Post-Game Talk: Corner turned?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I have time for Drouin on a club still desperate for scoring help on wings. He's a lot better that Pulju/Yam/Foegele options. Guy doesn't play with good players and still puts up solid points. He has a lot of pressure on him playing where he does and I think moving to a non-francophone team would be a blessing for him.
I dont think Drouin is that good. What can he do? Control the puck? What about battle for it?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Drouin is finished, like right side of the bell curve, finished. I wouldn’t waste time on him.

To the bolded, not sure where those “solid points” have been the past 3-4 years. JPs stats are no different (actually JP is better) the past 2+ current seasons, 55 pts for JD to 71 for JP And we can agree that JP isn‘t an option neither.

like Nancy Reagan said, just say no.
This is a horribly disingenuous argument consider how many more games JP has played, all of them being with McDavid.

Look at ppg, look at linemates.

Removing some pressure off of him could be impactful. I watch Montreal games and Drouin looks supremely talented out there. For one reason or another the goals aren't going but that could be a confidence issue with someone who struggles with mental health. A reset in his career could provide beneficial.

Bring him in even as a FA, preferably at the deadline with an evening out of salaries. Drouin retained for Puljujarvi and whatever else to make it work financially would be 100% worth it in my eyes.

This guy could take off at any minute.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
This is a horribly disingenuous argument consider how many more games JP has played, all of them being with McDavid.

Removing some pressure off of him could be impactful. I watch Montreal games and Drouin looks supremely talented out there. For one reason or another the goals aren't going but that could be a confidence issue with someone who struggles with mental health. A reset in his career could provide beneficial.

Bring him in even as a FA, preferably at the deadline with an evening out of salaries. Drouin retained for Puljujarvi and whatever else to make it work financially would be 100% worth it in my eyes.

No, I disagree. He's had plenty of opportunities over the years, and his junior skills just aren't translating over. It happens. He's played 9 years now in the NHL, and has 15 goals and 58 pts. in the last 3 seasons (no goals, 12 assists this year). He's only played 115 games the past 3 seasons too.

5.5 million for what? Jeebus...anyhow, big red flags and no.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I’m not sure how much more pressure you can relieve on the guy to help his career turn around. The team he’s on is playing exactly to the preseason expectations. They are in some kind of bastardized rebuild and the org and fans know it and expected the results they are getting this season

But trading him into the Edmonton market to shore up the winger depth scoring and then putting him with Connor and expecting the chemistry to be there and the points to flow like manna from heaven seems like going from frying pan to the fire as far as expectations go.

I mean look at how JP has done on McDavid’s wing. He’s not lighting it up there, neither. It’s a heavy pressure spot to be put in. Drouin would likely be another in a long list of failed acquisitions and experiments if he was put there and expected to suddenly turn into Gretzky’s Kurri.

Put me down as not a Drouin fan, I wouldn’t want to see that washout anywhere near this roster. It does nothing to address what is needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Drouin has never been a goal scorer. He is a playmaker who like to play on the perimeter. And to be successful he needs to have the puck a lot. His defensive game has always been suspect. He also tends to benefit from a fair amount of pp time.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think people see draft position and think Drouin has some untapped potential but he's played long enough to know what he is. He peaked his last year in Tampa and the pressure of playing for Montreal got to him. He'll probably go to an American, small market team next year on a PTO.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I wouldnt be opposed to a JP and Drouin (@50%) swap because I dont think JP is in the future plans and maybe a change of scenery trade works out. The problem with Drouin @50% though is that it still doesnt really alleviate any cap space for this team. It would be nice to run a 23 man roster.

I'd be more inclined to trade Foegele or maybe Yamamoto for Drouin though just to get rid of the 2 year contract. I doubt Montreal would do Foegele though.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I live in Montreal and watch quite a bit of Drouin.

He's progressively regressed each season since he came here, and took off significant time due to mental health issues (during the cup run).

He's supremely skilled, but doesn't battle, and doesn't really play in hard areas, and doesn't really play any semblance of defense. He is a prototypical 'Decade of Darkness" type player. Think of a mish-mosh of players like Linus Omark, Rob Schremp, Jordan Eberle, Marc Acrobello, Sam Gagner.... When they were here, they literally "gave up". They went into each game knowing they were going to lose, and as a result didn't make any sacrifices to win.

When he isn't providing offense, he isn't really contributing, and he's not contributing much offense these days.

I can see why some posters might think a change of scenery might do him some good (like Eberle under Trotz), but I sort of believe he needs to rebuild his game to be an effective player on a contending team, and I hate to say I'd be wary about that kind of commitment from him with his well-documented Mental Health issues.

I see him as a cap dump at this point, and I'm pretty sure he will retire at the end of this season. He seems absolutely done as a player.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I surprise some think the issue with Drouin is his skills lol. The guy is more skilled than Mackinnon. His issues is definitely all in his head
Most guys that get to this level are skilled. What separates them is between the ears. Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. At this point, he screams Euro player.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
forget Drouin then.

I would rather have JP play hard and forecheck on lines 3 or 4 than have drouin who may not be able to contribute at all.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Do you realize half the game is predicated on our team scoring goals as well to attribute to those wins?

Again, it's clear nobody responding to my post has any idea how logic works.

People don't respond to your posts because your posts are non negotiable better not say I'm wrong or I'll dis you posts.

Not arguments as you say but opinions and discussions.

Reactions: Stoneman89

duul

Jun 21, 2010
People don't respond to your posts because your posts are non negotiable better not say I'm wrong or I'll dis you posts.

Not arguments as you say but opinions and discussions.
You’ve misread what I said. I said nobody RESPONDING TO MY POSTS, I didn’t say NOBODY IS RESPONDING TO MY POST — lots of people are.

No comprehension or rudimentary logic can be expected out of you. Waste of time.

Anyone saying wins > sv% has a fundamental lack of intelligence or capability. The same as anyone attacking Connor for not having won a cup yet in spite of his horrible team surrounding him.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I'd still like to see what Drouin could do here and if all it costs is Jesse then why not? Jesse isn't getting re-up'd at $3 million by the Oilers or Habs so his career here is pretty much over, so let's see if there's anything left in Drouin that we can use? If he sucks then don't re-sign the guy ! :dunno:
Drou8n in a 3 way trade .

50% retained twice.

Oilers trade pulju + 5th rounder
Mtl trade Drouin + 3rd rounder
Chicago takes half of half Drouins cap for the picks
Mtl gets pulju for one year.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Meh, it’s a big bunch of money but it doesn’t go as far as it did when Robert Redford was first tossing it around. She’s worth more to you than that amount dude. ;)
Very true! I mean if Robert Redford in his prime asked. Maybe. He’s a respectable good looking dude.

But I wouldn’t let some ugly auston Matthews looking guy do it. No chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad