well it's definitely not gonna get off the rails until these owners feel like they're getting a fair split.

So why would the players be concerned about paying back through escrow? An average NHL career is 5 years. Majority of players will not even be in the league in seven years when the deal is up, so why should they care? NHL just agreed to a contract in July. In the middle of a pandemic. Why wouldn't something be done about this then?
Players only have a short time to earn money in their life. So they should receive 100% of the payment they've agreed to with the owners. Billion dollar owners crying poor, I don't like it. Just like baseball, show me your books.

Plus when you break it all down, players are taking all the risk here. You can't make money if your dead. We're in the middle of the pandemic!

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
And Quaranteeeene!!! Yay.... :(

Multiple people sick at work including some I've been in contact with so as of this afternoon I'm at home office. "Watch yourself and if you feel sick come Tuesday, go get tested."

But after 15,000 cases per day, we're down to "only" 5,000 new cases per day (10 million population) so the government officially eased the restrictions today...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad